What exactly is XMP?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Roken

I
Dec 11, 2004
Secksville
Im yet to buy UT2004 :( , but I have read alot about UT:XMP. So far, nothing I've read has said or given the slightest hint to what XMP really is.

So... What exactly is XMP?

PotShotScott

Oct 2, 2003
Eugene, OR
Visit site
Originally XMP was a multiplayer expansion for Unreal 2. It was awesome. Very good gameplay, very immersive, class based multiplayer.... however, Atari did not like it or support it. It is a hard game to learn. You need to play for a while to understand what is happening. XMP had its master servers pulled on and off and no one really ran an amazing low ping server. At the time it basically died, you could only find about 20 people playing it and you had to use Qtracker to find those folks. The engine was a little laggy too. This version for UT is going to be excellent. I can see that the XMP community will probably be revived. There are also some FAQs in the manual section of the FMI website that tell you all about gameplay. GLHF.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Take a look in the manual section of this website to give you an idea of what it is :)

http://free-monkey.com/main/manual/

But basically it takes the best of Capture the Flag as your team needs to capture four artifacts to win, but also takes elements of other gametypes as you need to hack deployment points so your team can spawn further down the level and also generators for energy which your team can use to power vehicles, turrets, and player special abilitites such as mini-turrets, land mines, health/ammo packs, etc.
You also play as 1 of 3 classes. The quick and nimble ranger, the all-around tech, or the tank-like gunner. Each has their own arsenal of weaponry and a totally different playing style. :)

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
XMP is a class-based Team game where 2 teams fight to control "artifacts". Each team starts with 2 that are kept at their base, the goal is control all 4 of them. (Think CTF with 4 flags). Whats interesting about XMP (and fun) is the classes are all balanced to compliment each other in battle. Scattered across each map there are Deploy Points and Energy Sources. Deploy points obviously are a respawn point for when you die. Deploys outside the base are generally neutral and the teams fight to control them. The Energy Sources provide the team with energy. The more energy you have, the more cool things you can use, such as stationary deployable turrets, land mines, lazer trip wires, massive mounted turrets, vehicles, etc.

Hope that helps.