Welcome

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
The standard forum welcome message :D.

If you haven't tried it yet, give UnWheel Beta 1.1 a go and come back soon to post some feedback or suggestions to get things started here ;).

Thanks to Pete and Sparky for making all this happen ;). It's awesome!

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I like the site redesign shrimp, you did that yourself?

And I LOVE the rear-view mirror.

P.S. Currently working on UW-RC-Carribean (waiting for a mate to get a fix for my mountain one)

screens will appear whenit is at a screenable stage...

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Of course I did it :p

There are currently two problems with the rear view though: 1) It's backwards (eg. if you drive next to a wall with the wall to your left, you will see it as being on your right in the 'mirror'), unfortunately I can't fix that. 2) Because it's rendering a whole world in that view (the same as the 'main' view), it will more then halve your frame rate :(. These limitations are why it's toggle-able, because it can't be perfect.

Anyway, looking forward to the maps, a Carribean one sounds interesting :D.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Shrimp said:
Of course I did it :p

There are currently two problems with the rear view though: 1) It's backwards (eg. if you drive next to a wall with the wall to your left, you will see it as being on your right in the 'mirror'), unfortunately I can't fix that. 2) Because it's rendering a whole world in that view (the same as the 'main' view), it will more then halve your frame rate :(. These limitations are why it's toggle-able, because it can't be perfect.

Anyway, looking forward to the maps, a Carribean one sounds interesting :D.

The back-to-frontiness is what a real mirror does, so it's perfect!

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Shrimp said:
It's backwards (eg. if you drive next to a wall with the wall to your left, you will see it as being on your right in the 'mirror'), unfortunately I can't fix that.

I assume this is because your're not actually mirroring, you're approximating a mirror effect by using a camera-type actor attached to the vehicle. Consider using actual mirrors via the Mirror texture setting and pointing the camera at that.

This may work fine if you can fit a reasonably sized mirror inside the vehicle. If not, you may have to do some tricky stuff with attaching a static mesh mirror outside the vehicle. The tricky part would be preventing others from seeing a big mirror floating above the vehicle.

Hope this helps =)

Last edited:

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Shrimp said:
Hmm, the theory is sound, but UT is disagreeing with me :)

Got a nice mirrored rear view, but it only renders one frame then sits there like a static texture, or it doesn't render anything... :(

Will keep trying.

Hmm. You could try using a regular mesh (DT_Mesh, not DT_StaticMesh). Perhaps static meshes can only desplay static textures as well. Sounds funny, but you could try it :)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
GRAF1K said:
Hmm. You could try using a regular mesh (DT_Mesh, not DT_StaticMesh). Perhaps static meshes can only desplay static textures as well. Sounds funny, but you could try it :)
go to angel mappers site, she has a tutorial for setting up a camera object that links to a texture (which you can move)