What if players feared to get injured in Inf?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
I don't know if you have considered it, but someone getting hit should receive some random effects from it... I mean, if players were to fear the effects of a single bullet, no matter what gun or how crappy the one firing is, then players would seek cover as soon as someone shoot at them (making suppression a common tool to get close for a kill)...

What i have in mind is : The player should never know how bad the effect gona be. He must not think "i can take x hits from that weapon" or "i still can fire full auto despite getting hit".

What if the player had to suffer worst than just dying?

Here what could happen , in any order or combination :

-The gun reaim itself on impact (you never know if you'll miss or make a nade bounce back at you)

-You are temporarily blinded (by pain)

-You drop your gun (what if it was a primed nade?)

-You let loose a few shots (spasm)

-You don't notice (you don't feel or see it util you look at your healthbar ;) )

-You jump prone (you fell down, either because of the pain or because you felt the uncontrolable urge to get down ;) )

-Your health start to drop slowly (you bleed, probably internal bleeding so you eventually loose conciousness (dead))

I could add a few more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me, as players, if thoses effects would make you more careful and fear getting hurt in game?

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
It would be even better if the player would have to guess how much health he has left, not have the magic health bar telling him he can still take 2-3 hits... Heavy breathing, limping, random pain sound when moving, vision slowly fading could tell the player is in good or bad health, or if he's dying and only has a short time of play left... Imagine the tension of the player who try fanatically to survive ;).

For those who are playing Random spawn, we know that NOT KNOWING make us much more cautious than we know too much...

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
-You drop your gun (what if it was a primed nade?)

This already happens.

Now what might be cool is to wire everyone up with electrodes and you recieve a small shock in the zone of the body you where hit :D

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
/me smile at Shrap

Now, imagine this :

You are going down an alley with a teammate. You cautiously move with your m8 and suddently a tango rise from being a trashcan and spraw a few bullets (the guy pushes his luck and do not go back to cover). You get hit while you where trying to line up a shot, while your teammate try to dash sideway behind a wall... Your screen turn red while you hammer your mouse button... When things clear up, you are still alive, the enemy is dead, but so his your teammate, you just killed him because you continued to fire madly despite seeing nothing...

Your breath is now heavy, you have trouble hearing and you seem to move around painfully... Another tango show up, but you manage to fire first, but *OUCH!*, your screen turn red and you miss your shot, the other guy just return fire and finish you off...

I'm sure the next turn you would be very paranoid, and your m8 would be wary of having you covering his back ;).

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Droping your gun doesn't sound too great (is this in 2.87!?)but if it is in 2.87, I'll have too wait too see how it plays. I think if you where shot, you should only be able too jog or walk.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
As far as i know, nothing from this thread is in 2.87... I'm just suggesting...

As for dropping the gun and the rest, it's just a random effect of getting shot (all thoses can happen in RL, just not all the time). You surely can imagine getting shot, and the pain making you loose grip of your gun...

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
hey, just got this idea

when u get shot, u can still sprint, jog and walk. However, sprint is at the speed of a jog and it costs 2x as much stamina as a normal sprint when ur healthy.
Same For jog but then with walk settings.
And the walk has the speed of crouch movement...

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Well, i'm against a linear effect of wounds, it's just too simplistic and make player think like statistic reviewer : i shot you once, you lost half your speed and should have half your aiming capability and so on. It should be random so neither you or the enemy can be sure of anything...

I want player to OVERTLY CAUTIOUS AND PARANOID in a match. Just like they would be in RL if death was creeping behind them...

Bandit224

Jan 16, 2002
Hick Central
Visit site
Originally posted by R-Force
I want player to OVERTLY CAUTIOUS AND PARANOID in a match. Just like they would be in RL if death was creeping behind them...

wow, it could be a funny mutator for single-player only. But, no server or actual game code should use it. BTW, if you wanna make the players overtly cautious and paranoid, just give a mail-order for electric shockers and have the game give an electric shock to anyone that gets shot, or buy everyone weed. As for our virtual lives, paranoia is hard to simulate when the real player is not paranoid. It'll just annoy people...if that makes any sense.

Doyve the Royve

Quite simply the best Royve around!
You don't simulate the paranoia, you make the player paranoid because they fear death. It should be an option to black out the screen completely except the hud or play a Britney Spears song if you die, so the player thinks, "Uh oh, three tangos over there, better take cover," instead of, "Hey! Three more tangos, 5uck 0n my 133t 5h0tgun wh0re skillz!"

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
"wow, it could be a funny mutator for single-player only. But, no server or actual game code should use it. BTW, if you wanna make the players overtly cautious and paranoid, just give a mail-order for electric shockers and have the game give an electric shock to anyone that gets shot, or buy everyone weed. As for our virtual lives, paranoia is hard to simulate when the real player is not paranoid. It'll just annoy people...if that makes any sense."

It does not matter what they feel as long as they have a great distaste of getting hit (death just mean a trip to the "chit chat screen", most players enjoy that). Most players dislike getting stunned or helpless in games, especially when they must live with this for a while (not being able to quickload back to health), so it hurt more where it count.

You don't need to do physical harm to a player to make him play cautiously... If a player get very short round playing like a speed demon online, you can be sure he would play more cautious the next time, just to get the chance to pop a few more shots...

Last edited:

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I'm with you guys on this one. Random effects from damage would certainly impress upon people a need for caution. Dropping a weapon is perfectly viable, as would any of the other options listed above.

Man, I can't wait till we have wounding effects in INF.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
That's only because I'm on the other team NTKB :p

I find that I go for cover when I take a wound, and firing is only done for effect (which is usually useless). I don't think that reaction would change if I had blurred vision or a weapon drop.

One thing I remember hearing is that the scoreboard for 2.87 will be ordered based on survivability entirely. Perhaps that may drive some sort of self preservation instinct.

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
You drop your gun (what if it was a primed nade?)

--> This already happens.

Zundfolge meant you already drop your primed nade if you got hit. happy TKing :)

we need a nice health system with more bodyzones [shooting one eye of the enemy so his half screen gets grey :) okok not very usefull]with effects loke lowering speed and aiming, and the ammo should not always do the same amount of damage/effects. maybe +/- 15% so you need 2 or 3 shoots from your m16. when you got hit, scopes out of aim and a bigger shake then now. and more effects for the nades not only dead or alive.

and one thing that also shouldnt be in game is the last player timer. at least it should be invisible. wheres your fear if you have a team of three and then theres a message that theres only one left. count your foes and dont let it do the server. And no auto messages about death team mates. ans so on ...

the system shouldn't be too much random, but there shouldn't be so many information about things you won't know in RL.