1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(what's up with) JB-Isolated

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by WillySurvive, Jun 15, 2003.

1. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Yeah, I can take a look at that. Leave the original panorama in, so I can see what it's like.

2. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

JB-Isolated-Beta4

I decided to do a couple more changes in the layout and placement before releasing it.
    Full Changelist:
    - The jails were swapped and now they are bigger with more monsters, and jail cameras.
    - A big arena, it looks like a small variation of the map, but I think its paths and item setup are quite interesting… :)
    - Added more blocking volumes.
    - One of Hazel’s skyboxes is on the background now… :tup: The map doesn’t look like an isolated island now, though… :p
    - Layout changes:
    · Moved the high walkway.
    · Changes on the terrain to make it easier to slopedodge in some places.
    · Added paths in the sides, with jumpads to the high walkway.
    - Item setup:
    · Repaced the 100Keg by a 100Shield (the player who takes it is easier to kill).
    · Added the Udamage on the high walkway.
    · Now there are 2 RocketLaunchers on the walkway, instead of one in the middle.
    · Moved the ShockRifles to the Bridges and added Miniguns in the old Shock place. Linkgun moved out of the cave and added another health in each cave.
    - Bot pathing:
    · More jumps.
    · AssaultPathing redone, keeping in mind the jumpads now… ;)
    · The bots seem to understand the lifts a bit better now.
    - Aded antiportals down the terrain (although I’m not sure if they are really optimizing anything…)
    - Bugfixes: Fixed most of the bugs that INI reported.

Feel free to say if you don’t like any of the changes avobe… ;)

Known Problems:
    - Glasses:
    · Zwrite worked at first, but I don’t know what happened then, the glasses were hiding almost all the trees… so I had to unable Zwrite again in the finalblend… Therefore, some glass bugs still are there.
    · The shader beside the lifts doesn’t show neither players nor the lift when looking from outside.
    - Most of the staticmeshes don’t block players when dying. BlockKarma is True I think… :hmm: Any ideas?
    - Fluid surface looks too bright…
    - I have to look at the bots more, I smell they are not using the back path properly… If you see the bots acting strange in any place, let me know… :D
    - Do you like the new skybox? Should it be darker?
    - Any place where you can get stuck? Which pipes can you still hide in? :rolleyes:

Have fun! :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  3. INIQUITOUS

INIQUITOUS Purple Monkey DishWasher

which glass are you using? the one that was on the last beta wasnt so godo i think anyway, thers lots of better ones but if u can tell me what glass u want to use ill fix it for you :) (or try atleast)

4. INIQUITOUS

i had a look at the previous beta and the only glass issues i could find were up at the bottom of the lift. the glass thats a brush and not a mesh. i messed around with it for ages and made new textures for the glass and the trees. but i thin the problem has to do with overwrite, but anyway i could fix it but then other things went wrong or sumthing, u can just move the tree away a bit and fixes it bu t i think something happens with the glass downstairs if you do that. but if you just turn that glass into a mesh then it seems to all work fine :) i cant download the new one btw.

5. INIQUITOUS

hazel was nice enough to send me the new one :) i see the changes to the glass but the weird thing that happens at certain angles :( ill keep trying to do something to fix it. is that the prob?

6. G.Lecter

That's why I hope someone will host it in a better place. That RapidShare link sometiemes doesn't work... Just click 'Free' and wait for 30 seconds... ;)

In the new beta, brushes are using a Shader and meshes are using a FinalBlend. At first the FinalBlend was Zwrite=True and I thought it worked, but then a lot of bugs (yes, only at certain angles :)) appeared and had to disable the Zwrite thing. The Shader in the brushes is working fine apart from that one beside the lift... The texture I am using in both Shader and FinalBlend is the one you suggested before (I think it's the same as Beta3's)...

7. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

a mirror for you
    Will go check out the map in a minute.
    Will report back here ;)

edit:
    Just took a look. So much better without the base switching.
    Only thing I don't like is down to preference. imo the Link in the arena by the spawn is not the best weapon.

8. INIQUITOUS

argh this glass is annoying, ive tried hundreds of things and hundreds of textures and can only get as far as it is in the map now. when u turn to the side and the trees disapear, (it only happens from one side tho,very strange) i can only see where this happens downstairs where the locks are.edit:yeah can see it upstairs too :( ive made a new texture that stops that from happening but it creates a different smaller bug i feel. the trees dont disapear but they go "through" the glass at that same angle instead if you know what i mean. i think that might be the best. almost eveyrmap that has those trees and glass has this same problem. anyway ive apllied the texture to a mesh and saved it its own map. if you want it, PM me and you can check it out :)

edit: i cant find a way to fix this really...i wonder if it might b a problem with the tree mesh becasue it only happens with that mesh as fas as i know. its not a big bug anyway , it snot like it happens ina large part of the screen, it only happens at the edge when u turn and if ur running for ur life or paying attentin to the game you shouldnt notice it i think.

9. G.Lecter

Thanks for the new link, Head. It's also in the avobe post now... :)

Any suggestion for the weapon change in the arena? I want the 3 arena weapons to be equally used, and the 3 actual weapons are rather different, having the 3 weapons could be the difference between wining or losing... :p I tried with the LightingGun, but I did not like it. And I think if I replace the Link by the RL everyone would be using that one... Maybe the BioRifle, although I think you already have the Flak secondary...? :rolleyes:

@Iniquitous
    Please, could you use the texture in a substracted cube and attach its file here? :D

10. INIQUITOUS

i think i found the problem :D if you go into the treemesh properties>Display>bDisableSorting and set it to True. that solves that problem entirely. i dont know what this property actually does tho! lol but it fixes that problem. if u stil want the texture let me know but i dont think u need it now.

11. G.Lecter

It does not work here... :( When you set that option to True the trees appear, but then after moving the view out of the base all the leaves disappear to never be shown again... Am I doing something wrong? If not, gimme that texture... :D
    [Edit:]Woot! Looks like it works ingame... \o/ (The leaves disappeared in the editor because I had the skybox active... ;)) Thank you! :)

Is there any bug or exploit btw?

---
    Anyone more has tried it? I'd like to know if you like the moved walkway, the jumpads and the changes in the placement. Is the lift still hard to use? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  12. Aersik

Aersik Turbo charged pogo stick

There are some very odd blocking volumes around that lift shaft. I'm not entirely sure there should be any really, as standing on those ring/girder things is too exposed to be a particularly good camping spot. Thinking about it they're probably there to stop you getting on top of the bases, though i thought those blocking volumes were a bit too restrictive al well. Or maybe I've just been camping too much lately :eek:.

There's also a small hole in the arena.

The lighting (or rather the shadows) struck me as a bit odd. It looks like the shadows have been mirrored with the level, and as a result they are pointing in opposite directions on each side of the main level. I think the red side is the half that looks wrong. They're a bit odd in the arena too.

Haven't really got anything to say about the layout, and for some reason I really like the brightness of the river :).

Attached Files:

13. G.Lecter

Thanks for having a look. :)
    Yep, I think the blocking was placed there to avoid jumping onto the top of the bases, which are blocked, too...

Lol I fixed it in another beta that I scrapped later. Easy to fix, thanks for finding it... :D

Very good point. I was getting very odd shadows (and black surfaces) in one of the sides, that's why another sunlight (with less brightness) ws added pointing the opposite direction. IMO it looks better than nothing, but I will look at this. I will also try to rotate the skybox... ;)

The cubemap it's rather old and I think it should be redone anyway, since the upper walkway was moved and the skybox is different... I don't know how to make that, any volunteers? ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  14. Aersik

Aersik Turbo charged pogo stick

The main problem I had with those volumes is that they extend inside the lift shaft...meaning if you don't move well onto the lift you can hit your head on the blocking volumes and go straight back down again.

15. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

any preferences on the style of scoreboard map?

because it's a skew-symmetric map, I think it has to be a top-down view.

What do you all think of something like this?
    It's a shot in the lighting-only mode.
    I was thining of cleaning it up a bit, and adding some red and blue tinting, maybe marking the main paths out a bit (assuming I can tell where they are! I can see the walkways on other shots, but not the tunnels or terrain paths).

Attached Files:

16. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I think similar to what you have shown thee but closer to the actual map with a wider fov. this would then give you a nice top down lok on the terrain, but you can see the z-axis better on the sides.

17. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

The controls for FOV aren't working for me :(

18. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

you can also do it with a console command which should work.
    I would guess it wouldnt auto config the panorma cam for this, you'd have to do that manually.
    "set fov (number)"

19. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

Ah... got it to work.

I tried marking out the bridges and the paths with solid lines, but I'm not sure it helps to make the layout any clearer.

Here's the map without any extras. What do you think?

Attached Files:

20. G.Lecter

It's OK I think, but looks too bright... :hmm: Why wasn't it made in DynamicLight mode?
    I'll send you the last beta soon, still have to check a couple of things... ;)