1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT Where does your map making process start?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by xebo, Apr 14, 2011.

1. xebo

xebo New Member

I've edited maps with UED for at least 5 years now, but I've never made one from scratch; I never know where to start.

How do you guys start the map making process? Do you decide on a theme, a goal, a look, a feel to the map?

Any experience relating to creating a map from scratch would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

For personal work, I usually just surf the internet and look at architecture pictures until I see something I'm interested in exploring, and by then I usually already have a layout in my head. On occasion I'll sit down and do a rough sketch of it top-down, but usually I'll just put the layout into BSP and start architecture on one room, build that to completion to see if the style I had in mind works, followed by the rest.

At work I usually have a narrative thread that we want to explore, so we think about what could and what should happen within that narrative, and then start building around that.