Where to Start?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemo2423

Apr 24, 2004
This is a question to all the modelers that have spent some time producing work and have a stance on where to start.

My question is on where newbies would or should start to explore to get into making models of there own. Are there any tutorials or guides that people know about that would help. I have seen a few published books that are supposed to deal with modeling has anyone used those? Any help would be appreciated.

I went over a list of popular modelling programs a little while back here which would be a good start for reading as a (very) brief introduction to what modelling packages there are out there. The one you choose would depend on what type of modelling you're doing and your budget :D

As for tutorials, I don't really know of any good ones to recommend, apart from the Video Training Modules (VTMs) over at 3D Buzz which are excellent, but as far as I know only cover the more expensive packages - 3ds Max, MAYA, trueSpace etc. so if you're using any of them you could do much worse than take a look there (if you have broadband)

Hope this helps,

Nemo2423

Apr 24, 2004
Thanks for a starting point Voodoo. Which modeler do you use? I have access to Maya from the unreal cd and I think I have 3d studio max also not for sure. I'm looking for something that doesnt blow me away with to many options just enough to get used to the way things work.

Good tutorials are what I'm going to need I think. I usually can't just start up a program and figure things out by trial and error like some people. Have you or anyone else used the video tutorials off the new ut2004 dvd? I bought the game before it came out unfortunatly.

I use different programs for different things: my main game development work I am now in the process of (I say that as I am unable to buy it as I live in the UK and don't have a credit card grrr) switching over entirely to Caligari gameSpace, I tried the demo and liked it, like you said it doesn't blow you away with all the super-high poly options etc. that things like MAX do, and it's at a reasonable price. I started out modelling with Milkshape and found it very good for low-poly game models, but MAX's interface is better and easier to use I found. I would recommend Milkshape myself, although I have no experience at all of MAYA and the PLE of it that comes with UT, so can't comment on that I'm afraid. I don't own UT2004 (don't ask me why!) so don't know :?

For high poly experimentation and the odd bit of school work I use 3ds MAX, usually 5 but sometimes 6.

So, I'd recommend some experimntation in Milkshape to learn the basics, then you could try out Maya as as it came with the game, I would assume it is able to export to the game :D

I'll try and have a look round for some good tutorials, but can't right now sorry.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
here's some info on MilkShape as used for UT2K3 -- pretty much the same processes would be used for 2K4. page has links to tutorials as well.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/MilkShape

note that the newer version of MilkShape (1.70) can do skeletal mesh modeling & export as well. there should be some info at the ChumbalumSoft site, or you can search this & other forums, for tips on getting the psa/psk exports to work properly (it's a bit tricky, i hear).