1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vista or XP (and a bunch of other questions)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by LtClifff, Feb 23, 2009.

1. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

Well 'Ello der Chaps! I have recently purchased all of the parts for a new computer.

GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)
    Antec 300
    XFX ATI 4870 1GB
    Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 500
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU
    OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 Gold Edition

I have a few questions.

The first one is, how well will this handle crysis. I have done alot of looking around and it seems as though it should play it fine. However nothing liek asking real people.

Im tempted to upgrade from XP to Vista. Is this a good idea? I have read around and the general consensus is that Vista is a good 5 or more frames slower on the same graphics settings. But lots of games nowdays do have the capabilites to play on very high settings only on Vista. (such as crysis)

So really my question is, will my computer setup be able to play Crysis on very high settings on Vista relatively smoothly. And is there a visual difference between Xp on high settigns and Vista on high settings.

And yes, I do know about the DX 10 on XP hack but im not sure i want to go there.

Thanks in advance!

2. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

No idea about Crysis, but if you already have an XP install disc that you're using, you should skip Vista and go for Windows 7 later this year. Nothing really requires Vista right now so there's no harm in waiting.

3. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

4. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

1280/1024 I dont plan to use AA and considering the human eye only sees at 25 FPS I think I would be happy with around 30 frames a second :D

Also, ill look into the "Hack" :D Ta

5. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Hmm not really. You should play a 60FPS game and then a 30FPS game. You will see a great difference :)

6. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

No. Really. The human eye only sees at 25 FPS. I know that for a fact. But i also know that when you play at 30 FPS even a drop of 6 frames every now and then will cause a lot of lag. Wheras it would not affect you with 60FPS.

7. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

60 fps just feels like a smoother 30 fps, but that could be because small fluctuations in frame rate are not as noticeable?

8. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

Yep. Youve pretty much hit the nail on the head :D

9. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

No, really, it doesn't :p
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

In 1280x1024 I honnestly think you'll be able to play comfortably in very high settings, in xp at least. My card is the equivalent of a 9800GTX and it runs Crysis fairly well in 1280x1024, "high" is really playable and "very high" (xp trick) is okay though I prefer to stick to high. That's with an e8400 as well. And if I drop to 1024x768, the fps boost is quite huge. Also, a lot of good tweaks are available on the net (i.e. "very high" quality with "high" performances)

And yeah, don't bother switching to Vista if you have your XP cds nearby. Not worth the upgrade and Windows 7 will probably be more interesting.

10. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

Thanks Kaleena.

However. I do know for a fact that the human eye sees at about 25 FPS. It can drop to about 10 in moments of stress. Motion blur and other stuff like that do not stop your eyes from seeing at 25fps.

11. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Except it's not true. :D
    You are talking about the necessary amount of frames per second for the illusion of movement to be fluid. This is generally 24FPS. However, the human eye can still see a difference between 24 FPS and 60 FPS, or 30FPS and 60FPS.
    I'd tell you to go ahead and play WipEout HD in single player mode (1080p 60FPS) and then try it in split screen (1080p 30FPS), but that isn't possible unless you happen to have a PS3 and 20$ on your credit card. :)