Weapon Smacking

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Ok, one of the things that INF lacks is somthing that i found in the game HALO. The melee attack. You can hit ur enemy with your gun.

As it stands now in Inf, if u run out of ammo you, A) reload, B) drop ur weapon and fire with the next C) throw a nade, or D) STAB the enemy :). However much of the time when im feeling naughty and i want to stab someone they are alerted to my presence when i pull out the knife or take out a different weapon. Anyways i want Inf to be able to hit the enemy with my weapon like in HALO. I think its a realistic feature that would be cool to have. Would this be hard to do?? ie more animations etc???? Post ur thoughts. pEaCe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
in halo, it can take 60 bullets to kill an evil alien, or one whack.
" I think its a realistic feature that would be cool to have."
If your feature were to be implemented, it wouldn't be alot like halo. It would also require a new animation for each and every gun configuration, which is just ****tarded, so assign your quick action key to your knife and listen to Mr. Stabby records.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
Hehehehe...just had visions of a player standing over the prone body of an enemy sniper (wearing a helmet) and smacking the crap out of him only for it to have little effect....could be funny on-line so hell I'm in favour :D

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
A rifle butt to teh head can very easily kill you as can one to the neck. A hit to the back, kidneys, stomach, face or chest has a good chance of incapacitating you and may kill. A hit to legs or arms also has a good chence of incapacitating but little chance of killing.

A rifle weilded as a club is a very effective weapon if somewhat short ranged. You only have to consider the leverage advantage you have when flailing the damned thing about to know you don't want to be on the receiving end of it.

As a counter to the clubbed rifle or even bayonet I propose the usual method.... Don't run out of ammo an shoot the bugger before he gets close, because if you don't and he has the guts for it, it's going to be very short and very bloody.

As to adding it to INF, would be nice but the work involved would be far too great.

GruntX

Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.
Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
Tiffy said:
A rifle butt to teh head can very easily kill you as can one to the neck. A hit to the back, kidneys, stomach, face or chest has a good chance of incapacitating you and may kill. A hit to legs or arms also has a good chence of incapacitating but little chance of killing.

The temporary incapacitation would give enough time for another blow. And another! And another! And so on.
It may also disarm him! :D

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
If you are close enough to give someone a headbutt, you should already be dead. If your enemy has half a brain of course. For those instances where he doesn't have half a brain, just shoot the phucker.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Well sometimes I will stab in order to not make noise Almost. Shooting gives away postion alot. Definatly if they have good speaker systems. The other day on SG server i got 3 people in the same round that were within about 45 meters of eachother that way....

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Yes, and I love how people that don't play that much just say "shoot him." I have come into several instances where both of us were strafing like hell to avoid getting hit while spraying away on full auto. We would both run out of ammo, attempt to toss some nades at each other's feet, the resort to charging the enemy with a knife.

It would be much more realistic (and just cooler) to be able to bayonet charge them or just smack their brains in.

Lastly it isn't THAT much work for the UT2k4 engine. RO did it fairly easily, so I think INF could one up that and make it even better.

People in this forum section need to get it into their tiny skulls that 90% of the suggestions here are for the NEXT GEN INF. They are not suggesting that the INF team go back and redesign a boat load of new content for the original UT engine. Stop answering every idea with "NO that is too hard on this engine for too little gain!" It is not constructive and doesn't help anyone come up with ideas.

Last edited:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:
I have come into several instances where both of us were strafing like hell to avoid getting hit while spraying away on full auto. We would both run out of ammo, attempt to toss some nades at each other's feet, the resort to charging the enemy with a knife.
How about we fix that first, eh?

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Almost, you may have betatested a lot and played for the first two weeks that 2.9 came out .... But I have barely seen you at all since then. Also, Tiffy doesn't exactly live on the servers.

This doesn't make your opinions or arguements less valid. It is just that you may lack some experience with those relatively rare instances where resorting to your knife is your best option.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Allright, since you obviously think you know more about my gaming habits than I do, I'll give it to you straight. I have, since the day 2.9 was released, made it a point to play at least one hour every day. Sometimes I use an alias, sometimes I don't.

Don't tell me what or how much I play. You have no clue.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Well, Halo sucks, but this is an ok suggestion.

I have to agree with keihaswarrior. Just muttering something about "it would take too much work for the animations" is kind of a lame excuse. This is new version suggestions, and any suggested new action is probably going require animation or work of some sort.

Anyway, being forced to go to knife is kind of unnessesary. I think given Inf's realism, it should have a certain 'natural action' to it. If you're suddenly in a tight situation with an enemy right in your face and he's about to shoot you, you're not going to sling your rifle and draw your knife while expecting the enemy to politely wait while you get strapped in. Hitting someone with a melee attack would be an immediate, instinctive, almost involuntary reflex response. If Inf is going to claim total realism, the Inf player should be capable of this response too.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Almost said:
Allright, since you obviously think you know more about my gaming habits than I do, I'll give it to you straight. I have, since the day 2.9 was released, made it a point to play at least one hour every day. Sometimes I use an alias, sometimes I don't.

Don't tell me what or how much I play. You have no clue.
LOL I can't believe you are getting offended by the notion that others have far more online experience in INF than you do.

And as far as your practice of playing INF in secret under an alias no one knows basically everytime you play.... I am sorry but that is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, and franky I think it is BS. When I see you play, you aren't exactly hounded by INF fans like Beppo sometimes was.

You say sometimes you use an alias sometimes not, ..... it appears the vast majority of the time is with an alias. The last time you played any EAS at all using "Almost" was March 20th. You play CS with the name Almost quite a bit more than INF.

---Gaah, This line of discussion is just a waste of space. I am not even sure what we are arguing about, the fact is I play more INF than you. I don't know why that offends you 'since it really is NOT that important.

Last edited: