1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

We want VEHICLES

Discussion in 'Mod/Mutator Ideas' started by empty, Nov 24, 2001.

1. empty

empty New Member

How comes so far there's only 3 mods with vehicles?? Unrealcraft, SAS, and Orbit Wars/NeoCairo, and the first one was cancelled! When I say vehicles I mean the player moves with it, it's not used as a weapon, and it's NOT the player. Airflight UT, Quantum Flight Jet, and Strangelove don't count. In other words, normal vehicles that you would expect from Tribes 2, Red Faction, Operation Flashpoint, CS, etc.

We want vehicles!! The vehicles in Orbit Wars/NeoCairo are the only real vehicles I drove in UT so far. What is it about UT that prevents so many mod developers from implementing vehicles?

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

The work involved is NUTS.

You want vehicles, Tribes 2 has them.... but I wouldn't count on a real vehicle mod for UT. U2 maybe though. UT's just about dead though, U2 will be out Q2 2002. Or that's the scheduled release anyway.

3. empty

empty New Member

4. Nemephosis

well whaddya asking me for? I don't know :p

Go ask them ;)

What's preventing mod makers these days is the fact that UT's on its way out. Face it, it's going the way of Unreal 1. Gonna be rarely played when U2 comes out. All the attention is on that.

5. empty

empty New Member

Just an unrelated question: when would games that require more than 32 MB video card and Pentium III 666 mhz processor become common? I want an estimate.

6. Nemephosis

No idea, but at the rate games are developing it'll be sooner than we all think.

7. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

real kind words form the guy who dose the ratings :rolleyes:

heh :D

8. Nemephosis

hey, there's no vehicle mod to review so shaddap ;):D

9. Postal

Postal I apear to have lost my pin.

How many of you have actualy used the vehicals made for ut?

How many of you have used the U4e tanks, and helecopter, the Orca (made for Project Unreal), and the heavy metel stuff?

10. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

que?

what tanks? am I missing something :con:

11. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

I never quite understand the desire to have vehicles in an FPS unless they are just done really, really well. I even found Tribes vehicles a bit goofy. CS vehicles are practically hilarious in their lack of usability.

I'm just not sure the complexity of writing a really solid vehicle is worth what frequently would just amount to novelty.

And Neme - I don't think UT and it's mods will vanish next year with the wake of Unreal2. In fact, UT will be even cheaper then, which might make it easier to distribute (helped HL out).

But, that said, I really hope code will be portable to U2, and yeah - if someone really wanted to do a mod with this much complexity, I would think they would wait for the next engine.

rgx :enforcer:

12. Nemephosis

U4E was supposed to have tanks in it, but it turned out that Holger didn't like the way they came off when finished so he scrapped them. It's really too bad about that.

13. MrNasty567

MrNasty567 New Member

i like the idea of vehicles i could run over people and shoot them and for once that bastard who always jumps around and is harder than hell to shoot could be blown to pieces bahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

and u4e would definitely be better with tanks for obvious reasons actually i got tired of u4e after like 2 weeks and tanks would be sweet even if they sucked in looks

14. Pfhoenix

Pfhoenix Programmer Extraordinaire

Vehicles revisited

Speaking as a coder who has done vehicles for UT (the vehicles with NeoCairo were done by me), I have only this to say :

UT's physics is 100% not geared for anything more complicated than a moving cylinder, which is all it can do. Vehicles require not only a lot of hacking of player code, but if you want any degree of realism in behavior that isn't simply mimicking player movement, you have to recode even basic collision detection, and that's not something anybody wants to do.

End result - the Unreal engine wasn't designed to handle vehicles and their implications on player movement/code. Wait until Unreal Championship.

- Pfhoenix