1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What's best for Uengine3?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Spiced Hammer, May 14, 2006.

1. Spiced Hammer

Spiced Hammer combo whore wannabe

I'm going to need to build a new rig around when UT 2007 comes out so I can run it and maybe other Utech3 games. I'm going to be using linux, "Mandriva" distro and don't know what will give me the best gaming bang-for-buck in that context or what the engine is like. I know it's still far off, but I'd like to know what goodies to watch closest so I can have an idea of what I'm going to end up with.

I've built a few PCs before so I already know to go for a nice tower & PSU for reliability & longevity, high-RPM SATA(2?) RAID for load time, nice mainboard for upgradability, name-brands for driver support, etc. What I want to know is...

[​IMG] What is known about what kind of performance boost SLI will give for Utech3? (or crossfire in the unlikely event I go ATI)

[​IMG] How much multi-threading will the engine support, if any? I'll probably go dual core AMD anyway, but I'd like to know how much side benefit I'll get for UT.

[​IMG] What's a physics card and how useful will it be, if we even know yet?

I'm way behind the times because computer-wise I've been living under a rock for like a year so. With how much things have changed in that time, I think I'm in over my head... Thank's in advance for your time, and please don't flame for my noobishness if any exists. :puppy eyes: Edit: smiley-owned

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  2. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

SLI will give a huge performace boost to UE3 games. And any new games to come. Seeing as how UE3 is the latest and greatest Engine, it will require alot of GPU performance. I too am planning on building a new gaming rig for UT2k7. I will be going with SLI 7900 GTX 512mb cards. Unless something more powerfull comes out by then. So over all, the performance gain on the SLI side for UE3 will be alot. However, it will run well on a single card aswell. But I doubt you will be able to run everything maxxed out on just one card at highest res. No real specs have been released yet for what is best for UT2k7. It's been said thou, that a 6800 Ultra will run the game in 1024x768 med settings at 30fps. So, it really depends on how much performance you want.

UT2k7 WILL support dual CPU computers. It takes full advantage of the Dual core tech. I'm personally hoping the Conrore (intels new dual cpu chip) to come out around UT2k7. Current benchmarks look like the Conroe has a 30% increase in CPU performance over the best AMD chip currently available. So a dual core CPU really should be a must for the true power of UT2k7

Not sure if UT2k7 will utilize a Physics card (PPU) yet. I am also not sure if I will get one either. Eventually, PPUs will be the norm (like video cards), but that may be in a few years. I don't think any currently released games support a PPU as of yet. Best to wait/hold off on this item until the future.

And the Physics card is just that. Its a dedicated card that does just physics processing. Supposed to help take the strain off the CPU.

3. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

With SLI You'll probably get around 60-70% speed increase at higher resolutions, as long as your CPU can keep up. If you're aiming for the really high-end, SLI is the way to go, but below that a fast single card will always be better than an equivalently-priced pair of slower cards.

UE3 will take advantage of dual core for sure, but with a dual-core CPU - since the physics could be offloaded to one core - the usefulness of a physics card will probably be reduced.

But to be honest, this is all speculation. Best idea would be to hold off until as close to the release as you can, and see some real benchmarks with the latest hardware at the time.

4. Spiced Hammer

Spiced Hammer combo whore wannabe

Thanks again, you've saved me a lot of research time... for now. I'm not making specific choices yet, just trying to get an idea what I have to plan for. Now I know the scalable link thing will do something for UT, which confirms that video hardware selection might be complicated. I've been looking into the PPU thing just now; Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is supposed to support it but the implementation's not very impressive. I didn't even know GRAW was released... From what I read today Utech3 is going to support it too.

What I think the deal is is that physics calculations will be allocated to a CPU core other than the rest of the game or the PPU if you have one. (or, if you're still using a single-core platform it plays in "slideshow mode") We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but so far I think I'll go with one video card and no physics accelerator since I'll go dual core and I don't insist on maxing all the details out. I'll still get a mainboard with support for SLI and hardware physics so I can upgrade later if either bling bling option becomes inexpensive enough I feel it's worthwhile. Maybe my one card will be SLI-capable too if that feature doesn't cost too much- buying a second after the price drops a bit (hopefully by then I won't have to match firmware versions) would be easier to swallow than tossing one card and buying two.

Thanks again, a whole lot, for the good news. If you're right about the use of multithreading for physics that opens up my options a lot.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  5. Gumby

Gumby Pretty in Pink!

Any money on them integrating them onto graphics cards in the not too distant future ;) They take the strain of the cpu and then rape your graphics cards for all they've got lol - bit of a waste of money at the moment at £200 (almost $400 dollars a ppu card) as to put it to full use you need a crossfire or SLI set-up :S

6. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

so is it worth buying a physics card yet?

7. haslo

haslo Moar Pie!

Nope. The Nvidia 8 series is gonna get some technology from their recent deal with Ageia implanted (free update I hear), so we'll have better physics support anyway. And right now, few enough people have physics cards so no single game developer will want to risk sales by only making the game run properly with a dedicated physics processor.

Unless you want those special Ageia maps for UT3, or that physics-centric game they released recently that I don't even remember the name of :)

8. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

what about nvidia cards that one might already own? and 7 series cards?

9. B

B Bee

There is supposed to come a software update that 'unlocks' the physics capability on Geforce 8 series and up. 7 series are not supported.

The name haslo can't remember is probably Cellfactor.

I wonder why they insist on pushing physics on the videocard, I mean I have a quadcore CPU which is idling like 80% of the time (even UT3 doesn't stress it more than 40% on 2 of the 4 cores) why not use that idle time to calculate physics instead?