Vehicle Speed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
What's with the vehicle speed?

I can't figure out whether the speed of the vehicles just seems unrealistically slow because it is accurately modelled, or whether it really is too slow.

None of the vehicles move as fast as I'd expect.

One of the curious things Tackmania did, which works suprisingly well, was to remove the top speed of the vehicles. You simply keep accelerating until you (eventually) smack into something. Might be a little extreme in this case - but worth a thought as it means you really do have to watch your speed.

While I'm on the subject, the vehicle booster behaviour seemed to be a little odd. That is, while the booster is active you can go marginally faster than normal - but as soon as it cuts out the speed drops instantly rather than reduces gradually to the vehicles normal top speed.

Does the code automatically clip the vehicles speed when the booster cuts out? I was toying with the idea of creating a booster section of track for a "Big Air" map, but if the vehicle speed is clipped then it wouldn't work.

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
As of now we don't have turbo anymore and we are working hard to increase vehicle speeds (hope you hear this Shrimp).

As a side note the caterpiller can now climb very steep hills!

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
The version we have and the version you have (beta3) are completely different in all aspects, vehicle wise. If you are going to make changes, i would suggest waiting until we release our next version. Unwheel no longer uses K-Vehicle at all.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Make changes ... moi? ... nah. I'm still trying to get used to the scaling of the vehicles.

How likely are you to be changing the vehicle scaling? What effect is the speed increase having on the maps?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Entr0p1cLqd said:
How likely are you to be changing the vehicle scaling?

The vehicles are 30% smaller in our newest version, that is how big they will be in the next release.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
As far as i'm aware I'm still able to easily get around most maps without using the brake, yes, we do actually have a brake, although most of you may never have used it before in previous betas :lol:

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
So am I correct in thinking that the vehicles should now be spaced 384 units apart, and a typical track width will be 512 units.

From ProjectX's comments it seems to me like the vehicle speed needs to be doubled again - Mwhahahaha.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Well I've designed a map with 90 degree turns only (UWRC-Industry) so that should keep you braking. But yes, the vehicles do need speeding up drastically still.