1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

whishes

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by tdw-socke, Jul 15, 2004.

1. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

ok, a new beginning ;)

as we removed the ballowvote=yes/no for gametypes, i can't setup an ictf-only-server, if all our players are clan-admins, as they can (and will) abuse it for playing standard-modes (which i cab't delete).

Now if there is no solution to disallow gamevoting for clanadmins, i thought about a third admin-class.

maybe configurable, what that admin may force, eg maps and mutators, but no games and kicks...

possible?

2. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

There have been quite a few requests now for a 3rd 'configurable' Admin.
    The problem is the 'configurable' part as UT2Vote is not structured in a way that things flow evenly in a straight line as it was built up over time with requests etc, which made it 'patchy' so to speak.

Basically we need one Admin Menu, with several Menu's within that Menu, then each Menu can have different items.
    Once that is done we can now have a 'configurable' Admin.

3. frogger187

frogger187 eat. sleep. frag.

conditional goalscore (DM mostly)....

30 second into the match...scan and see what the surrent player count is...if <x then goalscore = A, if >x<z, goalscore = B, etc etc.....I would see only 2-3 switch points....I know i could do it with votable gametypes...but i would like it to see that..oh..there are now 12 players on this level instead of 4 from last..i will change goalscore to 35 instead of 25. This would be cool.

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

The GoalScore or TimeLimit for any Game can only be set before the game actually starts, ie.. in the middle of a level change over.

5. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

ben, do you remember, when i joined the team or short time before i did, i asked you, if you could add a max-players check for the clanmatch of provote. Now the dumbness of the players didn't die with ut99... they still manage, to set maxplayers+maxspectators bigger than the allowed amount... could you implent it, like you did in provote? if the max-total-players (players+spex) is too big, it would be nice, to first reduce the ammount of spex, and if that's not enough, set maxplayers=max-total-players...
    The bad thing about setting max-total-players to high (beyond the allowed value of the isp) is, that the server-managing-system shuts down the server permanently after a minute, and if there is no real admin on hands, those guys (who of course did the fault) start yelling...

another thing is logging, what admins and clanadmins do with playername. Often enough if something went wrong, nobody is the culprit, and imho it could be interesting to see, what people did... at least, who logs in and out as admin/clanadmin.

6. frogger187

how about a scan at match end...and implement goal score for next match based on that..?

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok - you guys are talking 4.4 stuff here as its too late and too dangerous to break code now to add this stuff.

Socke what you need to do is experiment with how many Players you can fit on a Server at any one time without errors.
    In UT99 the MaxPlayers + MaxSpectators was 32.
    In UT2003 it was said to have increased to 40, some said 50 but to date I have not had any confirmation on this at all.
    The most we got onto a server here a while back was 31, and that was a vanilla server (no UT2Vote) - so until I can get a confirmed MAX Players there is not much I can do.

The Admin/ClanAdmin login/out I may be able to add - will see.

8. frogger187

yes.. i assumed this thread was for 4.4 stuff.. another slight tangent..i have had requests for ut2vote skins..without ut2vote. Can this be broekn out and made a small separate mut?

9. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

Sorry pro, i guess, you got me wrong... it's the same misunderstanding, we had nearly 2 years ago btw :D

the isp limits the total available playerslots for a server, in our case it's 12. Now this limit also affects the spectators, as the isp doesn't care, if there are players or spex connected.
    in all gametypes i set maxplayers=12 and maxspectators=0. But now comes the clanadmin, setting up a clanmatch and he sets e.g. maxplayers=12 and maxspectators=2. max-Total-players now is 14 (12+2) and this is beyond the allowed maximum defined by the isp. his controlling-software detects this "crime" and shuts down the server within a minute permanently...

maybe your own words in the Provote7.1 readme discribe it better ;)
    another thing, as i read the provote-readme, is something like the genpassword implented? meand, if a gamepassword is set in the ut2vote.ini, and no password is set in clansetup, will the general gamepassword be set, or no password?
    You must remember theese 2 things, this was our first contact an i got on your nerves for weeks :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

ahhhhhh - yes I remember :)

Ok so the logic would be to have an Admin entry of say - MaxIspPlayers
    Then if its a Clanmatch - MaxPlayers + MaxSpectators must not exceed MaxIspPlayers.
    So if the Admin set MaxSpecs=2 then UT2Vote will set MaxPlayers = MaxIspPlayers-2 if MaxPlayers exceeds MaxIspPlayers.

Regarding the Clan GamePassword - if the Clan GamePassword is empty then it will use the GamePassword.

11. tuco[HaH]

tuco[HaH] InstaGib Player

While we're at it. It's something totally different, but ProAsm could perhaps code it relatively easily. It's missing for UT2004 as far as I can tell. There were a few alphas from the Tournament thingie from Wormbo, but nothing for 2k4 so far:

The ability to set default skins: the builtins from 2k4 require you to set a default male and female model. Worse, this only really works after you and/or the other player die one time. Even worse is that at least the male character gets reset to Jakob "by any random thing that triggers the odd bug in 2k4". Like, join a different server, join back, then you have Jakob instead of Malcolm.

A light mutator/gametype set to add configurable default models (and perhaps ut2vote's brightskins) would be really sweet :) Because I refuse to add UTComp to my servers unless I can turn off all the crap except default models, which it currently can't.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  12. tuco[HaH]

Another wish:

I myself pay a premium price for the support and quality of my game server provider. So they'll change the server startup line if I ask them too. Others, like Socke :p have less good providers that provide no means of changing the startup line. For those, it would be nice if there were a ServerActor that would automatically add the UT2Vote mutator if it is not loaded. AntiTCC has such a beast, for example.

13. tuco[HaH]

Regarding the MaxIspPlayers, yes please. I myself did a contract violation recently because I forgot about spectator slots in some gametypes :eek: Fortunately, nobody noticed ;)

14. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

XVote will do this and has been around a long time - speak to Imaginos, he uses it.
    I have recently made an XVote2 that will auto update but it has not been tested yet.

15. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

fortunately, our isp now gives us the possibility, to add choose mutators, which shall be run by startup ;) Else, i'd take a deeper look at XVote, but for now i have no need for it...

MaxIspPlayers would be nice ;)

Thanks for clearing the password-thing.

Do you know, or does anyone else know, how the weaponstats take affect on lag / ping?
    means, for a lowpinger, is it noticable? does it affect the playability?

atm we do some tests, and one or two of the very low pingers seem to notice an affect of ut2vote on the playability. I now think of deactivating the weaponstats... is there anything else in the ut2vote-config, causing some kind of lag, which could be reduced?

16. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

17. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

WeaponStats and ChatLog are the only 2 items that could cause a bit of lag and is normally noticed by 56k modem players.

18. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

i just had a test with/without ut2vote (weaponstats activated) for some hours with our most lag-sensitive players. 10 players for 3 hours...

the result is: no difference :D

phew.... ;)

19. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Thats good news and thanks on that as I just go by what others say and although I have tried tests myself, I too have never really noticed any difference.

I think is mainly because most people these days have fairly powerfull PC's and Servers not like when UT2003 was first launched, hell all the 3dfx cards, 64 megs memory, P3's - it seemed to take forever for everyone to upgrade :)

20. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Socke, currently in a ClanMatch the ServerMuts is not used or loaded.
    It seems the ServerMuts normally have the AntiTCC, UTComp, UTSecure and stuff like that and gets left out during a ClanMatch.
    I have now made these Mutators available to the ClanSetup but it seems that all ServerMuts should be used also in a ClanMatch.
    So should we load the ServerMuts during a ClanMatch ?