1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

what keeps a skeptic a non-believer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by L3d, May 4, 2004.

1. GenoOfTheCrayon

GenoOfTheCrayon l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50

DAS RACIST!

2. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

no, this is a racist:
    [​IMG]

3. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

Now I'm not racist, but I think all white people should burn because of their skin color.

4. Cold Killer

Cold Killer I will Kill Bill

*watches as small fractional parts of FTU burst into flames*

5. ']['rågïç

']['rågïç I gas nade in ur general direction.

No, that is a corpse.

6. Philophobos

Philophobos New Member

Garrrrgh!

I was being sarcastic. I was trying, by making an obviously absurd and lame insult, to point out the absurdity of these little flame wars. Obviously I failed at conveying that, so I apologize for the miscommunication.

Also, you are a ninny.* ;)

*More sarcasm.

7. ']['rågïç

']['rågïç I gas nade in ur general direction.

You're a canalope. ;)

8. Gnam

Gnam Member

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

9. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

The skeptic was kept a non-believer FTB.... somehow.

10. jfinlayson

jfinlayson New Member

Williamson, not Mandela

Actually, that's Marianne Williamson, from her 1992 book "Return to Love" (hardcover p. 165, paperback pp. 190-191). She mentions the common misattribution on her home page:

http://www.marianne.com/index.php

The quote is widely misattributed to Nelson Mandela's 1994 inaugural address. A quick search through that very speech (link above) confirms that the quotation isn't there. Nor is it to be found in any of his other published speeches archived on the ANC web site.

11. novak

novak New Member

12. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

I missed that thread... maybe it was in my best interest.

13. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

I'm shocked and amazed that anybody missed approx's post as a joke... THAT keeps me an unbeliever. What kind of idiot creates something in his own supposed image that turns out to be so dumb (and fat, everybody knows all dumb people are also fat*)

*and smell bad

14. Cap'n Beeb

Cap'n Beeb Banned

What the everloving fuck is going on in here?

15. Horror of the Heights

Horror of the Heights Random jackass from the year 2000!

^
    Well, obviously, it's about a guy that doesn't know what keeps a skeptic a non-believer, the laziness around the world, and that little machine that keeps on running.

I think I get it.

edit: I don't get it. Some of it. But I'll answer his question (the title) the best I can -

skeptics are people that rely on die-hard evidence.

There... that's all - why did it take so long for someone to write that up?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  16. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

The problem is that the guys probably forgot that there are more then one definition to skepticism. without beeing more precise, the depate is useless. Starting a debate on words without defining them or their reach is pretty much useless. Some forums tend to forget that lately.

For instence, if you take the religious definition of skepticism, which is doubt of basic religous principles (by definition), nothings is said the a skeptic is a non-believer. You doupt something but believe in it. On the other hand a skeptic could be a non-beliver. Now it seems that the guys observed that skeptics are non-beliver. That's not because it's the case, it's because he doesn't admit the same definitions of the words as I do. If you are a non believer, it doesn't mean you are a skeptic and vis-versa. Defining one with the other isn't correct.

A good exemple is me with religion (but don't start a debate here... i,m only giving my position here as an exemple to this). I'm a non-beliver, but i'm not skeptic.... I have no _doubts_ concerning the basic religious princliples. Some of them I totally accept, others I'm sure without a doupt they are not founded and are not valid. Never have I expressed skepticism toward religion... if you use the religious definition of skepticism.

If you check out other definitions of the word, since I express no doubt nor incredulity towards the subject, it's not skepticism. By broadening your voccabulary, I'm sure you'll find a better word to describe my position.

17. Profe

Profe Posts: 918,731

I guess I'm sort of a big skeptic. I'm always thinking of there being even the slightest % what I believe is wrong. I guess I'm just trying to keep an open mind, that doesn't mean I'm easy to convince either. It probably started when I got rid of the faith bull**** ;).

18. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

19. Profe

Profe Posts: 918,731

I have no idea...