1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What's wrong with NC today?

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by GTD-Carthage, Sep 4, 2004.

1. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

I've just entered NC this morning to see new maps. When I selected one, a 404 came up. What does this mean? Server maintenance? Even the maps I accessed yesterday now show-up as 404s! What's happening here?!

2. [RAGE]Ghostwheel

[RAGE]Ghostwheel New Member

The authors probablly removed the maps just like I removed all of mine, sick of getting lamer comments with a 0 or 0.5 score and nothing more than a stupid comment.

To the Nali staff, I only feel bad for the 2,025 dudes who did download my map and any who might have wanted to in the future, If people are just going to use mappers work for jokes you should remove their comments ASAP, instead you just join in, I hope Nali grows up someday, too sad.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  3. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Dude, don't feel bad about your maps! All you have to do is learn and someday you may even get the 'featured map' award. It's just really that long and that some users here are just really plain bad-@$$ed. It took me a week before I returned to NC3 after being shouted "ROT IN HELL! GUYS LIKE YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE!" too, you know. All you have to do is 'go with the flow' and let those flames cross your head right out off the opposite ear. Just survive the forums' "lock-down" topics and you'll finally get over it. ;)

4. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

You're way too soft to be hurt so by stupid words in the comments. People make dumb posts to the bottom of any review site, nomatter how they are moderated...as long as they are open to users publically. And don't pretend like it's our fault (the NC staff) that "people" are being "deprived" of your maps because you chose to remove them. You can't handle the public internet community, don't comment to the site...just leave your maps for people to download.

5. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Oh, boy. I hope this doesn't start into another flamefest... I'm leaving until you guys cool down a bit.

6. [RAGE]Ghostwheel

No Flame War going on from me, I just decided to remove my maps, not because the comments hurt me but because I am seeing to many low scores placed on maps that really dont deserver it. Someone wrote once that "The kind of map I like may not be the kind you like, and vice-versa" Well I put my maps here for dudes to try and decide themself if they like it or not, and to maybe have a server admin who did like it put it on their public servers, as you can see from my maps the bot pathing is only so-so, just enough to be playable, this is because I only play online and did not care at all for any bot pathing, but I did it anyway for those who do play at home.

Now to the point at hand, if Nalicity allows dudes to rate a map like Atrodeck or Atrodeck2k4 by Redfist, a 0 or 0.5, which obviously anyone whos actually played UT, or has opened Ued can see right off these maps are in no way, shape, or form 0.5 maps, furthermore the comments they leave are lame, like "I just dont like you" Then an Admin joins in with "Wow that made me laugh" and belive me I'll agree some of the stuff is really funny, but the fact you leave all the 0 and 0.5 scores on a map which really dont deserve it lowers the overall rating score, so now a server admin looking for cool maps to run completly passes by a map which he himself may think is a 7-8-9 map because the overall rating is so low he doesnt even look at it. I'm not saying that some maps out there dont deserve 0's and I'll agree that as a map overall my 1v1 Turbine really is only a 1-2, but even its not a 0, When a Nalicity staffer sees that undeservedly low scores are being givin to maps just out of spite, those losers comments should be removed and they should be warned that if they continue to bash a map, just because they dont like the author, then they will be banned.

A policy of leave a rating if you really like or really hate a map, but dont ever give maps that look solid, play solid, and only have minor bugs a 0 or 1, because no map that can actually be played without getting a KILLER headache from it should get less than a 2. I have nothing against this site, I'd just like to see some changes for the better IMO.

7. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Ghostwheel it isn't that I don't disagree with you. The problem is that you yourself are doing the same thing your complaining about. You're out their with Redfist giving maps 10s just cus some other lame dude is giving it a .5 or you're giving another map a low score out of spite of another comment. And then you make comments like the NC staff sucks. You have any idea how hypocritical that is? How frustrating it can be for the admin trying to fix the comments to have even more garbage to throw out?

If there was a way to make sure that fagtard comments would cease to exist, believe me NC admins would do something about it. And when a comment is offtopic like say, someone posting "You rated my map bad so I'll give this a 0, even though I didn't play it" we'll remove it if we catch it. Problem is this thing happens very often. You may not see this on other sites because 1. They don't allow user comments right off the review or 2. If they do, there isn't a large group of people coming to the site to make things lame. NC gets ALOT of traffic and the comment admins do what they can when they, but when people do as YOU do and reply to all these comments on a bunch of maps in the same fashion, that just makes more junk comments.

On a big community site like NC it is nearly impossible to catch everything. And it sucks when people like you tell us to straighten our act when your one of the people adding to the mayhem.

And no this is not flame, I'm just telling you as it is. I've only played two of your maps, but I still think you should keep them all here anyway since NC is one of the major places people come to grab UT maps and your maps will be downloaded regardless of positive or negative comments that appear on the map page.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  8. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

9. quillion

quillion Q-Basics

Can i just say that none of this rubbish would be happening if those two
    (RedFist & GhostWheel) had taken their comments and scores, like 99.9% of mappers here do, Gracefully.

10. [RAGE]Ghostwheel

Hmm, well I only put 10's on the maps that I thought were getting undeserved low scores, and taking a 0.5 from a guy who says they just dont like you is not the way to react, maybe writing something here about it rather than adding 10 scores to raise the overall would be better, but no I wont sit back and accept a .5 score for a map that deserves atleast a 5, quillion you yourself make maps and you know the time invested into making them, now 3 or 4 kids are goin to trash your maps because you gave an honest 1.5 score for their BIG BEDROOM map, this is lame, I try to give honest input on why or why I dont like a map, and if I give a 0 its me being Sarcastic as you should be able to tell from my comment, like the one where I said, "I didnt try the map but from the SS I can tell it sucks", That was me doing just what they do to try and get them to see how stupid it really sounds, but they still dont get it and think I'm serious, I agree that going about it like I do is'nt helping much but when the Admins themself are saying "Wow that made me laugh", I have to think its a bigger problem than just a few punks. Scince I no longer map, and the majority did'nt seem to like my maps for some reason I still dont know because most commentors dont really explain their opinions very well, I thought the HD space could be better used.

11. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

you know the time invested into making them, now 3 or 4 kids are goin to trash your maps because you gave an honest 1.5 score for their BIG BEDROOM map, this is lame, I try to give honest input on why or why I dont like a map

Welcome to my world.

I know that many of those maps are going through some refining by Hourences and other admins to weed through all the crap...but we are human and whichever admin made that comment, I don't know who, probably was having a chuckle. I've never seen an admin do that in a prior situation so probably just an isolated incident, and with all the helpful feedback admins have been getting from people trying to take the petty arguements out things are getting fixed. But like I said, this sort of lame commenting has been going on for a long time and in effort to keep the freedom of speech around here we have to be tolerant of the comments. This of course means that some things slip through the cracks. Sometimes harmlessly, sometimes not.

12. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

Oh and there are plenty of people who download maps here that don't comment so whether or not it seems like everone hates it, there are always those people who just come to grab a map and never post.

13. XepptizZ

XepptizZ What are you lookin at...

The "I just don't like you" comment was mine, hehe, srry for that, but I just see YOU flaming like a blow torch. You've gotta stay cool. IMO Redfist is building up respect. For that I'm now giving his maps fair comments and ratings.
    And you just still don't understand flaming will only make it worse.

By The Way, A remake is when the layout is changed a bit, but mostly changed in geometry or theme, and a conversion is when it stays as close to the original as possible IMO. Conversions of maps between games are called ports I guess.
    I didn't like Hidra's Thread here either as I don't like this one.
    Gameplay is important, but Gameplay+Visuals is even better!!!

GreetZ XepptizZ

14. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Wow. I just left for 12 hours and now there's 8 posts that don't talk about the my main topic...

15. Mister_Prophet

Mister_Prophet .

I havent noticed the error myself, prolly just a glitch in the matrix. It's called a deja vu, it happens when they change something....

16. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

I see... well, thanks. At least I finally got the answer for the main reason for this post... anyways, what happened to GhostWheel anyway?

17. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

I do believe the problem may be solved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So please,everyone superglue your zero keys on your keyboards,And leave comments that make sense,all I ask.

18. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

For some reason, I got e-mail notification of a really LOOOOONG post here but somehow it's not here. The note did say "Reply to Post "What's Wrong With NC Today?"

???

19. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

the message was removed by the author

20. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

Whats wrong with nalicity? just read through all this forum stuff here.it's it's it's Beyondunreal yeeeeehaw.........................Not only does one dare to send a map up,but I see the comments are mocked as well.I see excatly whats up now,time for new people.
    Or a attitude adjustment,all I see here is complete ,rediculas,defense of (how we can flame and still think I.m cool)you guys must sit up all night just waiting for the next comment or map rating you don't agree with,just to think of how can we make fun of them.And I could list pretty much who they are,but I think they know who they are,get them off the site,and there would be no reason for this thread.

LoL I love to see certain people banned just to see how they react,it would be the best dang forum reading of all time.