We finally surrendered to SOCOM

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

U/D/T/SNAKE

Only partially annoying now
Marines Have resisted entering SOCOM for years. The primary thinking of my fellow gyrines was that Marines Support Marines operationally through our own forces and SOCOM would detract from that as well as not provide support when neccessary. Marine Force Recon , Snipers, and Buds trained jarheads, combat divers, etc. already perform clandestine operations for the DOD, CIA, and the CNO, SOCOM being a seperate force was naturally a force that the Marine Corps wanted to stay away from especially as the Marine Corps is so small. From other articles that I have read, One of the reasons is technology allowing for a more resource on demand battlefield where pulling resources from another branch of service is far easier today on the Battlefield and its just getting easier with all the gps, satallites, and high tech comm centers. Oh well, guess it was just a matter of time.

Article: http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/200562401751.asp

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
ah. I though it was just another way to say that we surrendered to UN17 and his Mk23. nm then. :p

Interesting though. After reading a little, I also agrees that it was just a matter of time. But I'm clearly missing something. I'll try to read a little more later on when I get more time. The title alone, using the word "surrender" which is a pretty strong word in my book, make it sound like it's a very bad thing. OK... the marines command is losing direct control of a part of their force, but I fail to see how this is so bad from a remote and global point of view, especially in times like this (and with the kind of wars fought today), where communications and coordinations between different task force and even between local law inforcement and local armed force is crucial.

U/D/T/SNAKE

I agree in the level of imprtance of of the SOCOM community today. The marine Corps however has always been a self sufficient force whos operations have never relied upon SOCOM but instead our own operators (if you will). Im not really sure either way at this point what value add or detract this will have if anything. My first thought is that SOCOM simply wanted Marines within the community to round out the whole organization with regards to the Marine rifleman himself and the training and expertise that goes along with it. Clearly they need bodies and pulling from regular army troops is probably not a good option due to the training needs and requirements.

As I said im not wholey clear on this one. Im confident that marines will add an immense value to the SOCOM organization, so maybe its just that simple...the value add factor and the need. I have to do some more reading on it.

Forgot to add: Marines do perform identical operations as SOCOM but sustain themselves through the process.

Last edited:

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Yeah, yeah, we know, Semper Fi do or die, ooooo-rah, the Marines are the greatest/best/most relied upon/etc. **yawn**:rolleyes:

:lol:

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
5eleven said:
Marines are the greatest/best/most relied upon/etc. **yawn**:rolleyes: :lol:
Yes! You didn't saw ALIENS? All the nice M41A Pulse rifles, the cool M56 smartguns and the awesome rusty shotgun.
Man, Marines kick ass even in the future.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
5eleven said:
ooooo-rah
OT question:
I heard that a couple of times on TV and wondered if anyone knows the origin of it. It sounds like some odd version of hurrah.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
U/D/T/SNAKE said:
Its simply the marine Corps Battle cry. You dont hear it much in the corps everyday except in the morning during run cadence. Run chants are full of OOORAH's.
Aye, I meant more how it was created.
I guess the question is kinda moot, though. It's just that to me it realy sounds like some weird heavy accent version of hurra and I wondered it there's a connection betwen the two. Don't worry, I won't ask next how kiiiaaah! hu! and aaah! was created. :D

U/D/T/SNAKE

Have internet will find: It also describes how I got my handle which about 4 years ago caused an argument on these boards. Also my old unit is mentioned here. Not sure how authentic this is.

OK, HERE IT IS! THE DEFINITION AND HISTORY OF 'OORAH'

Right after Korea in 1953 the 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the birth of "OORAH" in the Corps.

Specifically, where it came from was when Recon Marines were aboard the Submarine USS PERCH, ASSP-313. The Perch was an old WWII diesel boat retrofitted to carry UDT and Amphib Recon Marines. If you remember the old war movies, whenever the boat was to dive, you heard on the PA system, "DIVE,DIVE", and you heard the horn sound "AARUGHA", like an old Model "A" horn.

Sometime in 1953 or 1954, 1st Amphib Recon Marines, while on a conditioning run on land singing chants, someone imitated the "Dive" horn sound "AARUGHA", and it naturally became a Recon Warrior chant or mantra while on runs. It is sort of like the martial arts yell and adds a positive inference to the action. And this became part of Recon lexicon.

Former SgtMaj of the Marine Corps, John Massaro, was the company gunny of 1st Force in the late 50s and when he tansferred to MCRDSD as an instructor at DI school he took "AARUGHA" with him and passed it on to the DI students and they , in turn, passed it on to recruits.

Just as "Gung Ho" became symbolic of the WWII Raiders, so did "AARUGHA" become part of the new "running Marine Corps."

Over time, "AARUGHA" EVENTUALLY CHANGED TO "OORAH". The official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AARUGHA", giving credence on the orgination of the 'POSITIVE RESPONSE' accenting anything that is meant to be good and uniquely Marine Corps.

It is part of Marine Corps language, like "Pogey Bait", "SOS", etc.

Semper Fi & Gung Ho,

Sgt. Wolf" **************************

Since May I have been attempting to contact Major Marte for his verification of this story. On 12 August 2002, I received the following e-mail from the major.

Gunny... When I was in ist Amphib Recon Company (54-57) when we went on our conditioning runs we would chant and one of the sayings was "AARUGHA" which was imitating the sound of the klaxon horn on board the submarine whenever the announcement was made "DIVE, DIVE". This was started by SgtMaj Dave Kendricks (Then a Gunny in 1952 in Amphib Recon) Today, it is part of the Marine Corps language as is Semper Fi, Gung Ho, etc. Loosely translated it means acknowledgement to a question and anything positive. Hope this helps!

Semper Fi Gary "Buddha" Marte Major, USMC, Ret (1952-1982)

In my opinion, we have most likely finally hit paydirt here! It has long been thought, as expressed by many responses to my queries, that OohRah was grounded in Marine Recon. The fact that Maj Marte is an old-time Recon Marine, and was there in the early 50s, lends credence to an altogether plausible explanation as to the beginning and evolution of OohRah. I expect to publish this information on Gunny G's websites; hopefully, other Marines with knowledge of this will also come forward to comment on this

My most sincere thanks to Major Marte, Dr. Osanka, Bob Rader and others mentioned above.. Semper Fidelis R.W. "Dick" Gaines GySgt USMC (Ret.) 1952-72 Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Another mystery solved.

"AARUGHA" EVENTUALLY CHANGED TO "OORAH"

First hit in google:
"Oorah, which means "Awaken," was founded in 1980 with the goal of awakening Jewish children and their families to their heritage."

There's more to it. A dark and sinister secret, a conspiracy of immense dimensions. :eek:

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
I once told one of my sergeants(former USMC) at Ft. Bragg, that Chesty Puller was a fag........in jest of course. I think I did pushups until the following day.

U/D/T/SNAKE

Thats funny because I didnt do alot of pushups ever. It just wasnt doled out as punishment. Thats not just my experience but generally if you screw up your doing things like run in place, pushups, run in place pushups, leg raisers, run in place faster, faster, side straddle hops, mountain climb...faster...like that. It was rare to actually see someone get down and do 50. Mostly theyd have you flappin around like a fish until you couldnt stand up anymore and then make you start all over again because you not standing at the proper position of attention when they yell STOOOP!!! this could go on for hours by the way. One time we did it from 4am until 9am nonstop outside, in our skivies in the dirt with sand spurs farkin everywhere, prickin and stickin in your face , hands, feet legs etc. Another time we had to stand at attention from 330am until around 1030am, guy were literally passing out, falling over cold like cartoon characters face first. The famous words of the DI's were, " we can play games all goddam day ladies...JUST BEGIN!!! and all over again. It was actually mind boggling as you think "is this tyranical satan spawn going to allow me to live another day" and the thing that made it all the worse was the DI's do it all with you and better...these guys were like farking ironmen...Im ranting now sorry.

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Kinda like any basic training ;) I like reading that stuff. Makes me feel like Im' not alone lol in civy world.

I did inspections from 6:00 pm to 1:00 am becasue some ass hole didn't lace his boots right. And I'm a reservist lol. Canada is the most hardocre on that sort of torture (as far as non special forces go) because we're so PC they're technically not allowed to swear and they need to ask out permission to even touch us.

It sounds like Basic is easy but they find more creative ways to make you pay so in the end I'd rather get a flash in the pants or a slap in the mouth than stand at attention in mosquito infested fields for 3 hours.

Last edited:

U/D/T/SNAKE

chuckus said:
Kinda like any basic training ;) I like reading that stuff. Makes me feel like Im' not alone lol in civy world.

I did inspections from 6:00 pm to 1:00 am becasue some ass hole didn't lace his boots right. And I'm a reservist lol. Canada is the most hardocre on that sort of torture (as far as non special forces go) because we're so PC they're technically not allowed to swear and they need to ask out permission to even touch us.

It sounds like Basic is easy but they find more creative ways to make you pay so in the end I'd rather get a flash in the pants or a slap in the mouth than stand at attention in mosquito infested fields for 3 hours.

Yeah, hated the stinking sand fleas, and god forbid if you move to scratch those things as they literally swarm all over your face and body , up your nose and crotch. Now commingle that with a couple kicks to the groin, a wallup in the head and face, getting strangled and you basically have MCRD parris island in 1983. Your very right about the getting hit stuff though, you almost get to a point where its nothing, the real bitch is those f ck f ck games that you play all day. By the time you hit the rack at night your head is spinning and your completely numb and spent. Its like a lethean existence...ranting again.

5eleven

Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
My experience with a former jarhead wasn't in basic training. It was during my assignment with the 82d around 1988.......I was already an E-4 and he just made E-5, and I threw out the "Chesty Puller was a fag" comment just to aggravate him. It worked.