1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

what the heck is a General protection fault!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Madd_Cracker, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Madd_Cracker

Madd_Cracker scrawny pale dude

I have been using ued3 for a while now and for some unknown reason the error message below has been coming up recently. I tried reinstalling ut2k4 but didn't help. I've been using ued since ut1 and have never seen this error before could someone help me out?

:mad: the evil message....

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2398 MHz with 511MB RAM
    Video: ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES (Omega 2.5.97a) (6497)

General protection fault!

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc

2. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

What in the world is up with all of these undocked Static Mesh browsers lately? :confused: Delete UnrealEd.ini from the system folder.

3. Madd_Cracker

Thanks alot, like i said i've never encountered that particular bug before. Any Idea what could have caused it?

4. Madd_Cracker

ugh another problem that probably has alot to do with the above. the map i was working on at the time i started getting this bug no longer loads. Which being as its on of the first maps i've ever wanted finish i am really annoyed. It still has the same file size and all the resources I've used are still intact. When i try to load it however i get a blank map instead, or if another map is open it just reopens the current map. If anyone knows of a way to get my map back in working order i would worship the ground he/she walks on...

5. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

You should have a series of autosaves (Auto##.ut2 I believe). Other than loading each one I dont know how to tell which is the most recent (check properties maybe?).

6. Madd_Cracker

most of the autosaves were from other maps while some behaved like the map in question which is to say that the do not load... my unhappiness continues

7. Madd_Cracker

8. oosyxxx

oosyxxx teh3vilspa7ula

did you try the specific protection patch yet?

9. ReD_Fist

ReD_Fist New Member

goto the ini file, the editor one.

setup editor for 2 windows only top bottom.

in the ini undock ALL and the and make ALL inactive accept the top 2 and staticmesh browser, youl see a 1 for active 0 for not.

Reload editor, goto vieport setup, make floating pick the layout of 1 top and bottom.
    make so they don't float again.

restart the editor,
    and disable auto save, well i never have autosave on because i dont want crap running in the background.
    try that.

Also it will help a lot of things for the editor to not crash, there is NO NEED to have all that crap docked, accept wich I said, or editor will crash.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  10. Shadereapper

Shadereapper New Member

i also got a error msg close to exactly the same as him...happend after i cliked th toggle dock staus button an i got this msg...

No Label

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3204 MHz with 2047MB RAM
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series (555)

General protection fault!

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc

11. Shadereapper

Shadereapper New Member

o.o cant find UnrealEd.ini jus UnrealEd.int
    an i tryd to delete it the launch my editor an got the error msg again T~T