vertex editing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
I can't think of a tutorial, but ill explain below...

find the vertex editing tool: the top right button on the left bar.
click on the green cube button.

the keys you will need to use are: Alt, Ctrl, and Shift.

click on the [vertex edit button] then click on the brush you want to edit. If you hold down both Alt, and Ctrl, and left click and drag over the points you wan to edit. You will see those points turn white, and the unselected points grey. Hold the Ctrl button down while left clicking an dragging (on the 2d view) and move the points around.

If you want to change the middle points of the cube, select the [vertex edit button] and then select the cube, hold shift while left clicking and dragging. There is little use for this, but i've needed it now and then.

-------------------------------------

or heres another way..

without using the [vertex edit tool]

click on the [camera button], then click on the brush you want to edit. then click on the single point you want to edit. Hold Alt while left clicking and dragging and move the point around.

Another little useless trick: using the camera button, hold shift while left clicking and dragging to move the grid around instead of the brush.

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site

click on the [vertex edit button] then click on the brush you want to edit. If you hold down both Alt, and Ctrl, and left click and drag over the points you wan to edit. You will see those points turn white, and the unselected points grey. Hold the Ctrl button down while left clicking an dragging (on the 2d view) and move the points around.

If you want to change the middle points of the cube, select the [vertex edit button] and then select the cube, hold shift while left clicking and dragging. There is little use for this, but i've needed it now and then.

or heres another way..

click on the [camera button], then click on the brush you want to edit. then click on the single point you want to edit. Hold Alt while left clicking and dragging and move the point around.

Another little useless trick: using the camera button, hold shift while left clicking and dragging to move the grid around instead of the brush.

The second method works, the vertex tool screws in my UEd. It only marks one edge white, you can move it, but no second one afterwards. So whats the difference between the too, cause the second method works more simple:

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
Serious Question

Just wanna ask again
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or heres another way..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second method works, the vertex tool screws in my UEd. It only marks one edge white, you can move it, but no second one afterwards. So whats the difference between the too, cause the second method works more simple:

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
The second method does work a little simpler, actually i just figured that out a few minutes before i replied to your question. the only problem with the second method is when clicking on a vertex to edit, it only selects the one vertex in front. What if there is 2 or more vertexes on the same grid cross. You have to use the vertex edit tool to select both vertexes (the one in front and the one behind that you can't see).

The first method is what i use the most. I learned this method first, so im fast at it.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
If I had a pound for every time I got that delightful "Not enough vertices" error, I'd be a happy chappy :)

If you're trying to edit a brush with dimensions of 8 or less, It sometimes helps if you make the brush with a dimension of 16 or more to begin with, and then downsize the grid and move the vertices to the required position.

This tends to stop the bug where three or more vertices stick together when you move them (but it still a'int perfect)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Cubes and stuff are OK.
Editing large numbers of vertecies in one go on large terrain brushes is a different matter :(

And don't go telling me to make my terrain out of tess cubes :D

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
This tends to stop the bug where three or more vertices stick together when you move them (but it still a'int perfect)

thats not a bug, it's a feature

you do know you can turn it off, dont you? :p

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
seriously, I could never go back to Ued's vertex editing - the very thought of having to deal with the vertex editing mode brings me out in a cold sweat.

ctrl+left click? we don't do that round here sir, you have to drag this here laggy red box over your verts then hope for the best

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Why are you all monkeying around with CTRL, SHIFT and big red boxes anyway?

All I've ever used is ALT+Vertex click.

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
seems that the vertex-function has its own individual life in every PC....

What are your experiences with the second methods. Functions without problems, so why did they include that vertex editiong button?

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
You can just click on a vertex and press Alt+drag to move it, or for editing larger sections/whole sides of brushes, go into vertex edit mode. Press Ctrl+Shift+Drag and drag out a box to select multiple vertecies. You then use Ctrl+drag to move them like you would a brush
VERY useful for terrain, but can be a bit prone to crashing if you're not carfull :mad: