Video Card Question...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Deathdealer

Dealer of Death
Mar 4, 2000
Newfoundland
Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I am thinking about getting a new video card and one I have spotted is an AOPEN GEFORCE 2 PA256 MX video card. However, I can't find any reviews online. Soooo, if anyone has any first hand experience with this card OR can refer me to any reviews of this card, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Deathdealer

Dealer of Death
Mar 4, 2000
Newfoundland
Thank you!

Thank you very much Beagle_One.

That was very useful. Now the only thing I have to conquer is the $193 (CDN) price tag :( But other than that :)

Thanks again. Anyone have this card and played UT with it yet? If so, how does INF look with it?

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Deathdealer:

$193 CDN for a good video card is a decent deal. I wok at a CompuSmart here in Ottawa, and most of our GeForce 2 MX cards are between $150 and $200.

Take a look at Asus' offerings. We have a 32MB V7100 (I think that's the model number) for $179.

I've got a ATI Radeon Mac 32 MB DDR that I paid $300 for, and I completely think it's worth it.

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
well...

I have a Creative 3d blaster anhialator 2. the second best card out there... I play on UT and INF with 1280x1024 res, and with 16 bit textures. it has over 80million pixel per second. I think it has 32mb DDR at 333Mhz. what I want is the first best.... the Creative 3d blaster anhialator 2 ultra...

.Sniper187.

Weekly War Founder and Real Maps Reviewer
Aug 5, 2000
weeklywar.sobservers.com
Before you rush out and buy a GeForce 2 MX, you may want to read <a href="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435">this review</a>. This card should be hitting store shelves soon, and looks to be <b>much</b> better than the MX at the same price.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Umm... BlueSniper, aren't you forgetting about a few cards like the Elsa Gladiac Ultra, the ATI Radeon 64MB DDR, etc... as well as the upcoming GeForce 3 and Radeon Pro chipsets?

Yours is an excellent card, but not the best, nor even the second best, and neither is the Anihilator 2 Ultra. Adn it's unlikely you will ever have THE BEST 3D video card for very long. Video card speed and power is doubling every 6 months. And even if you had the best card (at the time, until 2 months later something new and better is released), is it worth it?

The upcoming Nvidia GeForce 3 is by far the post powerful graphics chipset in existence, but most of it's features aren't even utilized in any games, nor will they be for about a year or so. And unless your computer is a 1GHz system opr better, your CPU will actually be the bottleneck on a video card like that.

And if everything above still suits you OK, are you willing to fork out $500-$600 for a bleeding-edge video card, that 2 months down the road is almost guaranteed to be available for half that price?

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
your right...

I did have the second best for about a month...

Deathdealer

Dealer of Death
Mar 4, 2000
Newfoundland
Thanks

Thanks to all of you...

very helpful indeed. Now my choice is a little tougher. Also, my price was wrong it is $167.50 CDN :)

Oh well. Well, thanks again.

StalkingViper

Anti-Grenade Launchers/Shotguns
Dec 1, 2000
need some help

I just recently bought a ATI Radeon 64 ddr.
My problem is that i cant get the latest Open gl beta driver to run with INF, and if it does run i get like 10 fps lol. Usually INF just crashes when it loads it. I have tried tweaking the settings in the INF INI file under Open GL but i get the Big natta. Which i find strange since this card is supposed to take full advantage of Open GL.
im also running DX 8a. It seems to work fine in regular UT. Any ideas? Id appreciate it.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Sniper, KryoII sux, plain and simple. :p

My Elsa Gladiac 920 G3 will be here in like a week or so. I don't really care if it's the best right now, but no matter what, it will be better than my G1 SDR, that's for damn sure, so I'm not gonna complain. :)

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Ballistophobia, is that the 3d card that you said cost you like $600(or some five-hundred-odd dollars)??