UE3 - UDK Website browser in UDK game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

liszto

Dec 2, 2011
Hi everyone,
my question can be funny or strange I know. But my team and me wanna create a transmedia game.
A game under Unreal Engine, another part of the game on a website, etc...

So my question is quite simple, it is possible to access to a website in the game with unreal engine or not ?
If this is impossible can we code an ALT+TAB-opening browser with a shortcut ? or something like that ?

I don't find any information except on databases.

Thanks in advance !

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Loading and formatting HTML via TcpLink should be possible. Note, however, that displaying images will likely not be possible because only existing textures can be displayed. It may be possible to create images at runtime using ScriptedTextures, but UnrealScript is definitely not able to decode GIF, PNG or JPEG images in a reasonable amount of time. You could probably move that task into DLLBind code, but the resulting pixel data would have to be drawn to a ScriptedTexture, which you can only do in UnrealScript. Granted, you could build the image incrementally, a few pixels at a time, but it will be slow.

Last edited:

liszto

Dec 2, 2011
That was the idea. But is it simple to do ?
I gonna check TCPLink with unreal script and if someone already done something like that.

I thought to use flash & actionscript (and try to load website in .swf) in the game but I need to use Scaleform, right ? And it seems to be not free.

I found this :
http://awesomium.com/

It's simple with Unity but not with UDK :/

Last edited:

liszto

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks I saw that before but I didn't post on it.

So without a steam integration it's impossible to use.
Maybe simulate something like that can be a good idea but this can take a long time :/

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
theoretically you can write your own overlay, with webkit-powered browser, like Steam's and add an interaction through DLLbind, however that will require some serious coding.

liszto

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for your answer !
Ok last question, can we implement this with scaleform UI ? or not ? Maybe open an UI like the F1 bind which is in the Unreal Development Kit ?
So UI with flash and actionscript 3can be possible ?

Thanks in advance ;)