1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What is the BEST ***free*** mpeg/mp2/mp3/mp4/ogg/wav encoder/decoder?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by neilthecellist, Oct 10, 2004.

1. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Lurking where you least suspect...

Uhhhh.... I don't suggest installing Linux on your machine unless you use a VM (virtual machine). BTW... OGG is prolly gonna die within the next few years. It's not supported in the world of consumer electronics, which is a far more powerful market for determining standards over the personal computer world. The name OGG alone may be enough to doom it (what where they thinking when they choose this extension?).

2. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Dude, in my opinion, i think OGG is the BEST codec out there. I mean, encode something at 128 kbps in OGG form, and then encode the same thing at 224 kbps in MP3, and the OGG file still wins...

3. CBA

CBA Proud ::VeC:: Member

I use VirtualDUB, it's great :)

4. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Ok, someone help me here...

i have a NEW QUESTION again....

What bitrate of an OGG file is equivilant to an MP3? For example, if I took a UT song, like Level8.ogg (By default, it's around 172 kbps a second) and convert it to mp3 172 kbps a second, or even 192 kbps a second, it sounds like sh¡t. (HA! I CAN CUSS) What bitrate would be equivilant to an OGG file? 224 kbps? 256 kbps? 320 kbps?

5. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

If you have a MP3 with bitrate x, then a Ogg Vorbis file of equivalent quality would be about 0.5x-0.6x. So, if you have a 256kbps MP3 and you want roughly the same quality, go for 128-160kbps Vorbis.

If you're converting a 172kbps Ogg to MP3 and want about the same quality, go for about 320kbps.

6. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Dude, are you serious? That's how good the OGG codec is??

Ok, I got a new question again.

I've converted ALL my mp3s to ogg form. But if I ever want to play them on a premium stereo system, should I convert them back to mp3 and make an "MP3 CD" using Nero 6, or should I make an "AUDIO CD" in WAV form? Which would have better sound quality?

(The reason i NEVER play audio files on my computer {other than ogg} is because I hate the sound quality given by computers. Even with an Audigy 2 Z platinum or whatever the sound quality is STILL awful. Computers have very bad audio playback qualities. If you guys subscribed to the "STEROPHILE" magazine, you would know what i'm talking about.)

7. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

Yeah, it's that good. I did the tests myself, at low bitrates (32kbps) and high bitrates (like 160kbps; any higher and I can't really tell).
    First of all, you will lose a bunch of quality by converting and converting back. I'd personally keep your MP3s as they are, and not convert them (unless you've already deleted the MP3s). Also, if you were to burn them to a CD, burning the original MP3s to a CD would give you the same quality as burning to an audio CD. Of course, this depends on the decoders used by the player (in the case of the MP3 CD) or the burner (in the case of an audio CD). If you have good decoders though, you will get rougly the same quality for both.

Of course, you must be able to play MP3 CDs in your stereo system. If so, go for an MP3 CD. (You'd be able to store more on the CD anyway :))

8. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

oh ok. Thanks

9. haarg

haarg PC blowticious

A few answers:
    Zaccix's name is in italics because he is an administrator on the forums.

Playing RealMedia files without Real: You first have to install the official Real Player, but afterward you can use Media Player Classic to play the files. You can do the same with quicktime files.

CD Ripping speed: It rips at 4x to get the best quality. Even with a 52x cd reader, if it goes faster than that it can lose quality.

This thread is kind of disorganized, so what questions do you still have?

10. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Does anyone know how to use Lame.exe in command line form?

11. haarg

haarg PC blowticious

Lame takes wav files as input, and outputs mp3 files.
    Choose either :
    lame --alt-preset standard infile.wav outfile.mp3
    or
    lame --alt-preset extreme infile.wav outfile.mp3

Extreme will give you better quality, but results in larger files.

12. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

is that exactly what i type in the command line?

13. Dimz

Dimz New Member

Cool Edit 2000 or Cool Edit Pro is THE PREMIERE APPLICATION for encoding mp3 , though itll run about 130 $ USD to get up and running . they dont sell it anymore though , adobe bought the rights to the software and remade it , its now called Adobe Audition http://www.adobe.com

for creating sounds or makin music i recommend FLstudio XXL . thats around 280 $ USD , and can be found at their site http://www.FLstudio.com

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  14. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

dimz, you did NOT answer my question....and i said FREE in the subject header, read damñit.

15. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????

16. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Ok. So in conclusion, I believe:

dBpowerAMP is the best for music conversions.
    The only minus in dBpowerAMP is that it has old LAME codecs and old OGG codecs.

The best program for burning music is:

Nero 6.6.0.

Am i right?

17. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

anyone? please?