Video game killed 2 year old?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
Video game triggered attack that killed Gary 2-year-old
March 3, 2002

By Lori Caldwell

Post-Tribune staff report

GARY — Frustrated because he couldn’t win a video game, Michael Willis turned his anger on 2-year-old Kenneth Coleman, punching the child in the chest and stomach, an assault that cost the boy his life, Detective Cpl. Lanita Titus said Saturday.

Willis, 33, was charged with murder in Lake Superior Court in Crown Point on Saturday, two days after he and Kenneth’s mother, Phebe Wesley, 21, were arrested.

Wesley has been charged with neglect of a dependent and faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Willis can be sentenced to a maximum of 65 years in prison for his alleged crime.

Titus said Willis admitted striking the child at the family’s home Tuesday when he became angry after failing to win a video game a couple of times, the probable cause affidavit states. Kenneth fell off the bed and landed on the game controller and books on the floor, Willis told Titus.

When Wesley saw what happened, she asked Willis why he struck her child, the court record states.

Wesley told Titus her boyfriend said, “It was nothing,” and she “didn’t think any more about it because Michael played rough with his own son,” Titus said.

The court record says Wesley gave the child a bottle at Willis’ directions.

On Wednesday morning, they took Kenneth to the emergency room, where hospital officials said he was dead on arrival.

Medical personnel contacted police because of the extensive nature of the child’s injuries. After an autopsy was completed Thursday afternoon, Titus brought Wesley, who is pregnant with Willis’ child, to the police station for questioning.

Willis arrived later, and Detective Sgt. Thomas Branson placed him under arrest. Wesley was placed under arrest Thursday night as police continued their investigation.

Kenneth had been released from The Methodist Hospital in Merrillville a few days before his death. He had been ill with a respiratory ailment, investigators said.

A Child Protective Services caseworker initially told investigators he was familiar with the child’s condition and the bruises could be related to his medical problems.

Wesley’s 3-year-old son was placed in foster care Thursday.

source

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
A horrible crime by a horrible person. Anyone who can kill a 2 year old child because of a video game deserves to be locked away for a long time.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
From the sound of it,sooner or later the guy would have done something violent to his family,video game or no.What a Moron.

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
:hmm: thats going to piss off a bunch of people and they will blame it on violent games again, when it was the kids fault that he cant control his anger over a simple game. :rolleyes:

T

Terminal {DTH}

oh god no!

Originally posted by Law
A horrible crime by a horrible person. Anyone who can kill a 2 year old child because of a video game deserves to be locked away for a long time.

no. locking such a person up is hardly punishment enough. as a father of a young child i cannot adaqatly convay the horror i feel at the thought of that happening. at first i thought that the poor child didnt suffer much and died that day propuply from broken ribs... but no. it was much MUCH worse then that. :(:(:(

i can see it happening-
first hit : GET THR F*K AWAY! *casual swing of arm & fist. *wack!*
child cries out in pain, wich annoys him setting him off again. THIS time he closes his fist and str8 punches the child with FAR to much adrenilin backed strength no doubt breaking several number of the child's bones.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
This has nothing to do with video games. This is just some a$$hole that cannot control his temper.

thats going to piss off a bunch of people and they will blame it on violent games again, when it was the kids fault that he cant control his anger over a simple game.

Well that's what makes it even worse. It wasn't a kid that killed the baby.....

Willis, 33, was charged with murder in Lake Superior Court ........

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
....And this is the world we live in. A time when people point the finger of blame at other things to cover their actions and the people with the loudest voices are soccer moms with little to no education trying to run the politics of this country.:mad:

afkik

Dec 23, 2000
Munich
Visit site
Originally posted by Kokensu
This has nothing to do with video games. This is just some a$$hole that cannot control his temper.

yeah i know, but people that always bitch about games making other people hurt/kill others will blow up on that situation for no reason other than what he did, which really makes me mad, and its sick for what he did to that child :(

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Actually, there's a smaller chance of the soccer moms being as voiceful in this case than in others because of one thing: This wasn't a minor killing a minor; this was an adult killing a minor. If the soccer moms bitch and moan the whole "video games kill children" routine, someone needs to throw that in their face.

Still, I agree with you all as this guy does need to be locked away for a long time.

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Blaming this on video games would be a stretch even for a lobbyist. For all we know, this scumbag was playing an E-rated Disney game and he couldn't get past Level 6.

I can only hope that the rest of his fellow prisoners find out that he murdered a small child. That way they can give him the punishment he deserves...

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I take it he doesnt live in Texas, it would be the death pentaly there if he did, im surprised though that he isnt getting it anyways, because you would think that would happen from a murder like this.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by BillyBadAss
....And this is the world we live in. A time when people point the finger of blame at other things to cover their actions and the people with the loudest voices are soccer moms with little to no education trying to run the politics of this country.:mad:

WOW!!! I dont think anyone could have said it better!!! DAMN DUDE

YOU ****ING ROCK BY SAYING THAT!