Which voice chat are using your team ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
instead of ALT-TAB try using F12 and minimize...

...have been known to use the old BFC, which with only 2 people works pretty good, except most voice programs including BFC don't like if your using internet connection sharing...

(BFC = Battle field Communicator - no longer updated, tech sold for new proggy by M$)

DallasStarsRule

making personal insults since 1999
Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
Mad uses rw and I think most other ilcr clans do too. But I hate my headsets so I only use it during clan games.

rw.sobservers.com

Its the easiest way to list your channel on one place so everyone can see it.

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
jesus ancient indeed

today{thats 2005} people are using teamspeak 2 or ventrilo for infiltration;)
oh with ts2 you can also use ts display or ts overlay two different means of displaying
the names of people who are speaking at the moment

Last edited:

fxo

Sep 16, 2005
"Whow, that thread is really ancient."
Sorry, I forgot to check the date.

Crowze, what do you think the review is lacking, id appreciate any feedback as I plan to update the review.

Thanks!

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
OK... firstly, Skype is not an instant messenger with voice chat capabilities, technically it's a voice chat program with instant messaging since it was designed from the ground up for VoIP (a mere technicality I know, but I'm like that).

Next, I'd mention something about OS and server support. As far as I know, RW is the worst with only a Windows server and Win/Mac clients, Ventrilo has multiple server support but only Windows client, and TS has both Windows and Linux server and client. Skype is peer-to-peer so no servers, but it has clients for pretty much any platform imaginable.

Next, perhaps a bit more quantative analysis of voice quality. This needs some audio analysis software and a fair bit of time, and is probably too much effort for too little gain. Still, I wouldn't mention at all what they claim to be their sound quality, rely only on what you hear. CPU usage might be a concern too, especially for gamers who prefer their CPU to be working on the game more than anything else.

Finally, I'd have a short list of features for each one - your glossary would be a good place to start. For example, Skype doesn't have push-to-talk or voice activated, it is always on, which can be a pain sometimes.

fxo

Sep 16, 2005
Thank you Crowze & Nukeproof, thease are very good points.

I admit that taking quotes from the programs homepages was pretty lame, even though I only did it when I thought they matches my impression. I must've been tired *coff* Thease will have to go.

On the 2do list:
OS and server support.
Platforms where sv/cl is available.
Feature list.
CPU usage.
Server administration overview.
Thank you note to you guys.

It will probably take some time to add, I already spent 20+ hours on this article. I thought I could whip it up in a few hours, but speach testing & installing the different programs took quite a bit of time.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback (& for not hanging me for thread resurrection), I really appreciate it!

Last edited: