1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Waves UDK Game Needs More Followers

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Sir_Brizz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. HUN\nite

HUN\nite Stand-Combo User

i only meant that UDK should be used ( too ) to improve UNREAL and not using for -12 child games

ut3 would be all better if Epic would allows the designers in UDK to edit ( improve ) the content

for-example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/DX10UT_01.jpg

but this would be only the skin while with UDK modders could fix the engine problems all over the game caused by the primitive copy from console to pc platform.

BUT epic says no all of these ideas since its "(c)" etc blabla and they doesn't support the modders of there own community to at least they fix the game for ourself

2. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Oh, so the UDK shouldn't be used to make diverse funny games, but only improving UT3? Are you stupid or something? Also, these guys probably don't have much interest in UT. They just wanted to do something with the UDK.

Are you seriously angry that Epic won't open the source of a game that isn't older than 3 years?

3. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

It seems like you've missed the point. UDK aims at independent developers.
    And it's the best news from Epic since UT2004.

4. {Ogre}Spin

{Ogre}Spin New Member

100% agree. Every release which shows the diversity of UDK is a great thing, in my eyes.

Or, of course, we could focus entirely on ut, the past and conversations about whether any game on uengine looks like GoW.

5. 2_Face

2_Face New Member

6. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Scroll down and look at some of the mods here

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2010-indie-of-the-year-awards/news/epic-games-and-udk-join-the-awards

Do they all look like childrens games to you? Of course not. Some of them take a more serious tone, some of them are minigames, some of them follow a cartoon-based art design. The point is variety and allowing people who normally would not be able to afford a Engine licsence to create the game they have always wanted to make and possibly make a few bucks off it. Everyone has to start from somewhere, and the UDK allows many people to start their dreams in game design.

UT3's issues were not with the Engine dude. The engine is amazing. Look at all the blockbuster games that have been made with it.

If you think there is something wrong with the gameplay, then you can always make a mutator changing it (which there are dozens already) and if you don't like the menus, there have already been a few UWindows and other menu projects in development.

I really don't see what you are complaining about. Almost everything in UT3 can be changed with the mod tools that came with the game. You don't need the source code to fix anything. Giving away the source, at this point in time, where they are making millions of engine licenses, would be silly for anyone in their position to do.

7. xear0

xear0 New Member

And the award for FAIL POST OF THE YEAR goes to......HUN\nite for his highly retarded contribution to this forum. :lol:

8. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

How is this a -12 year old game? I still play Geometry Wars, it's fun. And there may be a lot of games like this, but this one looks well made and entertaining. The existence of many of one style of game doesn't mean no new games like that should be made. Most of the Geometry Wars clones I have played are terrible, especially the flash ones.

9. HUN\nite

N1ghtmare:

all i see is ut3 still unusable in the e-sport ( who cares the menu, omg )

- and i'm still NOT talking about the mods where there are many good jobs ;) nor the not unreal related games created with UDK -

and those who says everything can be fixed via mutators: i just have to doubt they ever played the game on esport level and not just against novicebots in singleplayer on a atomreactor dad's pc :p nonsense

no1 needs the source code as u says so to me ;) just the releaser permission to legally take _usable_ modification on the game with UDK ( as there is no other tool to do so afaik )

p.s: 'should be used too' | doesnt mean 'just for' | in my language
    the problem is even if some1 would want to do anything, he just cant due to the copyright thing :p

10. Sir_Brizz

I don't see how UDK would help in anything but the looks department.

11. HUN\nite

in a very extreme way

lets say a group of ppl would be able ( seeing some of the released mod's quality its potentially doable ) to create a game/mod as 'ut4' ( since no more patches will be done for ut3 there is no other way to "save" this game ) under/for ut3 by the taste of PC users and esport players like a "esport_edition" would be a way to do that with UDK

the sales part/policy could be rly easy with a restriction that "if you wanna play it" or more likely _to be able to_ play it - that mod, you must have the original ut3 game to do so

now, clearly Epic wont create a new ut series while the modders of the community could be easily done this part ( "working" along -and alone- with epic games ) and make it ( the usable and potentially needed changes/fixs ) happen by that way.

and here comes my "(c) slogen" and "epic say no" stuff | while all of these effort would only make things better for both side ( company & community )

12. Sir_Brizz

The thing is, anythin aside from the graphics you could do with UDK, you could also do with UT3 (in general).

13. HUN\nite

to give a better point of view about this i need to quote NakedApe words about this from a other site + a link

the link: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=705683

and a few words about UT related stuff+UDK:

Steve Polge wrote:
    "You are permitted to use UT code, but not assets, in a commercial UDK app."

14. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

HUN: You were claiming UT3 was a console port, so I was assuming you were talking about the menu design, because the gameplay is anywhere from a console port. If your talking about the netcode, then epic has always been not so good on those terms.

But what do you want to change? The speed can be changed. The physics can be changed. The weapons can be changed. New maps can be made. Properties of pickups can be changed. Anything you want to change can be done as of NOW. A mod team with dedication could easily make a competition mod that acts as a standalone total conversion with anything they want changed.

15. Sir_Brizz

So? The point is, you can pretty much build anything you want on UT3. You could make just about any of the UDK games that have been released on UT3 (in fact, most of them started there). The only thing you're missing, for the most part, is graphical updates. So why not just heavily modify UT3?

16. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Asshattery? That is just stupid...of course you cannot use the hard assets unless you are making a free mod. Its an issue of respect and self-respect. This NakedAPe guy may need to read some history, too. Unreal was their first game and it just happened to have a genius of an engine that others started to license it. Epic started as a Game company and has slightly shifted to a game and software company with the advent of UE2 and UE3.

17. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

And no, the "free" part is in fact free. The educational limitation was for the original UE2Runtime.

18. Hideinlight

Hideinlight Member

I've kinda growned attached to the HOLP style maps. The UDK improved graphics versions of the stock maps I find kinda "boring". They suppose to look awesome, but it just doesn't do it for me.

19. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

This looks fun. Don't have twitter but would definitely play this.

20. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

I don't see anybody creating a FPS Tournament Arena game with UDK. You can create a game thats more or less UT anyways. Just don't use Epic's IP.