1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Watermark/Texturing question

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by Messenjah, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Messenjah

Messenjah New Member

Ok,

Before my team drops into full gear with going through all of the tutorials. I just want to know one thing about Maya PLE.

Is there a way to get your model in-game, using U,V,W coordinates with Maya PLE without seeing the watermark in-game or on the U,V,W map when exporting it for painting a texture in Photoshop?

I don't care if the watermark shows up in PLE as long as it doesn't show up in-game and as long as I can actually paint onto my U,V,W map.

2. Messenjah

Messenjah New Member

Heh, I guess I answered my own querry. Apparently in the newer versions of Maya you don't have to deal with the annoying watermark in wireframe mode. I was used to older variants that had the watermark even in wireframe mode. Glad to see the fixed it.

My only question is, can you use nurbs/spline modeling for UT2004? I noticed that the VTM's I've gone through thus far just describe generic sculpting methods. I was wondering if there is a way you can do something like a meshsmooth (3DS Max) or convert a nurbs surface into a polygon mesh (in 3DS Max you can just add a surface modifier and convert it into an editable mesh). This would make modeling much quicker and will look a lot nicer with a lot of my work. :)

3. ImaCarrot

ImaCarrot Professional Level Designer

yeah you can model in nurbs if you want, as I'm sure you know, unreal only supports polys (I don't know of any game engine that supports nurbs). Once you are done with your model, select it, go to Modify>Convert>NURBS to Poly. Just so you know, this is going to give you a ****load of poly's, more than unreal will like I'm sure. You can use the Reduce tool to help bring it down, that creates a very ugly mesh though. Ultimately it is probably best to just model in poly from the get go.

Carrot

4. chip

chip New Member

you'll be seeing the watermark in your UV Texture Editor window, so you'll need to do a little P-shop work to isolate the UVW wires. first off, i suggest you don't use the PLE "snapshot" utility, as it's limited in size & is difficult to use. i usually just maximize the UV Texture Editor window, zoom in to fill the workspace with the unit texture area (usually the upper right quad), then PrintScrn and paste into a new P-shop doc.

to isolate the UVW wires, use the magic wand at zero tolerance, non-contiguous, with no AA, to select just the wires, then use that selection to make a layer mask for the pasted screenshot. the masked layer can then be manipulated as needed for your texture painting.

you can paint at the screenshot scale and later scale your texture to a powers-of-two, or (my usual process), crop & scale the UVW wires screenshot to your chosen final rez. the slight fuzziness from sizing the image doesn't affect the accuracy, in my experience.

imacarrot speaks truth -- NURBs to polys can be lots more trouble than it's worth unless you have an unlimited poly budget (which no one does). conversion & cleanup takes more time than using polys from start to finish, and learning to use polys effectively and within a reasonable polycount is a valuable skill for game content modelers.