1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(what's up with) JB-Isolated

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by WillySurvive, Jun 15, 2003.

1. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Okay, did the optimizations I wanted to do:

JB-Isolated Beta 3

First in, first served... It's certainly playable... any bugs should be quite minor.

I've just been asked to come in to work the next two weekends :hmm: ... so it would be fantastic if someone wanted to finish this off (and it doesn't look promising for me to finish Eightball any time soon).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  2. 4WD

4WD globle

now that's a nice map !

3. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Very nice looking map as we have come to expet from you.
    After being confused by the lift for the lightning gun for a while and looking up the path it takes, I saw that some of the meshes overlap and produce the flickering effect.

In playing this map I found it has a real problem with base switching.

4. INIQUITOUS

INIQUITOUS Purple Monkey DishWasher

i hate these outdoor maps but i can see how this one could grow on me quite easily! it already started to when i found the lightning gun :D

here is INI's bug report after a few mins searching :p

-you can trans under the map and there is no kill volume.add a kill volume as high and asclose to the bottom of the terrain as it will allow.
    -you can hide in the ceilings in the bases ontop of wires and tubes.take the collision off the wires.and add more blocking volumes around the pipes etc..
    -the ambient "bird" sound is sooo annoying, i know, i used it on Nyx! lol to make it less annoying, i took a page from Tokora forest and used sound emitters. much much better.
    Edit:- i didnt see the arena but i will get around to bug testing it soon :D
    -the jails are sooo boring omg yawn. but i like the modified skaarj pupae, very funky! lol :D

and now, onto the screenies!!

[​IMG]
    these holes in the doorways appear on everyone.....just like some in mooncraters

[​IMG]
    nasty bit of terrain shooting through this entrance way

[​IMG]
    another hole in those entrances..this time from a different angle as you walk towards it.

[​IMG]
    you can see into the meshes on these pole supports.can you make a "cap" to eh hmm cap them off :D or add a plug or something lol

[​IMG]
    ow my eyes, apart from the env map being way way too bright especailly when you compare the blue on the env map to the actualy sky..its just wrong and way too bright..but aprt from that the env map or cube map isnt lined up. the screenshots that you used are wrong :(
    have you got your keys binded to get you in the right position for each shot? you need that. it works better from shots in game i think. so once in game do this. press alt+enter to take you to window mode, then type showhud and killall weapons. then type "setres 256x256" and then using the keybinds , get in position and take the shots. they will already be at the right size and angle and u just need to import them :)

[​IMG]
    Mwahaha i just had to show you the screeny :D

5. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

There are few terrain-based JB maps... One like this one was necessary... It plays pretty nice...
    - I don't like all those narrow stairways to go to the higher levels at all... :( A good place to hide with a Flak cannon... :D
    - The Minigun and Linkgun passageways are not very attractive and I am not with having weapons there. I would remove the Mini and Link from there and add another healthpack instead... A Linkgun could be moved below each bridge, and the Mini is not really necessary IMO...
    - Another big powerup on the High walkway might make it more attractive, too (The Amp, maybe)... so a rocketLauncher would go to each side of that walkway... ;)
    - Of course, I am with Iniquitous about those bird sounds... Please get rid of them! :mad:

The work on my own maps is nearly stopped atm (I'm looking forward to get a copy of Max :p), so I could make an arena, add more jumps and slopejumps to the botpathing and work on other minor stuff (more blocking in some places, a couple more lights... ;)) If you want me to finish it, let me know. It will be a pleasure... :D

6. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Go for it :)

7. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

Noooo don't let Lec fix it! he'll spam the map with liftjumps and jumppads! :lol:

Go for it Lec ;)

8. INIQUITOUS

more bugs! and thingies...

these next ones are all cull distance issues i think, although some may be texture problems on the glass from certain angles (glass looks really boring btw, like its not even there)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

next thingies are these:

[​IMG]
    texture on these parts of the walkways are really stretched, it might also be causing the problem from below, if you look up into the texture the trees and other things show through at cerrtain angles and also the walkway itself changes texture very subtly. ill try and look into. its probably just the type of texture used on that mesh ....

[​IMG]
    holes at the sides of the jail doors

[​IMG]
    bots always get stuck at the lift and seem to have no clue what to do there with the switch

[​IMG]
    mesh alignment issues

[​IMG]

two things here. you can see the image on the fluid surface through the bars. adn also you can see sky on the surface in there???? how old is this env map? lol

the wires in the bases need to have collision taken off them as you can hide on top of them. also it would improve FpS atiny bit :) the skybox itself isnt interesting or very nice, i think its boring personally and you know what could really liven this map up? hmmm.... one of Hazel's sky boxes!!! lol

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  9. INIQUITOUS

ok i had a look in the editor and all the trees dont have culldistances on them (the wires and the signs do, and its not worth having them on for such tiny items anyway), what the problem is , is the texture on the glass. it sucks. it needs to be a FinalBlend for it to work completely. and it needs to be twosided and it needs ZWrite = False.

the texture UCGeneric.Glass.glass04_FB is quite good for the glass i think, its got the same orangey touch to it and al lyou have to do is set its property btwosided=true. you should probably duplicate it tho adn put it in mylevel. and change the skins on the glass for that texture as well as the bsp that uses it ;)

10. INIQUITOUS

had another quick look too fix the fluidsurface problem with the grate and the walkway problem. to refresh the problems were these:

-you could see the fluid surface through the grate (not just the holes in the grate lol but the actual metal bits too)
    -the walkways. from below at certain angles and distances they seemed to changed texture and go all blurry and you could see trees through them at certain angles.

wel to fix both of these problems do this:

on the fluidgrate texture "AbaddonArchitecture.Grates.grt02GO_AlphaTwoSided (64x64)" changes the OutputBlending to OB_Masked

and the same on the walkway texture "Shiptech.Grates.grt01ST_AlphaTwoSided (512x512)" change the OutputBending to OB_Masked

i suggest you save these in mylevel after you dupliacte them. also dont forget you will probably have to reskin the walkways with the new texture (i think its the 3rd skin for the actual walkway, not the rails or anything). the grate is just a brush so just hcange the texture :)

11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

nice triple post there ;)

12. Hans Oberlander

Hans Oberlander Member

Let's get another beta with all these things fixed so we can hunt again, too complicated to fix that many bugs at once.

13. G.Lecter

Woot, thanks! \o/. I am starting with it asap... ;)

Lol. :lol: I don't see any place to put a good liftjump but if I could do it... wait, I've just had an idea... :D
    No, I won't do changes in the layout without asking you before... :)

OK, I will post another beta with all the INI-bughunt things fixed in a few days... ;)

14. INIQUITOUS

cant wait to test again :D

15. G.Lecter

OK, I've fixed most of the bugs that INI reported, but they were not so many as I thought and releasing a new beta wouldn't have been worth... No new beta yet, sorry... :(
    Therefore, I began to add blockingvolumes, made the jails bigger, and I am about to finish the arena. Still have to add more blocking and tweak the botpaths... Hopefully I will be able to release something for next week...
    ---
    1. Do you think the jails should be swapped? (Red jail in Red base / Blue jail in blue base)

---
    2. I wanted to add a little change on the layout and I'd like to ask you first:
    The high walkway goes just over the bridges, which means you can't kill bridge-runners from that walkway. In my opinion the bridges are much safer than they look... My proposal is moving the high walkway a little (+/- like the picture) so: Sniper tower will have advantage against RocketLauncher walkway, RocketLauncher walkway will have advantage against the Bridges and the Bridges will have advantage against the lowest terrain... IMO it makes sense... What do you think??? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  16. Vatcilli zeitchef

Vatcilli zeitchef Dead and back

I'd say try it. If you don't like it go back on the old version.
    I did not experience too much problems but in multiplayer I'm sure this could be bad.

17. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

1: YES!

2: Go for the change, wil definetly work better imo.

edit:
    Noticed Ini had already posted this bug

ps I resume You will change the skybox textures for some higher resolution ones?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  18. tarquin

tarquin design is flawed

I'd say try the bridge thing. It looks like a good idea.

as for jails and bases, getting released in the enemy base can lead to all sort of gameplay problems. getting released in your own base seems odd from the 'story' point of view (ie "how come the enemy control a door in your own base?"), but it's much better generally.
    the other alternative is to have bases in the middle, or bases in the enemy base with a clear and relatively safe path back to neutral territory, but both of those would require major work on this map -- not worth it.

19. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Gameplay > Story
    I say just switch the jails.

20. G.Lecter

1. Just swapped the jails, I think they work better (though it's a bit weird seeing your mates jailed in your base bleh... :D)
    2. OK, I will go with the walkways... The problem is that the PanoramaScreen would need to be redone, and that one was so good-looking... :rolleyes: And I don't know how to use Photoshop... Well, if the walkways work well, someone could redo that later... :p
    3. I've also changed the skybox by one of Hazel's [hills]. The mountains look cool, but I am missing the dark blue colour the other box had... Maybe Hazel could darken the sky of 'Hills' a little... ;);)
    4. I like how the (nearly) finished arena plays. :tup: You start inside a building with 3 paths to go outside... The problem is that the bots only take the central path... :( Is there any way to tell the bots to take different paths in an arena?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005