What's your most annoying bugs in INF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
I'm sure all of you have had some bugs while playing INF, i guess most of them were mere annoyance. Some might be related to UT itself, to the mappers or INF itself... Well, what were they?

Mines :

-Getting stuck (somewhere on a map and unable to unstuck myself)

-Making unwanted stomping sounds (you fall from 2 cm and are as noisy as when you fall 2 meters)

-Disapearing objects on a map (Trees and bushes are notorious)

-Seeing through wall (it happen to me on some maps, i can see if someone is close to the wall on the other side)

-Troubles navigating on some parts of a map (like the tight stairs on the tower of Cosovo)

-My weapon jam on screen for half a sec (unable to aim it while i need it the most)

-Hitting walls when i was carefully aiming around them :( .

-When footsteps sound don't work and i really need to hear them :(.

Well, i leave some for others to write :).

funkstylz

I CLEAN TEH LATRINE
Mar 15, 2000
Bris. QLD, Oz
www.funkstylz.com
Let me see if I can help \ elaborate it.

<i>-Getting stuck (somewhere on a map and unable to unstuck myself)</i>
If you could elaborate where and when, and the maps aren't too old, we could maybe fix this.

<i>-Making unwanted stomping sounds (you fall from 2 cm and are as noisy as when you fall 2 meters)</i>
Not my department sorry :D

<i>-Disapearing objects on a map (Trees and bushes are notorious)</i>
This could be LOD, or it could be a BSP error (Azteca and the Truck), or it could be that your in the centre of a blow up deco. If you stand on the centre of a deco mesh, it will dissapear. And because we chaneg the scale of some things (Bushes mainly) this is a bit more common. Nothing can be done about it as far as I know, without making a blocking radius around said deco.

<i>-Seeing through wall (it happen to me on some maps, i can see if someone is close to the wall on the other side)</i>
Thats video issues baby, and there is definitely nothing we can do about it, save making every wall a thick one.

<i>-Troubles navigating on some parts of a map (like the tight stairs on the tower of Cosovo)</i>
I can definitely answer this...and it's "Kosovo" :D

So many people wanted access to that tower, I had to put it in. And the only way to do that semi properly, was those stairs. They are hard to get up if your not walking, but not impossible.

<i>-My weapon jam on screen for half a sec (unable to aim it while i need it the most)</i>
Never heard of it...lag or slowdown maybe?

<i>-Hitting walls when i was carefully aiming around them :( .</i>
Hmmm...Beppo's weapon collision is superb, so I'll have to say your too close on that one. Take a step or to back from walls you wanna fire around.

<i>-When footsteps sound don't work and i really need to hear them :(.</i>
This may occur on maps that don't use our tex packs...or older maps maybe. All footstep sounds are assigned to textures, and ALL of ours as far as I'm aware have been setup and working. The simple fix is to get the mapper to add them...it's easy, and only takes a few minutes. The DL is the only issue, as the texpacks could be quite large.

As for hill sliding, I've heard of it, never seen it, and don't know what it is....can you guys describe it for me please? Sounds like Tribes2 or something :D

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I'm not sure if this is one of the problem.
Getting Stuck - example: in maps like Panzer, there's a spot near the sandbags and the BIG HUGE gun where can make you stuck.
Mainly due to the player model base area is too large compared to his supposed landing area:

l.....l
l.....l
l.... ----
--------l <- lets say, this is your leg. :D

l
\/

l........../
l......../
l......./
l__/ <-- landing area

Player Model Base Area to Landing Area ratio 5:4
happy waiting for someone to shoot you

This is mainly because of UT(along with many other games) game physics. Mappers just needs to be careful, but most of the time hard to spot. No problem in the official mappacks i think

Another getting stuck bug could be that "hill bug" players had been facing. I had not met any of that problem so dunno.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Hill bug:
Players appear to their online brethren as sliding down and stopping at the bottom of the hill, although the person is still on the hill, effectivly rendering him invisible, and impossible to hit.
Happens on all ranges of connections, packet loss or not.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
1. Footsteps sound too loud.
2. Footsteps sound panned left and right. (aargh)
3. Not able to hear further away. ( explosions (except distance fx sounds). IRL you can hear footsteps, other sounds from further away then in inf.)
4. Distance sounds just panning left right all the time doesn't help determine location of the source
5. RUSH AND GO!! I hate it when inf feels like quake3 with everybody running when i want to be Solid Snake Stealthing.
6. Even tho it's number six it's really one of the main reasons i play inf less :( : Only team DM gamemode... I want to ARCHIEVE stuff and DO stuff in a level. Let my buddies run and shoot and let me stealth to get the Document / Hosties / Vip / Radiomessage / Anything from the enemy.

.ehm.. sorry i only should have posted bugs. then forget i said 5 and 6.

Last edited:

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
hill bug!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also hate it when some1 camps behind an invicible hummer in azteca :(

ive got stuck once in sicily.... quite annoying, but i still got 2 frags trowing nades :p

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Re: Re: What's your most annoying bugs in INF?

Originally posted by funkstylz
Let me see if I can help \ elaborate it.

If you could elaborate where and when, and the maps aren't too old, we could maybe fix this.

In relics, at the entrance where there is some rocks (rumbles?). Depending the way you choose, you can get stuck, unless jumping.
In Kosovo in one area. An open ruined house where it is difficult to enter (I think it is not far from the tower).

Concerning the tower's stairs in Kosovo, I like it like that. It happens these stairs are pretty dangerous to climb them running.

And yes, the hill bug. It is annoying also for the sniper in the way you cannot profit anymore of upper positions.

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
bullets that dont miss or hit
with robar for example you dont kill but accuraty says you didnt miss either. and if you didnt fire befor you'll still have no % rating meaning you havent shot yet

40mm that dont kill when exploding extreamly close to ppl (inclouding right on them)

hill bug

movers breaking on-line when they got shot while they where moving
never happens in UT so why in inf?(my guess is the weapon pentration)

p90 pentration bug

shotgunshell boxes : who the hell would cary a cardboardbox filled with shotgunshels into battle????????????
and they suck A LOT when exploding ammo is on (1 bullet to many in CQB and bang your dead)

Originally posted by Lolo Konijn
Just a minor bug, but I would like to mention it: Headshots don't count as hits.
yup notest that 2

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
the movement system... I can't stand the movement system..

the crouch bug.. i use the "hold down to crouch" button, and if you hold it down too long, when you let go, you stay crouched... This gets me killed a lot.

Along with the crouching deal.. I die a lot because my guy won't stop going (pick a direction) until i hit buttons.. This is something to do with inertia and it needs to go!!

Oh... MAPPERS... you bunch of homos.. I'll be able to fire though 1 create, and a create the exact same size, just in a diff part of map, i can't shoot through.. PICK ONE AND RUN WITH IT! Kaz is a perfect example of this.. *slaps Raekwon around*

Those are my 3 biggest issues, they cause me to die way more then anything else you can toss at me.

and zeep, they said bugs, not your opinion of the game. The only opinion making in this thread is which bugs you feel are the worst.

Oh i forgot 1... the weapon collision. I'm sure the team knows this needs serious tweaking, but i'll say it anyways!! I can sometimes just sit behind a crate and have my gun go into it.. and once in a while it gets stuck.. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.. so i camp in open areas!! And if you stand next to a wall and move your mouse fast through the wall, you will make it through with your weapon.. this gets very annoying in many situations.

shiftless

jalalabad-ass
Jun 5, 2001
san fran
The bug that lets a soldier carrying a pair of automatic weapons, a grenade launcher, and a 50-pound backpack run at Carl-Lewis-on-meth speeds for up to two miles. Up hills. Quietly.

- shiftless

Nexus6

More human than human
Feb 3, 2000
Timer reset!! Two guys left, on opposite sides of a large map, last man timer is counting down... Then a dead guy on either team leaves the server and the timer is reset. Minute and a half later, timer starts counting down again, and the timer resets again. I've seen it add 5+ minutes to a round, if dead guys keep leaving. Very annoying if you're one of the dead people.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by BrownCow
and zeep, they said bugs, not your opinion of the game. The only opinion making in this thread is which bugs you feel are the worst.

but hey ..

Originally posted by zeep
1. Footsteps sound too loud.
2. Footsteps sound panned left and right. (aargh)
3. Not able to hear further away. ( explosions (except distance fx sounds). IRL you can hear footsteps, other sounds from further away then in inf.)
4. Distance sounds just panning left right all the time doesn't help determine location of the source
5. RUSH AND GO!! I hate it when inf feels like quake3 with everybody running when i want to be Solid Snake Stealthing.
6. Even tho it's number six it's really one of the main reasons i play inf less : Only team DM gamemode... I want to ARCHIEVE stuff and DO stuff in a level. Let my buddies run and shoot and let me stealth to get the Document / Hosties / Vip / Radiomessage / Anything from the enemy.

.ehm.. sorry i only should have posted bugs. then forget i said 5 and 6.

didn't i just say that?

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
thx for the input guys... keep it comming...

just one thing about continues running/moving/crouching etc BrownCow spoke about:

first: this does happen on all of my keyboards and systems from Win98SE up to WinXP and is double checked by a bunch of friends too..

UT does have a problem with certain key-press-combos. The most annoying one is the "right SHIFT" key in combination with ANY numblock (grey) keys.
ie. ya move forward by pressing num8 and while pressing it ya hit and hold the right shift key too. Then ya release only the num8 key and after one sec ya release the right shift key too.
Ya do NOT stop moving forward then!! and you are forced to press num8 again to stop the forward input.
This effect shows up for all numblock keys in combination with the right shift key. Commands like movement fw,bw,l,r,crouch,prone etc that are used as 'hold' keys and others like 'next weapon' etc are affected. This works for UT and for all the mods out there too of course.
BrownCow, maybe your key setup has such a problem too.

- Beppo