1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - General What's the best/most intuitive 3D application for free/low cost

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Alhanalem, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Outside of less-than-legally obtaining 3DS-max, what are some good alternatives that one could learn modeling on that are either freeware, or at least much cheaper than 3DS Max is? And ideally, allows you to use what you learned on 3DS or another moneycosting program.

2. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

I used to use blender (www.blender.org). It's open source and van do pretty much anything. The interface is 100% customizable but it will take some time getting used to as it works in its own way. But from what I've seen * 3D app has a completely different and immensely complex UI to learn so it is probably not harder than learning Max/Maya/we.

3. Hourences

Hourences New Member

Blender is good but it really has its own way of doing things and it doesn't use an industry standard approach. Its workflow is sub optimal compared to the expensive packages. Their new 2.5 release may improve that though, lets hope so.

I use Silo a lot, costs like 100 euro and it has a superb modeling workflow, following the standards entirely. The problem however is that it only does modeling, and has a strong focus on organic modeling. It lacks a few important tools for low poly hard surface, and it can't directly export to Unreal. You can use Blender to convert its export to an Unreal filetype though.

Modo is the cheapest "real" professionally used package there is out there. Comes in at 800 euro or so I believe.

4. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

Well, Maya PLE used to be free, before Autodesk bought out Alias, which flips my lid to the upteenth degree that Autodesk did away with PLE in favor of a "30-day free trial" after which you have to pay through the nose. I finally found my Introducing Maya 7 - 3D for Beginners Book and the CD had Maya 7 PLE included, but lo and behold...when it asks me to register, it prompted me to register for a 30-day trial of Maya 2010 instead...wow, guess 3D modeling with Maya's not as easy to obtain as it used to be.

5. EQ²

EQ² Code Monkey

It's worth noting that for non-commercial use you can now buy 3ds max "student edition", which is fully functional with the limitation that it's not to be used for commercial purposes, for around £200 (it varies from retailer to retailer but search online).

EDIT: Link. There's a time-limited version that's even cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

There's always the "inofficial" way to obtain said pice of software...

7. Firetaffer

Firetaffer Level 50 ragequitter

If you're starting out modeling, I recommend Milkshape.

It cost $20 or so, and is brilliant for low-poly modeling.

You could try out blender if you want something completely free.

8. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

Idd Blender is great once you get the hang of it.

9. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

You sure Blender is compatible with UnrealEd? I thought it was rather picky about which formats it could use. Of course, UT3 may probably allow for more apps to import meshes from, but I thought that UT2004 and such only allowed meshes from Maya PLE UT2004 Edition, or something like that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

Blender has an .ase exporter plugin that works with UT3. No idea about 2k4, sorry.