What kind of Connection do you need for Dedicated Server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
F

FNG_2U

I want to run a small server maybe 6 or so people i have a 500 kbps cable (256 upstream) and was wondering if this would be sufficient for a server. plz need help.
Also i use a mac and everytime that i try to set up a dedicated server it crashes?!?

EL_Kabong

May 18, 2000
your server should be able to handle the 6 players as you stated, your MaxClientRate should be set to about 5000, you can check your MaxClientRate for the number of players here:

http://thinkhole.org/ut/maxclientrate.php

the page says 5500, but I think 5000 should be good if you want to view a few pages without lagging the server

D

Dire Wolf

Well, if you press F6 during a game you can see how much information you are sending and receiving from a server.

During a game of INF with 16 players on a SOB (or was it SK) server at no point did I exceed 4,000 bytes IN and 5,000 bytes out and I'm on a cable modem.

I'd think 5K should be more than sufficient for most servers. Any more and you run the risk of hurting your clients' performance.

Only LAN servers really need to have the setting higher (plus they can easily handle the bandwidth).

Dire Wolf

T

-=TALON=-

500k will do just fine with a little tweaking...

adjust the maxclient value in the infiltration.ini, the default value is 20000. I changed my dsl server to 10000 and I can handle 6 players pretty nice and I don't really have a high end server.