1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(what's up with) JB-Isolated

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by WillySurvive, Jun 15, 2003.

1. INIQUITOUS

INIQUITOUS Purple Monkey DishWasher

cool, the map looks very sexy now, the lighting looks different and the env map on the fluid surface is perfect. i only found a few things :D

-you can trans behind the big rocks in the water
    -the team coloured logos/banners in the bases need a bigger cull distance because they disappear from certain places in the map
    -the trees see through eachother , but this is a problem with those trees that cant be helped i think :( (changing bDisableSorting on some of them (a select few would work, such as the small evergrens behind the walls) might help, but it might also create problems with other meshes showing through :S so id leave them as they are.
    -and one mesh sticking through the terrain in a tunnel

i have screenies, if u want them, just message me on msn and il send em ya or summat.

2. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Thank you both for testing it... Looks like it's almost ready! :)

3. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

ZOMG please use yousendit.
    This place is way too much of a hassle to get from :/

4. G.Lecter

Sorry I don't own any FTP space to upload yet... but getting it from that RapidShare link shouldn't be so hard as long as there aren't 2 paralel downloads... ;)

---
    Spoon said me (*last year* ;)) he'd finish this one whenever he had time. Let's hope it will be soon! :)
    About yesterday testing: Cool, a lot of people joined... :tup: IMO more people than the map really supports. Anyway I think the switches were too easy to defend with 2-3 players staying beside them, so they could be moved to the middle of the room if you agree... :rolleyes:
    For the framerates, I'd like to hear the MotherShip had a bad day and they'd be a bit higher in a day with less ping. :hmm: Adding a kind of structure in the middle would be doing major stuff to the map since I can't see any way to implement it easily (the terrain around the middle, the tunnels and the cubemaps would have to be completely redone...) :( Any 'easier' idea to improve the frames a little?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  5. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Lecter I can give you access to some ftp space if you want :)

6. G.Lecter

Ehm... That would be great! :):tup:

7. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

want me to email/pm the details? :p you'll need an ftp client like WS_FTP if you haven't already got one

8. KingMango

KingMango pwnt

I am so bummed I missed the lockdown testing.

I'm going to play the maps individually and organize some feedback. But I was hoping to play with people. :(

It's super bowl weekend though... I may not get a chance to play too much UT :D

Lecter you don't need an FTP for yousendit. You just web upload and people don't have to click through three different pages, enter a security code and then on top of that, wait twenty to sixty seconds for the dl to become available.

9. INIQUITOUS

how can we get the FPS up? hhhm.. you could make the glass windows into metal so you cant see through them, that would help abit, but its a feature of the map i think, and one that is nice. anychance of making the supports for the walkway thicker? change the terrain to have a bigger hill or something? these are just ideas im throwing at you, hoping they give you a brain wave... remove the collision from almost everything and use blocking volumes would help.

10. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

stand by, i'm taking a look at the fps now... the BSP & terrain are the biggest problems (too much complex BSP that could easily be staticmesh, and 10 texture layers on the terrain! i'm also going to try and downsize the terrain as there is lots of wastage).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  11. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Well i downsized the terrain (it's no lesser quality though because I got rid of the wastage in the old one at the same time. Had to redo the terrain from scratch basically in order to achieve that, using the old terrain as a guide. Limited texture layers to four and got rid of ~350 BSP brushes, replaced with ~80 static meshes, and it's at least 15fps faster than before now. There's a slight quality decrease on a couple of things but it's barely noticeable.

I need to work on the re-texturing of the terrain and making sure the weapon bases are on the ground, then I'll put another version up, as it'll need testing for terrain holes or stray vertices.

12. G.Lecter

Wow +15 FPS sounds good! Hope my crappy card will give them... :D
    Make sure the new terrain is sloped enough to be easily dodgeable... and I'd say move the switch to the middle of the base to compare with the earlier version... Have the arena layers gone? :hmm:

13. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

na haven't touched arena so that's still the same.

I matched the new terrain as close as possible to the old one so hopefully the angles and such should be okay, but it will definately need some testing for things like that.

14. INIQUITOUS

nice one

15. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Okay, here's a new version:

JB-Isolated-Beta5c (may take a coupla hours to get mirrored)

The only things changed are fps improvements mentioned above, tried to do that without screwing anything up. It needs some running around on to make sure there's no terrain holes or other things like that. Other changes should be pretty much transparent.

I also wouldn't mind if some people that were getting bad framerates before would compare the same spot twice and let me know what the difference is.

Still need to move the release switch though, that's not in this version, wanna just make sure the new terrain stuff is ok first.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  16. Hazel.H

Hazel.H Member

Overall FPS is much improved from the old version :) We tested both versions online and looked at the fps at 4 spots (these results are from my pc)...

isolated_fps1.jpg 1. Behind the lock - the lowest fps I could find
    Old: 27
    New: 35

isolated_fps2.jpg 2. Looking out of the base
    Old: 37
    New: 42

isolated_fps3.jpg 3. Sniper tower
    Old: 33
    New: 43

isolated_fps4.jpg 4. Looking along the water channel
    Old: 51
    New: 62

You didn't remove the skins on the lightning gun weapon bases :p I haven't checked all the pickups so the others might still have the default texture too.

17. INIQUITOUS

ok me and hazel.h did a bug hunt whilst also testing out the fps: heres my bug hunt report. dont hate me:

*terrain is sticking through jail walls, in both jails.
    [​IMG]

*in the jails you must only be using one mover for the pupae bars because some are half inside the walls.
    [​IMG]

*this is in the arena i think. this wall support isnt supporting anything. same both sides i think.
    [​IMG]

*a little bit of mesh sticking through
    [​IMG]

*Hazel.H safe and alive under the map standing on a convenient mesh!
    [​IMG]

*Big Bug* Hole in the floor , a big one, its at the blue base in the corner. You can just fall straight through the map here, in this whole general area.
    [​IMG]

*alot of bushes need reposition. theres some outside the jail windows too that need putting back into place
    [​IMG]

*a tiny bsp error maybe? or a hole? i dont know, and its tiny but i found it :D
    [​IMG]

*this is outside one of the jails, a terrain error but its really small and dark and probably should ignore it.
    [​IMG]

*a mesh or something sticking through the wall in one of the tunnels
    [​IMG]

*you can see the jagged edge of the fluid surface at one of the sides
    [​IMG]

*you can get behind those big boulders in the water on one side without the trans and hide and the other side, only with the trans.
    [​IMG]

*a mesh in the water sticking up, only visible from one angle/side
    [​IMG]

*under the bridge the meshes for those boulders or the terrain is too high up and you can see under them and its possible to trans under it and be inside the mesh. normally you would drown but theres an air pocket too! lol
    [​IMG]

INI

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  18. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Lol, nice work! Knew I could count on you... :)

19. G.Lecter

I've checked it out, too. The FPS boost is noticeable, I get 17-23 FPS during hard combo fights with some bots... yep, that's a good number for my Geforce4MX, believe me! :D
    The terrain looks too unpolished in the unwalkable areas and it goes through the jails as INI has pointed already, I assume this is going to be worked on, though... :) I think the terrain would look a bit better if it used the light green layer more...
    I have been running around and dodging terrain up for 10 minutes, here are the areas where I had some trouble. Found a few more minor things by the way... Don't forget reviewing the jumpspots then, I saw the bots do some fool things when dodging-up. ;)

[​IMG]

If the switch is moved to the middle, a small hole on the left of the base, beside the Minigun (you would have to crouch down to go through it) could be pretty interesting... ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  20. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Okay, everything above has been tended to:

JB-Isolated-Beta5d.zip

one thing though:

Hmm all of the weapon bases have their skins removed in the previous version... are you sure you weren't seeing them in the old map when you were comparing fps, or something?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006