Well... talk about losing respect for the forums

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
:confused:

Okay this isn't a thread about pot. This is a thread about why a thread about weed would possibly be closed. You can quote the forum rules at us but I didn't see anything that would qualify except "objectionable material".

And certainly this topic has been posted many times before.

To be clear: I don't smoke it, but Yet Again it's proven the forums have grown and changed into a more restrictive and controlling stance over the past year or two. If you're having legal issues and someone harrassing us for talking about pot, say as much. But if you're being gun shy before anyone has threatened a law suit (which will never happen even in the USA unless we start talking about how to grow the damn stuff). Or if you simply object to it yourself on principle, remember that this forum was taken away from PU because it is for US the readers to make those judgements.

Kill flame wars and trolls, fine. Ban people who don't listen, fine. But nothing was done that wasn't done before. If you find yourselfs in a certain situation where you're beholden to some corporate entity to adopt certain behaviours or stances that we haven't before DO SOMETHING to takes us away from them and return us to our previous freedoms.

I respect that you pay money for the hardware and you should get to make the decision, but this isn't in the user driven spirit of our move here in the first place. Maybe I should throw my email account back to beyondunreal and ask for my money to be returned? Pfah. I'm certainly not paying to have a stupid weed conversation to be stomped on.

pfah.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
This is not the proper place to talk about weed usage because it is illegal in the USA.
I think that says it all. People can get in serious trouble for talking about this stuff. Many and varied are the stories of comedians and other various celebs who go on morning radio shows and talk about the pot they smoked like back in the 70s or the time they defaced the Jesus statue at their local parochial school, only to find the law enforcement banging on their door because the statute of limitations hasn't expired.

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
I'm on mutes side on this.. is it really illegal to talk about pot? what happened to free speech and stuff?

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
yeah i'm all for free-speech and all but its still BuF forums and not legally binding according to the ground law of country x, or y forum

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
It's not illegal to talk about smoking weed in any country, whoever says it is is wrong plain and simple. You try and hold up an argument in a court of law about talking about drugs and the judge will think you're wasting their time.

It's not illegal. ANYWHERE.

Mute is right.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
You guys are totally missing the point. If someone talks about illegal conduct it's going to be used against them. It's not whether people are ALLOWED to talk about it, it's a question of liability. The mods felt it was better to close the issue than run the risk of having someone shoot off their mouth and get sent to jail. How horrible of them!

You guys really need to lay off this "free speech" bit. First of all, the Bill of Rights are a do/don't list between the government and the people, namely, you can't make laws limiting free speech. The f0s are not an agency of the government, and can conduct themselves as they see fit (see also: freedom of assembly, same amendment). Second, what about all the political correctness that's floating around? Saying you can't call someone a "n1gg3r" is censorship, when you get right down to it. It's not GOVERNMENT censorship, it's a by-product of social engineering. So people are not "allowed" to say all kinds of things as a normal function of society. Lay off the mods.

Last edited:

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
TossMonkey said:
It's not illegal to talk about smoking weed in any country, whoever says it is is wrong plain and simple. You try and hold up an argument in a court of law about talking about drugs and the judge will think you're wasting their time.

It's not illegal. ANYWHERE.

Mute is right.
:stupid:

Worf: this is a message board, not a testicular cancer group in a New York City burough. Thus, what we discuss can be true and there are some people out there who say things that probably aren't how their life really is (El Diablo, for example ;)). If I told you I wanted to kill my sister because she has made my life a living hell you could almost certainly take it with a grain of salt. Similarly, the whole scenario with AI's mom seems pretty flaky and hard to believe. There is SO MUCH SH*T said on this message board that believing anything is solely up to the person reading it. As many people have told me in this past, don't take BuF so seriously.

People can talk about killing people, doing drugs, warezing stuff all they want, but we don't know how much of it's true...

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
This isn't america it's buf. The admins can restrict free speach in any way they want.

END OF STORY

Shut up about it before there's big trouble.

and while we're at it... There are MANY people, in fact a very large portion , well actually almost everybody that posts on here but doesn't post in ot, that refuses to visit this forum because of what is discussed and how some of the posters act. These forums need some cleaning up so it's a place that everyone will want to visit again. This is a step in the right direction.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
It's pot. It's not talking about rape or murder, it's talking about a drug which has fewer side affects than beer.

I'm not one for smoking any kind of drugs but I really have seen worse threads at BuF than one about pot.

Comparing recreational smoking to racial slurs is just retarded and you know it worf.

Lay off the mods? This is the first slightly controversial thing to come across BuF in ages and boom it's gone. Hell, I don't even think it's that controversial at all. The mods are bored, how about they cut a little slack.

(if I get RO'd, please let it be PMB to do it, I like him more than the rest of the mods).

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
TossMonkey said:
(if I get RO'd, please let it be PMB to do it, I like him more than the rest of the mods).

I havent seen that Zenny guy do any moderating in this forum FOREVER!, then one peaceful sunday afternoon, Zenny pulls the ultimate in armchair moderation, and walks into a thread and locks it. And im like hey! your not zenpirate!

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
BTW, who else isn't expecting anything to change around here because of this debate? Fact is, this argument isn't one that will dramatically change the forums and arguing it isn't going to get us anywhere.

Point is the mods and admins have always had a different way of handling things, whether it's LoO or Zaccix or Raptor or hal or Proph or anyone else. This place is very subjective and, collectively, people's minds are hard to change around here.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If you want to argue the merits of whether pot should be legal, that's fine. But it has nothing to do with this topic. And it doesn't change the fact that if people talk about illegal conduct, they can be held liable for what they say. That's why the first of the Miranda Rights is the right to remain silent, and why the 5th Amendment says you can't be forced to incriminate yourself. The REASON is that the things you say CAN incriminate you for criminal behavior. It doesn't matter whether it's genocide or jaywalking; if the police decide to charge you, they can use the things you say as evidence. It's little wonder they decided not to let go a question that asks up front "Have you ever done [insert crime here]?"

And if you think this is the first controversial topic on the f0s in a while, you might want to scroll through a few pages. There's a bit about gay marriage somewhere in there, and I think there was some kind of a war or something...

:edit: by the way, there's nothing retarded about giving an example of social censorship at work today. It doesn't make the two cases comparable, it's a simple statement of fact: society has a hand in dictating what we can and cannot say, apart from the law, so holding up your "Free Speech!" placard every time a thread gets locked, THAT'S retarded.

Last edited:

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
Hal wont touch it
Maj doesnt see anything worth locking it
Loo just wishes he could smoke PoT
Zenny wont be back till sunday
PMB is too drunk to type
and I guess Zenpirate is still at work... so whenever hes off