What would get you to play at FragBU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
A machine that can run a version of UT that I enjoy playing. At this point that would mean running UT, as it's the closest to UT3 (and, to me, the second most enjoyable UT game made) that I can run with any kind of playable efficiency...
But everyone here hates UT3, and the old games have been forgotten or rejected by most, so...

Last edited:

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
Of course! Why would the people who dislike it actually stay away from the community that plays the game they hate? :p

well, I don't think they should "stay away". This community is about all the Unreal titles. But, I just don't understand the desire to poo on threads.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
loosing my friends or loosing interest in pen&paper RPGs on saturday night.
oh and time delay.
While I was in the states, I did participate in a couple of FragBUs :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm not an idiot. Of course this is related to the game. That is the reality we live in, and I'm trying to keep FragBU going for as long as I can.

Well then maybe if you guys put UT2004 back in?

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I have a lot of reasons for not showing up or not staying long when I do. Every time I start up UT3 it asks me for my CD key. It's really irritating. It also loses my settings constantly. My mouse settings have to be changed every time I play because the sensitivity is not constant for some stupid reason. There are various other technical annoyances I have the with game either due to crappy programming, or limitations of my hardware.

Then, once I am in the game I play against people who are a million times better than me at this kind of game and I get tired of having my ass kicked over and over again. I have been playing UT for years now and I suspect that I have long since reached the height of my playing ability. I really like the community here, though, and as a result I still play other games with these guys a lot. I don't even think I'd go back to playing UT2004 as I had the same problems with having my ass handed to me over and over again in that game too. Maybe even more so.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Of course! Why would the people who dislike it actually stay away from the community that plays the game they hate? :p
You and many others were decidedly anti-UT2004 during its time and the complaints were plenty. The very idea of a "community" is that people stick around regardless of the problems.* D:

The only difference with UT3 is that so few people like/play it that the complaints come through a lot stronger. :p

*That said, if the next UT is still bad I'm out. :/

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
The two times I joined it was pretty much CTF only on custom maps that I didn't have and have never played. It was actually faster to quit out and google for the map name, download it, and install, and start UT3 than it was to DL from the server. I would get to play about 1/2 the match then another custom map would be selected and I would have to repeat the process.

So I would say not so many custom maps or have a stock map only nights from time to time. Some VCTF would be nice too.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Then, once I am in the game I play against people who are a million times better than me at this kind of game and I get tired of having my ass kicked over and over again. I have been playing UT for years now and I suspect that I have long since reached the height of my playing ability.

Well said.

Well, I of course would join if it were 2k4 FragBu, since almost everyone seems to enjoy that alot better than UT3.

Also, a new computer that can run UT3 would be nice and I would for sure play UT3 once this new PC arrives. I'm sorta kinda trying to buy a new PC as some of you know. Once this happens, I will more than likely play. Even though I suck at times or just like to play for fun, atleast it's someone :)

Bort

nou
May 7, 2003
Mexico
www.mexfrag.net
I don't really enjoy CTF in UT3.

TDM/WAR sure.

ya

I know you guys love CTF and in UT99/UT2004 i also loved CTF (alongside TDM and 1v1) but i just don't get the same feeling in UT3. Every time i join is 1 FFA map and 21776327812 CTF maps (and some ****ty maps like that one in the space where you respawn and fell and...). I like WAR because i used to play that in pubs when the TDM community died and it was fun rape people with veikals.

So, more variety and less CTF.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Then, once I am in the game I play against people who are a million times better than me at this kind of game and I get tired of having my ass kicked over and over again. I have been playing UT for years now and I suspect that I have long since reached the height of my playing ability. I really like the community here, though, and as a result I still play other games with these guys a lot. I don't even think I'd go back to playing UT2004 as I had the same problems with having my ass handed to me over and over again in that game too. Maybe even more so.

Same here. I can't hit anyone :(

But I still try :D

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Maybe you guys should go grab some talented people from the coding subforum, and have them whip up a mutator for UT2004 that emulates the gameplay of UT3?

I think that might just work out really well actually, most people enjoy the gameplay mechanics of UT3, what they dont like are the technical aspects of it, all the hassles, all the broken and missing things.
On the flipside, UT2004 works just fine, however, alot of players never really liked elements of its gameplay mechanics, and after all thease years, its getting stale, been there done that.. so you merge, you get the best of both worlds, i think it has alot of potential.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The problem is without eliminating the dodge jump, and re-mapping the entire game, you're not going to be able to effectively emulate UT3 game play. UT2004 really needs a small set of it's own fixes to make it more tolerable. Wouldn't take too much either.

I was trying to write a mutator, but forgot all the changes, and since deleted it (along with my installation of 2k4).

The important ones were the hit-scan tweaks.
  • Slightly less shock beam damage and knock back. (half on both instead of one or the other)
  • No lockdown on lightning.
  • Maybe increase shock core damage a bit to compensate for the weaker beam.
  • No child bolts.
I think those were the only changes I wanted before, especially if newnet was on. Other than that, trying to match to many numbers with UT3 aren't going to coincide well with 2kx movement. If damages go up, ROF, projectile speed and Switch time should go down, then the movement would be too effective. If rox were any slower in 2kx, you'd never hit with them, but at that speed, and 100 dmg, they'd be silly.

Oh, and to answer the question, weekends have just always been bad for me. For example, this week, I work Friday night, and despite having Saturday off (oddly) I'll be watching UFC 88: Breakthrough, probably at a local bar.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
The problem is without eliminating the dodge jump, and re-mapping the entire game, you're not going to be able to effectively emulate UT3 game play.

You woulden't need a carbon copy, just to tweak the gameplay to have the same sort of balance and play, tweak damage values, make the shieldgun work like the impact hammer, the AR work like the enforcer (new models for them would be a bonus, but not required), add a hoverboard and orb, tweak player movement a bit, and you would get the same basic gameplay, but on a platform that just plain works, and has a wealth of maps for it.

I'm not saying it would be a 5 minute code job, but this community hopefully still has the talent to do that much, or we're really up the creek!

Or you could just play UT3...

Nope, not interested, and apparently, neither is the rest of the gaming world, hence this thread..