Wheel of time has great node builder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I found out that wheel of time has awesome node builder, but it won't help me since the maps saved under wot won't run in Unreal. But no bsp holes at all, even with the unreal psx maps. So far it ha sbetterbuilder than 220 had.
I copied woted.exe over, it worked but the node buikder must be in editor.dll or something.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well while rebuilding the maps, I found that UT2004 node builder is faulty as well. But Unreal2 had absolutely the best BSP results ever. Really hands down Legend, for at least making decent node builders.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Oh. Usually I'd say that it shouldn't be like that and you should be able to achieve the same by messing with the sliders in other Unreal games, but in this case I do know that Legend used to implement optimisations to their BSP building code, such as the "One zone per ZoneInfo" which ensures that you don't go over the 64 zone limit and don't accidentally create small zones that are prone to BSP errors. So there could be more optimisations indeed.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Oh. Usually I'd say that it shouldn't be like that and you should be able to achieve the same by messing with the sliders in other Unreal games, but in this case I do know that Legend used to implement optimisations to their BSP building code, such as the "One zone per ZoneInfo" which ensures that you don't go over the 64 zone limit and don't accidentally create small zones that are prone to BSP errors. So there could be more optimisations indeed.

I never could achieve the same, in my current Unreal build there is invisible collision hull bug at one place, bypassable but still annoying.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I've just fired up the old WoTEd and this is true. The closest thing to the node ratio that Arena_01 has that I've managed to achieve in UT UEd was by setting Ignore Portals to maximum (0%), then Minimise Cuts at 10%. However, when I fully rebuilt the level in WoT, the ratio went down even further, which means that like many Unreal maps, that one was built with a less efficient builder. Interestingly enough, the maximum depth there is quite low compared to what we get in UT UEd, yet the node ratio is superb.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Portals should be at 100 percent at best, not 0 percent, like you claim. I mean it is supposed to cut the portals, not ignore them.

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com
Leo, try building a map in WoT that has only editpackages of Core, Engine, Editor and Fire, then try loading it in unreal 225f+/UT432. Unless the core packages are modified it should work. If not upload it somewhere and I'll see if anything can be done about it

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I tried it before, the map didn't load, I'll see if I can find the map though, but I can't find it now.

I will just make a 256 cube box map and upload that one then...

There, attached it.

Attachments

• boxt.rar
    1.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, it's the other way round. Ignore Portals is what you want to use under ideal conditions. On DM-Gothic, with Ignore Portals I get 2.29:1, while Portals Cut All is 2.36:1. That's because Ignore Portals means that they are treated pretty much like standard geometry - the BSP optimiser can put them in the tree nicely. Portals Cut All also cut the tree down, but on the positive side it ensures that portals work right. In short, if the map is created properly, that is, all zone portals were added the last, then you are supposed to go with Ignore Portals. If they weren't, then you're forced to go towards Portals Cut All, because otherwise zones will start leaking, which in turn will make it more difficult to optimise the map. And that's why it's a slider, not a radio button, you're supposed to experiment with it to see where zones start leaking and put the slider just where they don't yet leak.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I can't find it, but I can try again to build it (i have the T3D). Except waterzone is in the WOT specific files (not engine or something), since waterzone was modified in wot to be dynamic for water rising etc, so I would need to do rebuild afterwards anyway, to get rid of the actors. Which is painful really and it would have no effect in the end.
Unless you would tell me a trick to get around that.

Last edited:

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com
You could try to put in a regular ZoneInfo with
bWaterZone=True
ViewFlash=(X=-0.078000,Y=-0.078000,Z=-0.078000)
ViewFog=(X=0.128900,Y=0.195300,Z=0.175780)

and it should act like a normal waterzone in build.. unless WoT changes bWaterZone building natively.

edit: readding actors is as simple as Select All -> copy-> paste in unrealed 2, I don't know if WoT supports any of that.. BUT you can take the t3d, edit it slightly and copy paste stuff back in.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yeah that could work, thanks. But give me time on that. I will pm you eventually with the map.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[]KAOS[]Casey;2501302 said:
Hey sweet, check it out.

http://www.klankaos.com/227WOT.png

What build settings are you using for this, btw?

I think I used 8 this time around, there is a little hom in the end room afaik for some reason though, although i can just mask it using some sheet.

So, it can load WOT maps now or something? The 227g Ued? The last version I have of that is from like September or what and I just tried it and it can't load these maps, so I guess you implemented the compatibility now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.