What exactly do the pixel shaders do?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[xF]PR3D470R

My Vengeance Is Everlasting
Jan 20, 2004
KC
Pixel Shaders create ambiance with materials and surfaces that mimic reality. An infinite number of material effects replace the artificial, computerized look with high-impact organic surfaces. Characters now have facial hair and blemishes, golf balls have dimples, a red chair gains a subtle leather look, and wood exhibits texture and grain. By altering the lighting and surface effects, artists are able to manipulate colors, textures, or shapes and to generate complex, realistic scenes. A Pixel Shader is a graphics function that calculates effects on a per-pixel basis.
Source

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
to sum up what XF Vengeaance said in lame mans terms... it adds pretty to the game.

now for more technical: Higher Requirements, yes, but more options for the mapper and other modders, in short, it is a much nicer visual appeal, and it tends to render faster most of the time ( on cards with pixel shader support).

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
glad it works anyway. ut2004 is pretty good with compatibibity, so at least it lets you run it with the "pretty" switched off.

<rant> unlike doom etc, for which you have to have hilariously expensive toys to run it, unless you hack it. ut2004 is very inclusive because you can have pretty video OR 320x240 software rendered if you really have to.
</rant>

Last edited:

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
...andrelax said:
<rant> unlike doom etc, for which you have to have hilariously expensive toys to run it, unless you hack it.
</rant>
Actually its the other way round. Doom3 runs on hardware lacking Pixel Shaders (tried it on a GF2 / R7500) - it just wont be very enjoyable. But there are games doing real-time lighting and other stuff based on the Unreal Engine that wont even start when you're hardware doesnt have Pixel Shaders.. DXIW / SW Republic Commando anyone?

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
fair enough. yes, games like swat4 too are very ropey on old cards.
i was being psecific to ut2004 though really, and my particular gripe about doom3 at the moment (from last night) was that it offers no help with surround sound unless you have an audigy2 or better, confining you to stereo unless you add a little directsound hack from 'the internet', then it's fine. i know it's not pixel shaders, but my point was a game that allows you to play over a broad range of hardware is a better, less elitist game.

Síochán

Alpha
Feb 16, 2005
The only map in UTXMP that won't work properly with a card that has no pixel shaders is Murkywoods.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
If your card does not have pixel shaders, or if you turn off pixel shader support (you can do this with Geforce cards, not sure about Radeons), you can #1 run the game faster and #2 run the game without shader effects. #2 allows you to potentially see what you should not be seeing.

I suppose a hardcore gamer would always run with as much visual crap -disabled- as possible, to gain the most advantage over other players. For example, in U2XMP (not sure about UTXMP), if you used lowest quality mode, the fire/flames effects are far less obstructive to the players view.

Anyway, good to know UT allows you to run without shader support. I will be disabling that on my Geforce card when patch 1b releases.

Last edited:

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
Bleeder said:
For example, in U2XMP (not sure about UTXMP), if you used lowest quality mode, the fire/flames effects are far less obstructive to the players view.
I'd highly disagree with that. I've been running on lowest settings forever since its all my pc can take, and I get the full flaming effect. If you increase your resolution, however, the flames become less obstructive.

Wr4ith

Nub
May 15, 2005
FL
www.clanrfx.com
Yea, it does work. I'm surprised though-everything still looks pretty, to my standards anyway. UT2k4 also looks nice, nothing breath-taking, but hell, it's fine for me. :D

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
IndianPsycho said:
It will work, but some effects/models will not display correctly.

yes i agree... very much... if you want to see a good reason why you should use it, on my map i have a simple setup, but when i test it without pixel shaders, i get serious bugs with it... please refere to the image below:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img145.echo.cx/img145/7866/mapbug2hq.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
dutch_gecko said:
I'd highly disagree with that. I've been running on lowest settings forever since its all my pc can take, and I get the full flaming effect. If you increase your resolution, however, the flames become less obstructive.
Ah, sorry... need to clarify...

Do a "PREFERENCES" in the Console prompt to change more stuff there. There is additional stuff you can turn off like projectors, even lower quality terrain, etc, etc. After this, go directly into the .INI files and turn even more stuff off. Heck, I gained at least 10 more avg fps by doing those additional tweaks.

I know I'm not the only one who does this, because BeyondUnreal has a forum thread for UT2k4 with lots and lots of posts about .INI file tweaks.

Last edited: