1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What's this ****?

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by Luggage, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luggage

Luggage wins.

In fact I don't mean to be offensive, but since no one seems to listen to my questions in this thread...

All I want to know is why PlanetUnreal kindly provides a forwarding service for NaliCity, if they are so cruel and evil that they delete "the whole history of UT mapping"... *I* wouldn't do that if I want to deal damage to someone who became "illoyal"...

Anyways, I don't see what makes NC different from other PU hosted sites that had their forums at PU and have them on BU now... Maybe it's size, but that would be an argument rather to keep them on the PU servers: Many visitors, many ad clicks.

Mr. Pete, I don't mean to be offensive, but it seems to me like you're just trying to get the community to use *your* servers, and thus clicking *your* ads. I'm pretty sure everyone's so excited and mad at GSI now they will reluctantly move their sites to your servers, and you'll greet them like a selfless savior... But in the end it's all about money, right?

Lucky me, I have nothing to do with Planet- or BeyondUnreal - All I want is to play that game and be informed about what's going on in the development of maps 'n mods. In fact I don't give a ****ing **** about where I get those from - But I do give a **** about people lying to other people and making money of it.

Let's not get ideological, but IMO BeyondUnreal is just as commercial as PlanetUnreal. I sure wouldn't buy servers and a domain just to help people... And I don't think anyone else seriously would.

Peace.
    Luggage

2. diddlysquat

diddlysquat FlamingPsychoTrannyBitch

If life were all good,
    and we lived a life not a sham,
    then where would we be,
    without a litte spam.

Spam is your friend
    through thick and thin.
    This joyous greasy slab of meat
    takes what you wish to put it in.

So have it on toast,
    or on a nice slice of jelly roll.
    But remember there is one way
    and spam should be your goal.

3. Luggage

Luggage wins.

really funny...

4. QAPete

QAPete Chief Muckety Muck

I'd be happy to answer your questions. I don't know why GSI provided a forwarding link for the site. I'm glad they did, but I don't know why - it was their idea.

Nali City is different than other PU hosted sites because it is, by far, the most popular and necessary of them. It's the center of the mapping universe in the Unreal world. Many, many different sites link to the Nali City maps, and those links don't work now, unless the sites update them to the new code on the BU copy of Nali City.

No, it's not all about money. I finance this site out of my pocket. I get ad revenues only when people buy things from the ads on my site. Trust me, if you knew anything about the ad industry, you'd know that it's almost impossible to support a site on ad revenues alone. That's why GSI works so hard at other revenue streams. They're a business, with salaries, huge bandwidth bills, venture capitalists to satisfy, etc. We're a home-spun group of people who are just trying to do something that's supposed to be impossible these days. And we're doing it, without focusing on money.

If you truly believe BU is as commercial as PU/GSI, you aren't paying attention.

Good game. Thanks for playing.

Pete
    -BeyondUnreal Rebel Leader

5. Rabid Wolf

Rabid Wolf Piano Man Ghost

personally I couldn't care less where it is.
    I want the filering back, I want .asp-thingies that work, I want a constantly updated functioning database.
    if gsi was unable to provide these, too bad.
    nor do I care whose ads these are; I ain't clicked any there, and I won't click any here.

6. MalHavoc

MalHavoc Got Root? I do.

Rabid Wolf:

You'll get all of that here. And we don't care if you click on ads, or run blockers, or anything like that. As Pete mentioned, he doesn't make a cent off the ads - the only time we get anything from them is if you see something you like, you click, and you buy. Other than that, don't bother expending your finger energy - put that towards something useful, like firing your ASMD.

7. Luggage

Luggage wins.

Never mind...
    In fact I don't really care who makes money and who does not as long as it's not me *g* And it seems like I just have to accept whatever answer is given, for I'm in Europe and that's far away from the truth :( But in fact I really don't care as long as it doesn't influence "community life"... And I still think this debate is getting to be far too ideological, like the old Nintendo vs. Sega battle :)

Peace, Luggage

8. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

They'll probably get the old posts ported into here. Don't worry.

9. Red Shivan

Red Shivan New Member

no longer forwarded

They've taken the forward off and any mention of Nalicity from main menus.

There is probably someone there with a little common sense that put it in and when the corporate dudes at GSI found out they had it pulled.

GSI wants to rule the world.

BTW, I don't use gamespy anymore. Haven't in awhile. I like to use Kali (remember that?) because it highlites the maps I don't have installed.

Besides, I paid for it years ago, so might as well use it.

10. StoneViper

StoneViper you can call me Mike

Definitally, including that "ZipView" thing also.

11. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

yea well in fact it does effect "community life" and thats why it sucks so badly...

gsi just destroyed tens of thousands of links to 2+ years worth of maps and files that web sites, server lists, forum messages, faqs and etc are all screwed now...

alot of these will never be updated and will be lost... :(

it may not have been done with the intention of hurting the community, but if it wasnt, it was surely done negligently without knowledge of the community and thats almost as bad... :tdown:

12. Luggage

Luggage wins.

They say, Them say too.

Anyways they (GSI) seem to have a different point of view...
    I'm not going to quote every single sentence - you can read em up all in the PU forums - So for me, as an outsider (meaning I don't know either group personally), it's word against word. GSI say they haven't banned NC but that NC went away voluntarily; and the BU staff says they were banned and that GSI deleted all their files.
    I don't give a damn about who's right, as I already said. I just don't like the way everyone's seeking to polarize in this debate... That's something for lawyers rather, not gamers.
    It's not good vs bad here, remember. No one had anything against PU before, right? Ok, we all disagree with FilePlanet, but that has nothing to do with the community. The PlanetUnreal staff IMO always supported the community the best they could. And I don't suppose they'll stop so suddenly.
    I wondered as well why they would suddenly removed all links and references to NaliCity, but when I asked I was told those were corporate reasons. Could only mean there is some kind of lawsuit going on now... But like I said: I DON'T MIND as long as I can go on fragging and publish my maps and stuff. So if *that* is taken away from me as a result of someone behaving illegal against a major gaming company, THEN will I mind.

13. PsychoMoggieBagpuss

PsychoMoggieBagpuss Gone.

Re: They say, Them say too.

Thats the main point.

Problem for PU is that all the mods, (ex)site directors, etc who (as you quite rightfully stated), supported the community moved to BeyondUnreal when it became apparent that GSI wasn't actually paying any attention to what the community was saying.

Anyway thats all water under the bridge now - I hope you enjoy yourself here.

And finally some words from the great man himself

14. Luggage

Luggage wins.

Re: Re: They say, Them say too.

:) *lol* Well, where's that from? Who's Jingo? *feel stupid* :rolleyes: It seems to reveal a lot about the human personality...

Cheers, Lugg

15. krummi

krummi Suicide-o-matic

Re: Re: Re: They say, Them say too.

Jingo is one of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett (I take you know those from beforehand :) ).

16. Ulukai

Ulukai New Member

I only read up to The Light Fantastic then I wandered off...... :)

17. Luggage

Luggage wins.

Re: Re: Re: Re: They say, Them say too.

Oh, guess I should have known... I just read most of the books in German, so I think of different titles... :p

18. Evil_Cope

Evil_Cope For the Win, motherfather!

cool as i beleave those early ones to be, the series definately improved.

19. Ulukai

Ulukai New Member

I'm not convinced. I read a chapter of one of the later books, and decided they had taken a turn for the worse.

:shrugs: Perhaps I had a dud. Each to his own :)

20. Evil_Cope

Evil_Cope For the Win, motherfather!

a chapter? now that is weird, seeing as he doesnt write in chapters ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.