Weaponbases and armor in Envy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zygar

Resident doomnut.
Feb 19, 2005
New Zealand.
zygar.co.nz
Yeah, I'm curious, now that Epic is ditching the sports style of the newer UT games, whether the shield belt and area based armor will return. I liked the way the shield belt actually took the damage for you, rather than, like the UT2004 armor, just dampened it down. I liked that little guy in the top right of the screen which showed you where you were taking damage, and how getting thigh pads or whatever would reduce damage taken in that area. Imagine this in the next UT, you see someone running up to you, with full armor, except on thier legs.
So you remove their kneecaps with the flak cannon.

And another thing - weapon and health bases. Any news on whether they're going to be in? I prefer the older style health packs to these new holograms that hover over some thing on the ground. I used to map for the orig ut, and one thing I liked to do occasionally was stick healthpacks on walls, or lean a weapon up against something. UT2k4 made this pretty much impossible. :( I suppose there ARE benefits to having health bases, such as... uhh... not... having to remember where the health is. C'mon, I don't think health and weapon bases really added much depth to the game, I wouldn't mind seeing them go.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Helps learn the maps better, without doing it offline where there isn't somone who already knows it to cycle it on you. Either way, I know what I have to do to learn it, so it doesn't matter to me. I don't think they look that bad.

I personally, hated everything about the shiled belt, and love the new armor system.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Those bases were pure code, there's technically no need for any visible static mesh to be attached to those spots excpet for us poor humans. AFAIK it's possible to set the staticmeshes to be invisible or at least drop them below the floor.

Besides ... I sort of keep hoping that they do implement the health/shield-bases like they had in Unreal 2 and Half-life. And I think that armor/shields are going to behave very different if they really are going to implement race/model-specific statistics this time.

One can only hope they do it as the dynamics of the entire game would change.
Imagine choosing a model for 'realistic' reasons (amount of armour/shields/health) instead of psychological reasons (ie : Satin only 'appears' to be difficult to hit).

Actually seeing the armor on the models would be nice, but somehow I doubt that is going to happen (far too many variables involved). It's not like shooting a hat/helmet of someone's head.

An energy-shield like UT/Unreal shouldn't be done as it just wouldn't look right at in the kind of high-detail environments that are part of this next-gen engine.

btw : doesn't anyone find it odd that no UT-competitor ever used a helmet or any other form of headprotection ?

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Zygar said:
I liked that little guy in the top right of the screen which showed you where you were taking damage, and how getting thigh pads or whatever would reduce damage taken in that area.

You are sorely mistaken, I'm afraid. UT Thighpads protected your head and feet just as much as your thighs. They provided 50 armor, and it was 50 armor everywhere, no matter where you got shot.

It was also a common misconception that shooting people in the head with every weapon killed them faster. With the exception of the Sniper and Ripper, all weapons did the same damage whether you shot them in the head or the foot.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I like the new armor system where shots are dampened instead of completely absorbed. UT2003 used the latter option, and they changed it, so what does that say?

I don't care about the bases though. They help ease the learning curve, which is already too high as it is. Perhaps for higher difficulty levels and competitive matches they can have the bases invisible... Though, being competitive means making the game easier for yourself with brightskins and hit sounds and what not, so that probably won't happen. :p

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Radeon285 said:
Originally Posted by JaFO- btw : doesn't anyone find it odd that no UT-competitor ever used a helmet or any other form of headprotection ?

Why you just go get a new head.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've seen plenty of UT2004 maps that don't have pickup bases. I've even seen some that have pickups stuck to the walls. Check out the remake of Scandinavium for one.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Turns2Ashes said:
I like the new armor system where shots are dampened instead of completely absorbed. UT2003 used the latter option, and they changed it, so what does that say?
Nothing, since UT used it too, and it was good.

Zygar

Resident doomnut.
Feb 19, 2005
New Zealand.
zygar.co.nz
I know you can hide the health bases, I just hate the hologram health pack, you can't make it look like a health pack mounted on a wall even if you remove the bases. The original health packs were so versatile, you could put them anywhere. With these ones, about the only place you can put them where it looks somewhat normal is on the floor.

Turns2Ashes said:
UT had the 2k4 style armor system too... as well as the shield belt. What would you rather have - 2k3 style armor, 2k4 style armor, or both, like in the original ut?

Last edited:

Vault

May 29, 2005
maybe they should have a health pad that when you stand on it, it starts to recharge your health, no more health boxes. they could also have ammo pads, and armor pads

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Vault said:
maybe they should have a health pad that when you stand on it, it starts to recharge your health, no more health boxes. they could also have ammo pads, and armor pads
Sorry but I must say that would be ****...

In a slow game like Halo whree you can take a break to get ur life back then carry on through SP mode... yeh that works.

Standing still in the middle of a DM match to regain your life is a ludicrus idea. "hang on let me just charge my health and you can line up the sniper rifle on my head......"

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Zygar said:
I know you can hide the health bases, I just hate the hologram health pack, you can't make it look like a health pack mounted on a wall even if you remove the bases. ...
You should look at Angelheart's maps ... he often replaced the health-holograms with something that fit the level.
ie : there was nothing that said you had to use the 'official' static meshes, altough using the official meshes (and bases) made it easier for new players to recognise the healthpacks et al.

// The_Head
Health-generators were part of the original plan for UC/UT2k3.
AFAIK the idea was that the items would recharge slowly (thereby allowing you to choose between picking up part of the health or waiting) instead of the on/off-situation for current health- and ammo-packs.

I think such items would work in the things like ONS & Conquest.
DM probably could be different. Perhaps removing the concept of healtpacks completely and relying on nothing but the shield & armour to protect yourself from damage ...

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
Hmm, that no health DM idea sounds very cool. For a mutator though, lotsa people would complain if you changed the gametype.

Vault

May 29, 2005
The_Head said:
Sorry but I must say that would be ****...

In a slow game like Halo whree you can take a break to get ur life back then carry on through SP mode... yeh that works.

Standing still in the middle of a DM match to regain your life is a ludicrus idea. "hang on let me just charge my health and you can line up the sniper rifle on my head......"

well you would recharge your health, thats the point, it would be a challenge, and it would recharge like really slow, it would be like 10 hp a sec or somthing, i mean this idea does suck, but its an alternative