Welsh

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Anyone else having a go at learning Welsh? I'm trying to get going, but I'm getting stuck on the very large difference between Northern and Southern Welsh. I.e. what a learner's supposed to do... The books I have throw parts of both in and never talk about it or if you should even be consistent with pronunciation (also different), which doesn't seem very comforting to me. I know using British slang with a sometimes-American, sometimes-British accent would make someone flamboyantly foreign, so I don't think I can just sally forth really into both...

Any native speakers who can clarify or other learners who found a method? :)

edit: This is not a place to tell me "lolwelshsucks" or other useless crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
If I cared about practicality I'd continue French, which I rather dislike at this point but have five years of study in anyway.

Doing Welsh for my own pleasure, the ultimate goal of most hobbies ;)

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
Visit Wales. Chat up a local (welsh) girl and get acquainted with the local tongue. It's much more fun to learn the language that way.

I haven't learned Welsh by that method, but as a language, but it's a general trick for learning a language.

Last edited:

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
the thing to do is not learn welsh, i spent a year living in wales and god damn is it the worst language ever.

the northerners hate the english, and hate the south welsh even more for not hating the english (and for having stupider accents), and the south welsh are too damn drunk and fighting to give a damn. feel free to chose your side...

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
The same could be said about any language I think :p French people are too busy eating cheese and hating Americans to want to talk to you, Germans/Russians/Irish/Scottish folk are too drunk, etc. I like the language, though, and I'm sure I'll find at least one person in Wales that isn't busy being drunk or hating English people to talk to ;)

CyberSirius

Mostly dead.
Jan 4, 2004
French is my first language,99% of the french music that is on the radio from where i am sucks,i learn english since 1999,now i'm talking to you ppl in english TY school :) .

My opinion on welsh is...

what the **** is Welsh? No real use.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
you should really go visit wales before embarking on learning their national language. theyre possibly a worse bunch than the french. i met one single nice welsh person the entire time i was in the country, and he was from south wales near the english border...

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
what puzzles me is how there can be so many different accents on a smalle isle like England. But it makes living there all the better I guess :)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
MediocreTangerine said:
Heh. "Easiest". If you decide to go for French, buckle yourself in. It's called l'enfant terrible of the Romance languages for a very good reason :p
Easiest for me as I have learnt it to a certain level already. Back when I was still doing it at school I could read and write frenh without too much of a problem.

Yeh its strange having so many different accents. We have some great accents though. Scouse, Cokney, and Westcountry :p

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
theres only two sure things in this life... death and welsh girls

French people are too busy eating their horses and surrendering to want to talk to you
fixed

Last edited: