What is the proccess for getting a walking in-game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
I have recently been wanting to make more UT3 Custom content and have decided to make a walking vehicle that has four legs. But how would i go about do this? What is the proper process? And what type of thing need to be done to get the model and animations in-game?

Thanks

Flam1ngDem0n

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
Code. Lots of code. You basically need a leg control setup to drive the animation properly, much like the walking Necris vehicles do.

Hmm...Interesting......very interesting *strokes chin while thinking*. I can do the animation for the model, but the coding could be a problem. I use 3ds Max a lot so i can do most (if not all) of the animations. I wish there was some sort of tutorial on how to do this type of coding. Anyone know where i can find one?

Thanks for the help

Flam1ng Dem0n

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
I doubt there is one since this is a very specific case.

You sound like a great coder......could you possibly help me out with my walking tank? If so then that would be great! But if you are unable to do so, then could you please point me to someone who can help me out?

Let me know if you (or someone else) can help me out

Thanks

Flam1ng Dem0n

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It shouldn't be as hard when you have Necris vehicles you can extend. but all the components those vehicles use will have to be matched somehow.

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
It shouldn't be as hard when you have Necris vehicles you can extend. but all the components those vehicles use will have to be matched somehow.

Umm.......i am a little bit lost on what you are trying to say. Can you please maybe...elaborate on what you are trying to describe? Thanks

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Umm.......i am a little bit lost on what you are trying to say. Can you please maybe...elaborate on what you are trying to describe? Thanks
I think he means check out the Darkwalker / Scavenger and look at the code those vehicles use and build upon it. It may suit your needs, it may not.

What kind of vehicle are you making, though? Something with flexible limbs like the Necris vehicles, or something with more rigid appendages like a mech from Mechwarrior? I don't know if a Mechwarrior-style vehicle would be served well by the Necris vehicle code, since those legs flop around all over the place and grip onto geometry in all sorts of crazy ways.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, you can create a new vehicle by creating a new class in UnrealScript that extends the Darkwalker or Scavenger, then modify their code to suit your needs. The thing is, from what I'd imagine, those should be pretty complex and probably need some special type of meshes or something. But I'm not very familiar with UE3 anyway.

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
I think he means check out the Darkwalker / Scavenger and look at the code those vehicles use and build upon it. It may suit your needs, it may not.

What kind of vehicle are you making, though? Something with flexible limbs like the Necris vehicles, or something with more rigid appendages like a mech from Mechwarrior? I don't know if a Mechwarrior-style vehicle would be served well by the Necris vehicle code, since those legs flop around all over the place and grip onto geometry in all sorts of crazy ways.

I am working on a model that is from the Halo series. I have attached a picture of what it looks like. Yes, I know that some of you may thing its a stupid or lame idea (that is if you do), but i think that getting the Halo 3 Scarab would be easier to get into UT3 then getting it into Halo Custom Edition. At least that's what i personally think. Anyways, that is what i am trying to get into UT3 and make it (possibly) drivable by the player or any bot. So....what is the best approach to getting this vehicle set up? Let me know how i should go about doing so.

Thanks

Flam1ng Dem0n

Attachments

• UT3 Scarab.png
    UT3 Scarab.png
    470.4 KB · Views: 12

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
Yea, you can create a new vehicle by creating a new class in UnrealScript that extends the Darkwalker or Scavenger, then modify their code to suit your needs. The thing is, from what I'd imagine, those should be pretty complex and probably need some special type of meshes or something. But I'm not very familiar with UE3 anyway.

I also forgot to ask if and when creating the animations....Should i use the animation slider bar at the bottom of 3ds max? And if that is not the right way then how would i animate the Scarab then?

Thanks

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, in this case it's not organic, but a mech. To put it simply, without a whole lot of coding, you're screwed :p There is nothing like this in UT3, thus you would have to create the whole thing from scratch.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You could still lift the Necris walker code to a reasonable extent. The idea behind it is that partway through the leg animation (i.e, when the foot is about to be placed down), the code locates and appropriate position to place the foot, and manipulates / tweaks the animation to follow suit. In the Necris vehicles this is considerably more simple since they're tentacly in nature and don't have any real rigid constraints like a knee joint to take into account.

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
You could still lift the Necris walker code to a reasonable extent. The idea behind it is that partway through the leg animation (i.e, when the foot is about to be placed down), the code locates and appropriate position to place the foot, and manipulates / tweaks the animation to follow suit. In the Necris vehicles this is considerably more simple since they're tentacly in nature and don't have any real rigid constraints like a knee joint to take into account.

ambershee, you seem to be a great coder....I was wondering if you would be willing to help me get this model in-game. If so then what is you Xfire Username and if you don't have that then how should i get in contact with you directly? Let me know if you would be willing to help.

Thanks everyone for the support you all have given me so far.

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
Sorry, I'm far, far too busy to be messing around with vehicle leg animation code.

Oh...Ok. I can understand that. Would you possibly be able to direct me to another user (or someone you know of) that would be able to help me out and give me a hand on getting the Scarab model into UT3? Let me know if you know of anyone. Thanks

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
That's the thing................

Your best bet is taking it to the official forums / UDK forums. They are quite active.

That's thing....I have done that and i have gotten only one response and it was not helpful at all really. Plus the Epic modding forums seem to be slowing download in popularity and traffic recently. So that does not help me ether. I am hoping someone can help me that is from these forums. Is anyone willing to help me out with my halo 3 scarab model?

Let me know

Thanks

Lord of the Dead

Nov 21, 2009
Do you know of any Coding tutorials?

I'd say your best bet would be to learn coding. Might take a while but I'd say it's worth it.

Ok...But do you know of any good coding tutorials that relate to what i am trying to do? And if so then can you possibly post links to them? If you there are none then can you think of, could you possibly post links to ones that will be a good starting point for me?

Thanks everyone for the help so far!