1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

We want TAVOR!

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by carnivore, May 8, 2001.

1. Dr.Dase

Dr.Dase New Member

What? I'm pretty sure the AR15 series uses diopter sights! At least evey one i've seen, if it wasn't a diopter, how would you explain the sight being so close to your eye, it's in the carrying handle, and if you would have a standard slit type sight, you wouldn't be able to hit ****, look at other weapons with these sights, most common the AK47 series, the sights are like halfway down the rifle, not next to your eye....

This might just be me mistaken, since i'm swedish, and it might be the names i'm confusing, but i'm sure the M16 has diopter sights.

2. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Do you know what a dipoter sight is?

These are diopters from various HK weapons. (bonus points to Shakken if he can tell me which sights are from what type of weapon)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the view through a Diopter sight.

[​IMG]

Show me a milspec AR-15 with any of these on it and i'll make you a millionaire.

EDIT: For a little more information (bugger all actualy) go to http://www.hkpro.com/sights.htm

3. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

IIRC The M16 hadn't even been invented when the M14 entered service, so it would be quite difficult to equip it's forces with a weapon that didn't exist.
    At any rate, what do you mean by they have a rule about weapons not looking futuristic? This looks pretty futuristic.

4. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

The first and second pic shows a HK rifle diopter. Most probably a G3 or HK33 series rifles.

The third pic shows a HK machinegun aperture off a HK21 or similar.

The fourth pic is the subgun diopter off an MP5.

Only thing wrong with HK sights is you need a screwdriver to adjust windage, and the fork tool to adjust elevation.

poaw: Welding a VCR to an M4 is not what I'd call 'futuristic'.

5. Rowley

Rowley New Member

You are wrong here, ArmaLite developed AR-10 (essentially M16, only in 7,62NATO) in 1955. In 1957 US military put out the specs for the new assault rifle: max. weight 6 lbs and ballistic properties equal to .30 cal up to 300 yards. One year later this was upped to 500 yards. ArmaLite responded with AR-15 in new caliber: 222 Rem. Special, the name was later changed to 223 Remington. In march 1958 the gun was tested successfully but the military adopted M14 few months later. ArmaLite lost interest in AR15 and sold the licence to Colt. We all know what happened few years later...

6. Rowley

Rowley New Member

I was talking about European countries and by that i mean their ARMED FORCES. Standard assault rifle of British Army is SA80. Special commando types like SAS use a wide variety of weapons, they even use AK's if the situation requires that.

7. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

The SAS prefer the colt commando actually.

8. DeadeyeDan[ToA]

DeadeyeDan[ToA] de oppresso liber

Well if you meant "standard assault rifle for the entire armed forces," you should have said so. Saying "Not a single European (except Netherlands who uses Canadian Diemaco) country uses M16's or any other US firearms." just isn't correct.

And if American weapons are so bad, why does the SAS have a history of using them? 1911s, Garands, Thompsons, Brownings, Barretts, Remingtons, and at least 3 M16 varients. Keep in mind that they've used these while purposely avoiding some poorer made British guns, like the Sten and SA80 (FYI, they only use the SA80 when disguised as regular troops).

Last edited: May 12, 2001
  9. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

? sorry, is Diemaco another weord for the C7? because last I checked that was what our military used as it's main weapon.

10. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Yes it is Fur.

The Canadian have this thing about designing their own weapons. (IE, They don't):)

11. Luminuis

Luminuis Herald of the Newest Dawn

Diemaco=M-16

LOL.

What a rip off.

12. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

The c7 is an improved m16. It's better quality then the US built stuff that's why we chose it.

13. Nerf Herder

Nerf Herder The Scruffy Looking Man

C7 IS an M-16. The US has flat out given them M16s quite often. There is no improving involved. The difference is the C7A1 is what's in service and it still has FA in the trigger group. Where as the US version M16A2 is semi/3rd burst only.

14. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

According to a very reliable source, there is indeed a difference betwen C7 and M16A2 (OK, I admit, the source is JA2, so don't believe this until Gryphon or ShakKen say so..):

The C7 has some kind of plate that better deflects the ejected rounds, so lefties won't get them into their face. There are said to be some other differences, but don't ask me what - I'm not even sure about the first one..

Snakeye :D

15. Nerf Herder

From what I can tell from checking the Diemaco site and other places there is very little difference. A few cosmetic changes. Diemaco probably offers better deals and since Semi/FA is the regular trigger group for the C7 more countries would pick it up. The US is kinda odd in having Semi/3rdBurst.

16. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

Deimaco collaborated with Colt in the development of the M16A2.

The C7 is built domestically in Canada.

17. Luminuis

Luminuis Herald of the Newest Dawn

So? It's an M16 with a few slight modifications and a Made In Canada sticker.

18. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Yes, it is.

But its Canadian, so I like it more already :)

There are also domestic models of the M4 and Minimi made. Called the C8 and C9 respectivly.

19. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

Canada ROCKS!!! (look at my avatar :D )

Yeah, I was actually looking at the Canadian Forces website recently and was interested to see that all the Diemaco weapons we use are all renamed (possibly slightyly modified) versions of other weapons (such as the M16 and M249). I'd like to see them design a weapon from scratch, but that's doubtful.

[*]Canadian Forces
    [*]Diemaco

From the info on the Canadian Forces site, the C7A1 we use here are all flat-top recievers with a mounted scope.

20. Nerf Herder

Yeah. Some people don't like the AR family's iron sights.