1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

what bulletstorm shouldn't have.

Discussion in 'Games' started by toniglandyl, May 21, 2010.

1. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

ok, we all believe that Bulletstorm will rock and all, but I believe that Epic still can make mistakes, and well, here we should say what we think should NOT make it into bulletstorm. constructive criticism please ! Epic employees might be reading this, and the more constructive the input the more we might be listened to.

1) gamespy. Why use that system that was considered a plague even years ago ? having to install plenty of different programs doesn't make me want to install th game, especially when such programs have a questionable reputation. I already have steam, and it works good enough, why would I feel the need to install even more things to play online ?

2) intruisive DRM. what I really loved with the UTs is that there was no CD requirement, just a CD-key at the installation, and checking if the CD-key was a valid one when connecting to the master server when entering the server browser. It's a sign of trust and I really appreciated that. Nowadays, games seem to have more and more "tools" to "prevent" a game from being pirated. does it work ? no. if it should be pirated, why make the real customers pay for a handicap ? see GTA4 where customers who bought the game cracked it in order to play it correctly.

3)assisted options. let us change the video, audio, controls the way we want it. keep some settings in the .inis if you want, but please don't cripple the game for some tweak-lovers that a lot of UT fans are. (see how much there is to push UT (1999 version) to the max nowadays)

that's all I can think of for the moment, but be sure to add your own ideas !

2. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I'm pretty sure Epic will never put DRM in any of their future games.

3. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

Weird acceleration for the xbox controller!

UC2 controls soo well (so do the Gears of War games) but UT3 is just strange, no matter the setting. I figure it would control alright with acceleration turned way down and sensitivity turned way up, but even if you push it to the extremes the sensitivity is WAY too low to be able to play the game. So because you can't increase it further you have to enable acceleration to some degree just so you can turn a little faster, and then your controls get so uncontrollable that you have to rely on autoaim. It's playable alright, but it could be much better.
    Next to Far Cry Instincts / Predator it's one of the worst controlling first person shooters there is.
    I'm only talking about you move the crosshairs with the stick, not about button layouts or anything.

4. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

I wouldn't bet on them tossing Gamespy around. They certainly will stick to that.

5. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

What it shouldn't have:

An inferior multiplayer.

Why should we only enjoy a single-player game that is finished after a few hours (a few more hours if we complete the game twice or even three times) when we can enjoy it for years in multi-player.

6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I hope they go Steamworks, honestly. If you don't like Steam, sorry. Right now Steam IS the PC platform. Millions of gamers are logged on at any given time, the market on Steam is in the tens of millions, the community features are perfect, and making a lobby system based on that in Left 4 Dead available for more games would be most excellent.

Then the DRM is built in and relatively non-intrusive.

Then the multiplayer system is built around already expected "limitations" (if they can be called that).

Then being social about playing the game (inviting people, showing people you're playing, stats tracking, achievement tracking) is all built in.

Then release Shadow Complex on Steam, profit, and never work another day in your life.

7. Northrawn

Northrawn New Member

I fully agree.
    But I have my doubts since it is an EA-published product (I might be wrong) and they probably don't want to integrate something from a competitor.
    I know that other EA titles are on Steam, but they don't use Steamworks I think.

8. UBerserker

Are there EA games (developed or published by them) that utilize GameSpy?

9. Sir_Brizz

Bulletstorm is published by EA Partners. The same arm of EA that brought TOB to retail.

10. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

It shouldn't have terrible mouse input problems that plagued UT3 and a few other UE3 titles.

First off, they shouldn't assume people prefer making their mouse movements in an oval shape, I don't. Making the X and Y axis sensitivity numbers different is rather dumb even if the integers are only different by 50 points. There was so much tweaking I had to do to get the mouse to act like it should. That was totally unnecessary and was one of the major complaints out of a lot of players. Having a smooth (and no I don't mean mouse smoothing) and precise feel of the mouse is one of the most important things in a twitch shooter and this game looks to be in that genre. People will be flying all around it seems and I need to make sure that when I aim on any axis that the feel of the mouse will always be the same.

Bulletstorm also shouldn't have static messes that catch you every few seconds. I'm not greatest at UED but I know there's ways to "close off" a mess and prevent it from catching you. That was another thing I hated about ut3, everything was something you could get snagged on. Maps can look great, but please no sticky maps to ruin game flow.

11. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

Same problem on Console games, I hate them...

12. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

13. Sir_Brizz

I agree, so let's hope!

14. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I would venture most people find it easier to move the mouse horizontally and there's also more room to do so. Therefore, the Y-axis is either faster or slower than the X-axis because it's easier for most people. I can't remember which one it is, though. I'm gonna go with faster for now as it makes more sense given the usual lack of vertical space on the average mouse pad. But then slower would make sense if precise vertical control is more difficult. Blargh.

15. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

Totally agree! :rolleyes:

16. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

after seeing the gametrailers part :

slowmo for skill kills : I hope that's only for the consoles. if this is a fast paced shooter, with kills requiring SKILLS, why put some slow motion on the PC ?

17. UBerserker

I like that actually. Maybe configurable - I'd ask that.

18. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Configurable would be a good idea.

19. aCRaSSiCauDa

aCRaSSiCauDa ...

20. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

There was a problem with UC2 and many other FPS games using a controller, where the diagonal movements were slower than horizontal or vertical.
    REMEDY THIS!