1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What are the minimum down/up rates you need for good gaming

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by No Soup For You, Feb 8, 2002.

1. No Soup For You

No Soup For You I got your PM right HERE!

Yeah I know so and so is great on 56k but I'm talking about what you need to enjoy a good UT game.

The reason I'm asking is that our broadband provider recently changed hands and it appears that the upload is now either capped at 65 kbps or it has deteriorated to that from what it used to be. This all started in the last week or so when I found I had like 50% pl on every UT server I go to (only on what's going out). I reinstalled UT and checked a bunch of other stuff, then started doing speed checks at dslreports and found that our upload speed was consistently <65kbs. That appears to suck but doesn't by itself explain why my pings are like 800 in UT everywhere I go. Even 56k players do better than that. Maybe I actually have 128 kbps up but I have 50% pl that gives me an effective rate of 65? Does that make sense? As usual tech support was absolutely no help and told me that 1) they don't support home networks (not relevant but I mentioned I had one), 2) they only shoot for 96 kbps upload so mine wasn't that bad, and 3) they don't support online gaming anyway :mad:

I don't know what is going on but I was curious what other peoples down/up ratings are for their connections and what was adequate for UT.

2. CrazyCougar

CrazyCougar CATatonic

Do a traceroute to the servers...

Are they showing really high pings or is it just ingame that is really high?

Another thing you might have to adjust is your clientrate settings. If it's too high your likely flooding your uploads with too much data...

so if your clientrate(usually 10000 for cable) is higher than 6500 that might be the problem. Try setting it to 5500 and see if that helps...

3. No Soup For You

Hey DEWD!

Thanks CC,

I've tried that - tracert doesn't really show any obvious problems. Pings are generally higher than what I'm used to seeing but they are definitely not 800 which is what I'm getting in game. I have to lower the client rate to like 1000 to get rid of the outgoing packet loss and that makes the frame-rate horrific.

I'm convinced it is them (the ISP) or something in my local cable hardware (outside the house).

4. Rev.Whoopass

Rev.Whoopass Sperm Bot

if your coming from the @home system,it does not matter where you are all the new systems are having dns problems.Find you dns,and ping it. (ping xx.xxx.xx.xx -n 30) 30 packets,and see what ya get.I get 20% packet loss all the time(never did on the @home network)

From what I am told it will be at least a month before most of the dns routings are fixed.This info came from the vp of cox,not some n00b tech phone llama.

65k up should be fine to play,but if it's in and out like mine.....then that's the prollem.

5. No Soup For You

Rev. WHOOP!

Hey Rev.!,

Yes - I was switched over to adelphia from @home during the great SNAFU, but things were actually pretty good once the switch was made in late December. I had been playing on-line normally since then and things only started screwing up in the last week.

I've tried a clean UT install on two machines now, either connected straight to my cable modem or behind a cable/dsl router (which is how they are normally set up). I get the same result every time, no matter what servers I try to play on - 50% pl on the outgoing and a ping of around 800.

Oh well - they are supposed to check the lines outside today.

6. Pillsbury Flow Boy

Pillsbury Flow Boy The Stairway to Revvin'

netspeed@2400, max upload speed I've ever seen is 24Kbps... max download speed is somewhere around 42-44Kbps... and I'd be quite content if it wasn't for my horrible ping to 90% of the servers out there :)

lowest ping I've ever seen though was a 110 to HomeLan northcal... I played for a while the other day, everybody left the server, I hit F6 cause I kept showin' red icon, it settled down... and I showed a constant 110-130 through F6... so just find a server that's REALLY close to you, traceroute it, neotrace it, whathaveyou... If you're showing PL for 6 hops or less... then find another ISP ;)

7. AriTheDog

AriTheDog frog steering expert

man, you guys are lucky!

i have a friggin 15 kbs upload cap! :(

8. No Soup For You

Something got fixed somehow

Hmmm - the adelphia guys came out and checked our lines and told us nothing was wrong. I still had pings of 800 in UT. I went and downloaded Quake 3 arena demo just so I could try another online game and it seemed to work fine - I found a Quake demo server and joined and had a ping of about 130 (no signs of packet loss on outgoing data).

Then today at work I was lurking on an adelphia forum at dslreports and saw a bunch of regulars indicating that their pings were suddenly better today so I came home and tried out UT. Not only was my mysterious 50% pl gone but my pings to servers were back where they used to be, i.e., there were multiple DM servers with sub 80 pings (THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!). :D

Anyway, to answer my own question that I started the thread with, at least for UT, with netspeed at 10,000, the outgoing data rate was about 32 kbps which is less than my anemic 65 kbps so that wouldn't seem to have been the problem. Rev. Whoopass was right. Oh well, I'm sure it will be F'd up again soon, but for now anyway PHEAR THE SOUP DEWD!

9. CrazyCougar

CrazyCougar CATatonic

Good to see your back in action. Cable companies have a hard time admitting it's their fault no matter how obvious it is.

10. Clayeth

Clayeth Classic

Transfer rates aren't that important. In fact a lower transfer rate with all the extra things on your modem disabled will probably help your ping. Disabling stuff like software compression. And, if you remember the 3com gaming modem, It only connected at 38k or something like that.

11. LordKhaine

LordKhaine I sing the body electric...

Bandwidth *is* important now a days, a 56K wont hack it. If you dont have a fair bit of bandwidth you're netspeed will need to be lowered, and then you're dealign with an avg 30 fps online. I would make sure I had 128K u/l for newer games like Q3A and RTCW.

12. Lynxx

Lynxx New Member

no problem solver me, only a small graphic that may interest a few ppl that perhaps have never seen a simplified visual explaination.

13. No Soup For You

Yes Digital Pixie - the dslreports speed tests have been very helpful in showing my pathetic 65 kbs up - SUXORZ!

14. Blorgg

Blorgg Active Member

I'm on cable and for instagib 5vs5 you need a netspeed of 4200 at least. If I go lower I start to experience lag similar to packet loss. And I don't know why, but my upload is almost as high as my download(both near 4200)
    For normal weapons you need a higher netspeed ofcoz, but I don't play that very often so I wouldn't know what you need as a minimum there, I think about 5000.

15. lunchblaze

lunchblaze Codlike

SOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Azmo

Azmo ul+ra l33+

Blorgg is just about right. I'm on cable, and thanks to my lousy ISP I usually can't play on a netspeed above 2200. Anything higher gives me extremely high pings (netspeed 4000 ~ 10,000 ms :(). This means a lot of game data doesn't get send, which makes the game a lot tougher.

Above 4000 / 5000 netspeed you should have enough bandwidth for all the (important) game data, and you also end up with acceptable FPS (max FPS = 15 * netspeed / 1000).

Of course you still need a good ping....

17. Stosh

Stosh A legend in his own mind

I was wondering, is there a way to test ur upstream bandwidth? (besides setting up an ftp server) I know www.bandwidthplace.com gives a pretty good report of your downstream speed. but nothing there for upstream. That is not exactly true, there is an upstream test on that site. However, the accuracy is somewhat questionable.