1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which language(s) are you learning and why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NiftyBoy, Jul 10, 2005.

?

Which language(s) are you learning?

1. Romance (Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian, etc)

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Germanic (Norse, English, Swedish, etc)

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. Celtic (Gaelic, Irish, Cornish, Manx, etc)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Slavic (Czech, Polish, Russian, Ukranian, etc)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. African (Hebrew, Arabic, Xhosa, Mandinka, etc)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Dravidian (Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Uralic (Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, etc)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Sino-Tibetan (Chinese, Tibetan, Burman, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Eastern Asia (Japanese, Laosian, Thai, etc)

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  10. Other (specify!)

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

I was wondering 'cos I'm an amateur linguist myself :) I'd been dabbling in lots of languages on and off until 9th grade in high school when I chose French just because it was either that or Spanish and I didn't like the sound of Spanish. Since then, it's been the only one I've stuck with out of the dozens I've attempted. It'll be coming on 5 years this summer since I started, and I'm pursuing French as my major in college. Something about its balance between rules and exceptions to learn and a sort of mysterious logic its structure has really appealed to me, and the combination of absolutely disgusting words (rire, crépuscule, gonflable) and beautiful ones (colombe, aube, aléatoire) was a perfect mix for me :)

Who else here is learning a foreign language, and why did you choose it over others? I'm talking about a serious hobby, not just a few phrases you learned so you knew where to take a dump in Qatar.

I apologise about some of the rather unscientific language "families" I made... anyone who's done a little bit of linguistics knows there's an assload of language families... I tried to get in the most common I'd say :) Specify if you're not on the list!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2005
  2. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

he, you chose French because it was easy? are you kidding me? :p
    Also, what do you find disgusting about "rire" or "gonflable"?

Personally, I've done a little Italian in high school, but I've probably forgot most of it now since I never had the occasion to use it :hmm:

Obviously, I've studied english, from secondary school to graduation. And you may as well remove it from your poll since all of the foreigners on BuF will choose that ;)

3. namu

namu Bleh.

French, english, italian, japanese. I forgot to check "Other" for ummite :D

4. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

Where'd I say anything about easy? I didn't know what I was getting into when I started, but I've certainly known for quite a while. I own several grammar books, including Le Bon Usage, and I'm very familiar with a plethora of its tiny weirdnesses. I needn't get into examples I'm sure :eek:

I find "rire" gross because of the proximity of two guttural Rs, which don't normally gross me out, but in words like that, "rare" and "erreur", it's just too much at once for my tastes :p I guess "gonflable" doesn't disgust me... it's just stereotypically pompous-sounding, like you expect a "honhonhon!" to come right after it :D

5. G-Lite

G-Lite ftw

Objective-C, C#, Boo, Ruby... ;)

6. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

i had to do french at school then stopped languages didn't like them

7. Jesus

Jesus The _Real_ Jesus

none at the moment, but i am going to take both german and japanese, then visit both germany and japan.

8. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

I've started to learn Dutch in my spare time since a lot of my mates speak Dutch, and have problems speaking English so I thought it'll probably be best for me to learn it :)

9. novak

novak New Member

English, Finnish, Swedish and a little bit of German and French.

10. BillyBadAss

BillyBadAss Strong Cock of The North

I'm learning Japanese because I am going to be getting married and moving to Japan sometime next year.:)

11. Peavey

Peavey Rattus Norvegicus

I had 3 years of German under my belt until our ****ty high school pulled the program. Those ****ing Nazis. I love German though and anyways, it was the only "strong" language available. I love how it sounds and when you speak it; it feels good! It excercises your mouth kind of. I've always thought "strong" languages (Russian, Romanian, German, etc.) were very sexy too. Too bad my girlfriend doesn't like it :(

[edit] and it's always been my number one fantasy to be told intimate, loving things in a foreign language. That would be so enthralling.

[edit2] But not from anyone on BuF. Sorry guys ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  12. _Zd_Phoenix_

_Zd_Phoenix_ Queen of BuFdom

English i guess...i mean i thought i was pretty good with it before, but it turns out theres a large portion of the language i'd never heard of :hmm:

13. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

Learned English and French at school, continue learning English by... using it. I'm supposed to learn Serb [Slavic language] because that's where my girlfriend is from, but I'm lagging with it.

14. K

K i bite

Spanish because you can dominate in texas if you know it.
    But I voted for Japanesse because I am tired of reading subtitles cause i'm missing the artwork.

15. Myrmidion

Myrmidion Re-edifying the post-panarchic duodonemy

English, and I'm bad at it. ;)

Seriously, the MFL courses in English (state) schools are utter ****e. You see all these other people strutting around with three languages and the same degree that you have, and you wonder how the education system differs. :)

16. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

Took 3 semesters of Spanish and one of Latin. I <3 Romance languages, apparently.

17. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

Too many programming languages to enumerate :)

Oh, and I can read Spanish...

18. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

I didn't realise so many people liked languages as opposed to just doing them in high school because it was mandatory or just 'cos they had to survive in a country.

das_ben, Namu: how proficient are you in French? Do you plan to do anything with it beyond a hobby? I'm proficient enough to understand most of the language in French versions of games I have (Half-Life 1 & 2 and Diablo 2 at the moment) and watch the news online and catch most of it :eek: I hope to finish my BA and get my MA there, probably in Rennes since PSU has a program there :)

19. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

well, since Namu is french, I guess he's pretty proficient :D
    Although it doesn't mean much, I'm french and my spelling and grammar are pretty poor, or, as I like to put it: my english is better that my french :(

Something I've done to improve, both my french and english, was translating articles on Wikipedia, you could give it a try.

also, "Parmi les tiges oubliantes" is pretty weird, comment une tige pourrait oublier quelque chose? :p

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  20. CyberSirius

CyberSirius Mostly dead.

French and English

French = Mother Language

English = Communication