1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which engine is the best for INF2???

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Lidzsvars, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Lidzsvars

Lidzsvars New Member

Ok, no Joint Ops as engine for INF2, but what about Battlefield 2 and other new game engines???

2. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Right now something is being made using HL2's engine. Whatever will be best for whatever comes after that is impossible to know since "whatever" isn't out yet. Which is why the current project is somewhat scaled down, awaiting the release of "whatever". Or something.

3. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Inf 2 is for Unreal.

:p

4. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

Damn crowze beat me to it. :D
    But yeah seeing as we're on 2.9 now all speculations are for 3.0+

5. Burger

Burger Lookin' down the iron-sights...

What are the best engines and their games that are available?
    Is there an engine comparison that we can find somewhere? (other than buying the games and trying them ourselves)

6. zeep

zeep :(

Atm i'll have it on any engine please. Don't care much for high-res-looks-blah, i just want to aim and shoot. But hey, maybe OFP2 will offer the goods.

7. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

BF2 engine is worth giving it a look! very good mod surport at first look (python is way easy to learn too). Fog isn't too overused like it was in 1942. Potential is there.

Check out the demo if you haven't done so yet.

8. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, not BF2. I don't like EA, I don't want to buy from EA, and from what I've heard, they did another fine job of maintaining their policy of "Release now, patch later." Not to mention that it's support for lower end systems is apparently quite atrocious. On a side note, they treat their engineers like **** and produce massive numbers of expansions, so the consumer is forced to pay more and more to play a complete game. For those, and other reasons, I have chosen to boycot EA.

Besides, the new Unreal Engine looks like the way to go, in the end.

9. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Similar position here. Not to mention the server browser is crap, and currently it has so many annoying problems (notably the key binding not allowing you to use certain keys). I think the team made a good choice to go to HL2, and it will be a decent stepping-stone to keep things going until UT2007. Whether they move to UT2007 will be decided nearer the time.

10. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

From what we got now, HL2 is a good choice.

11. Fat Marrow

Fat Marrow Vegetable

The Unreal/Halflife etc games engines seem to be focussed towards creating small, lush, detailed spaces. Support for larger/more open maps (which suit Inf more IMO) seems to be getting worse unfortunately. Far Cry did a reasonable job with level of detail tweaks and hacks, but I understand it's no good for modding.

The sad fact is that plain old UT is still the best choice for some kinds of maps...

12. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

It does, however, stop rendering players after a certain distance (if you aren't 'zoomed' on them), something which annoys me to no end.

The scale still isn't large enough for vehicles to operate in a truely realistic manner (see: every aircraft, and most weapon ranges) and the infantry shooting model is simplistic at best.

If BF2's modding capability is as weak as BF1942's appeared to be, I think trying to make a 'realistic' form of the game is an exersize in futility. I'm not sure I'd want to play them, either, staring at a blank screen for 9 minutes after I get hit with a stray artillery shell just isn't fun.

13. geogob

Well for one thing, on a way to realsim, you'd remove the planes and change the artillery system. The ballistics could be a problem though (especially if you want to do complex and crazy stuff like I want). I just started looking at what can and can't be modded.

14. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

Me thinks you should take a closer look at the UT2k7 engine demos. Epic is trying to make this the end all be all engine when it releases. They showed vast cityscapes against an ocean with not a bit of fog. They were trying to sell game makers on its usefulness for racing games, mmorpgs, etc.

15. Fat Marrow

Fat Marrow Vegetable

Then I shall look forward to 2007 ;)

16. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

It's announced for 2006 - which means looking forward to 2009 ... for INF ;)

17. geogob

INF2010 sounds cooler

18. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Will we still be using M16's? :D

19. geogob

No you'll be killing the enemy using telepathic mind rays.

20. Kitty.cat

Kitty.cat It'll work, just not the right way.

I think it's CLEAR we need to use UT2k7. Two reasons. A: HOLY **** HAVE YOU SEEN THE THING!? IT'S A BEAST!. And B: UT is Mac Supported ;) (HELL YA). Though I honestly wonder if my super duper Apple G5 will be able to run UT2k7 decently. Scary thought o0;