1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What's with all the Doom3 hype?

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by Fisherman's Friend, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dai

Dai Orgasmetron

funny, isn't it :rolleyes:

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Fragswill......

3. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Doesn't matter, ya bunch of llamas, I still play the good old doom games and having fun. NOTHING beats doom sp :)

4. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

quite a few things do IMO ;)

i think that most people say that in an attempt to sound old skool. i'm not saying you're doing that, nn. we all know you're the fogie of ut ;)

5. NeoNite

daffy duck voice: Eeeeeeeeeeeh.. shhho what..? fogie? I musht me misshing shometing herrrre..

Oldskool? ... nah.. I just won't stop playing old games cause of the hype around the newer ones...

6. i hate you

i hate you 7h3 1337 m0

I play Escape from Castle Wolfenstein sometimes. Im oldskool. Im 1337.

7. Diving Mullah

Diving Mullah New Member

I still think Pong is better than all of these games!

:D :) :) :) :D

8. ravenus

ravenus The Heretic

I often replay the Quake II SP game. There's a great mod for it called Stroggs-gone-mad which does some cool stuff for the AI, although the fact that it wasn't a built-in piece of code does show through pretty well.

9. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

isnt that the one where the enemies try to get away from environmental damage and WONT walk through lava to get to you and such?

10. ravenus

ravenus The Heretic

Stroggs Gone Mad

Not seen them do that. It works on a system of pathing a map, by going to all the areas possible. Some default node maps are provided. I recommend that you create nodes for all the maps (its easy to do: just navigate all areas of the map in notarget) before you play. Or I can send you a zip of all routes, no problem.

The enemies are much more faster and aggressive in attacking you.
    1. The soldiers strafe a lot (a la skaarj) and also go prone to avoid your fire.
    2. Berserkers get over their oh-I'm-so-scared-of-this-one-foot-jump and you're likely to find tem in very unlikely places.
    3. Enforcers track you much better when firing the machine-gun and have an alt fire plasma grenade attack when you go far away.
    4. Gunners are a lot more aggressive wih their faster lobbing of grenades, but they tend to do this even in close quarters which is stupid even if it kills you.
    5. The flying enemies are faster.

All the enemies are more aware of your presence and less likely to be running into walls/ getting caught on environmental obstacles when coming after you. Many even jump down heights and therefore less likely to be in a predicted position, though they sometimes also jump into water and drown before you get to them.
    Remember the sequence in the warehouse level where you can lower a bridge into lava and gib the critters. I tried that with the berserker and he simply jumped the distance to my side of the bridge before it dipped too low.

The difficulty levels vary from 1 to 99 (altering enemy damage capacity). Levels higher than 3 spawn in a random bot with heavy armor to add to your misery.

The mod also gives goodies like a motion scanner.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2001
  11. J. Speed

J. Speed I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

Unreal series have always pushed the Technology package, the story lines are always engrossing the player, the game play is better, the graphics OWN, the sounds OWN, the bot play OWN, the textures OWN, the map editor OWNZ, all i can say is that DOOM3 better have a trick up its sleeve coz it iwll need to even try to beat or match Unreal series of games. I got Q3 it suks i dont even see how ppl could say its better then Unreal games, GOD Q3 SUKS ASS. Unreal engine is always be the best, Come on Q3ppl ill snick u in the back, ill be the only one to know who you.

Yep DTK- Im in comlete/total agreement.

The id games are on a lower tier on all fronts of gaming features as well as game play compared to the Unreal technology and the talent behind the Unreal technology-the DEV Epic, Legend, and DE.

So id will have to really pull a rabbit out of the hat to top U2, UW, UC etc.... because Unreal series of games seem to be at the top of their game.

12. Sir_Brizz

Also all the Unreal enigne games hold their value for longer. People are still playing U1 and it's been out forever. They also release games more often. I don't consider RTCW an id game, even though they assisted in it's development. It's more like the Deus Ex of Quake. Unreal is more fun, has more gameplay, and better graphics. True curved surfaces don't really mean much if you wall looks like a piece of bread.

13. fragswill

fragswill Charismatic Leader

w3rd @ that!

If it aint Unreale - it sukcz!

14. Dai

Dai Orgasmetron

you don't seriously mean that, do you?

:eek: :rolleyes:

15. Dai

Dai Orgasmetron

there are more Quake 1 maps being made and released (and played) than Unreal 1 maps.. just so you know :rolleyes:

16. Sir_Brizz

I'm glad you have all this useless knowledge.... When was the last time you looked to see how many Unreal 1 maps there are? How many maps are being made for Quake 1? If anyone is still making maps for it, you know they are llamas. Quake 1 is too old, way too old. It's lame to make a statement with no backup or proof.

17. NeoNite

Well go play quake1 then boy..
    And oh yeah btw... what the hell are you on about? noob...:)
    more quake1 than unreal maps :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. J. Speed

J. Speed I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

Yes Dai I do seriously mean it. Quake does have some good maps. But when it comes to animations and game play etc..Unreal Tournament has it outclassed. Plain and simple.

You also dont feel immersed while playing Quake games.

Dont get me wrong..Im not saying that id developers are weak, but Unreal series dev. appeal to me and their gameplay is more enjoyable and more immersive.

19. Dai

Dai Orgasmetron

yeah.. I'm the noob :rolleyes:

20. Dai

Dai Orgasmetron

uhm.. Quake's mapping community is very healthy considering how old the game is...

and I never said that there are more q1 maps than u1 maps... I said there are more q1 maps being made and released and played (in that order)

I guess most of you haven't heard of www.qmap.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.