1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

whishes

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by tdw-socke, Jul 15, 2004.

1. frogger187

frogger187 eat. sleep. frag.

i really do think packages can be optional..it was shown how to do it in the zound thread (by gomjaba i believe)...and i have seen this on several servers...

the downside: you have to F10 on each level change

this proposed mutator (if possible) would basically auto-F10 for you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  2. hmishima

hmishima New Member

Client can get kicked for cheating if client has something that server does not, not the other way around, correct? Perhaps socke can grab wormbo's ear and clear this one up for us...

Not to sound like an ass, but why would the editor even include an 'optional' flag for packages if that was the case Ben?

exactly what I mean frogger, right out of mephisto/gomjaba's thread and he proved that it works.

3. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Well you get me the exact details of mephisto's proceedure and I'll see if I can put it into code with an auto F10.
    It would have to be done in UT2Vote as that has a suitable Clientclass, ClientMenu the works.

4. frogger187

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Thanks but that means nothing as I would need the source code for ucc.exe to see what it does.
    Does this create a file or what, where is this information stored and what is the +ClientOptional ?

6. frogger187

+ClientOptional sets the switch such that when you see the 'downloading myzoudpackage.uax' .... it adds 'F10 to cancel'....thus letting you bypass the download.. no idea about the UCC code..

7. utw-Mephisto

utw-Mephisto Guilty

It re-creates the package and set the flag "somewhere" within the package.
    Therefore you have to specify source and destination uax.

The best way maybe would be for you to create one and compare both files to see what difference it makes.

MAYBE there is something you can see in the UED3.0 as well, but creating soundpackages is really everything I can do with UED, that's about it :(

8. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

Just had a forumer post about score-based weighted voting. I know it fell by the wayside many moons ago. Has anyone else relly missed it?

9. utw-Mephisto

utw-Mephisto Guilty

Not really. I think this option is implemented in the regular UT Mapvoting, isn'it ?
    But I have never heard that someone really used it to be honest

10. hmishima

hmishima New Member

IMHO, it gives the winner too much of an advantage as he can lead to maps he really knows to stay in control of the whole server. Not what voting is about.

11. frogger187

i totally agree... but i am all for giving the dmin power...so i would not be against making this an option...

12. Imaginos

Like I mentioned, I've been thinking about this for a little while. While some view it as giving the map winner(s) too much say in what the next map will be, I also view it as a quiet way to keep order.

If a game is in progress and the players are all accumulating points.. which are weighted for voting and one or more players join and immediately call a vote to try to change the game or map, they will have very little chance of winning unless they get help from the people who have been playing a while.

This happens a lot on my servers. A scrim lets out and suddenly 10 or more people squeeze into the pub game in progress.. if they don't like the map or game they immediately start trying to force something that they want w/o any consideration for the people already enjoying the match. I think this might help prevent this kind bullying.

Thoughts?

13. Imaginos

Also, a votable option that would be nice is one to cancel the vote. If there's an attempt to bully the game, players either have to vote in opposition of the challenging vote, or by not voting, they risk losing the vote.

A cancel vote option should not simply nullify that vote, it should also count against the initiator's # of allowed in-game vote calls.

14. frogger187

i think a non vote whould be the same as a vote against...whoever has been winning should have enough majority to make it such that it would take many 'losers' to actually get a vote to pass (assuming voetpercent=51)

15. Imaginos

True, but a weighted vote from someone in game that negates some or all of the new players' votes sends a message too.

16. frogger187

maybe make it such that if xx% vote against midgame vote that midgame vote is disabled for duration of that match..?

17. Imaginos

There's a thought.

I'd hate to disable the midgame totally at all times, that was the other alternative. The big balance here is to provide as many options for the players as we can while not leaving it open to abuse. I would like the players to have an option to quickly prevent a server hijack if need be. Then, at mapchange, the newcomers can have a say. Be it an equal say, or weighted in favor of players that have been in the game for a little while..

18. frogger187

maybe an amount of time in server before midgame vote is active to players? (getting more and more complicated ;))

19. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

hmm, i still can't drop the idea of savable clanmatch-setups :(

could SavePackage() be of use? it normaly saves single-player-mod standings in the save-dir. Could this be used to save different Clanmatch-setups?

20. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

UT2004 mods cannot save anything anywhere at any time - period.
    All we can do is write stuff to a ini file or a log file.
    All one could maybe do is have 3 or so "default" saves in the ini file and recall them.
    The problem comes in with the amount of code needed as each one needs an option, a calling function, a getting function, a storing function and a deleting function.
    This Save/load area in the ini file can only be serverside, so it has to be replicated to the client and as it is with a 3 game setup the Clanmatch replication is stretched to its limits.
    Thats what I tried to do last time, is have 6 games but only 3 visible with the other 3 the so called "default" ones but I ran into serious replication problems.

What might work is if the "default" games have no maps, no servername and no team names, this could save a lot of space.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005