][v][P SexPistol wants back in!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SexPistol

Apr 14, 2003
Visit site
hey guys! i've been out of the game for almost four months now. i'm going through some serious withdrawl. i moved to CA from the east coast (drove) with only the bare essentials, and for whatever reason my computer didn't enjoy being in the trunk. damn thing won't even turn on now... it's an athlon 800 with 512mb of RAM, so it's not the end of the world.

but i need a new computer and i'm on a budget. i need one that'll run INF well enough so i can continue to kick most of your asses when i come back. i can only spend around $800 - 1,000 (at the most). i don't know a whole lot about building my own machine or where the best prices are... anyone care to offer some advice?

thanks guys. lookin forward to seeing you all soon on the servers...

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Um, can you send me your ram? Please?

Go to alienware.com and look at customising one of their high end machines to take the price off (get the cheapest stuff).

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
What exactly can you salvage from your old machine? A fairly decent monitor would slash the cost of a new PC. I'd advise against buying 2nd hand PC parts, can be a bit dubious. I can't really advise on where to buy stuff in the US, but if you need a hand configuring it, feel free to drop me a PM.

Contrary to cleve, ignore Alienware if you're on any kind of a budget. They are seriously overpriced (at least, they are over here).

w00p

Windows at its best
If you're on a really low budget, you should consider buying an older Voodoo3 3500...
One hint though, never install Directx 9 ;)
8.01 is the max you can go.

I can't get DX9 out of my system and running UT in software at 15 FPS everything extreme low on 800*600 isn't fun.
I'll soon reformat my HDD and reinstall everything, including DX 7 :p

I myself have a voodoo3 2000 accompanied with a 600MHz P3 and 128MD SDRAM and are used to 40FPS 1024*768 with the usual hickup. ;)
With a 3500 you should expect 50FPS on my system, now get a 1GHz processor and you've got a PC perfect for the UT99 engine that can manage UT2k3 and some heavier games at some lower settings and resolutions.
Basicly quite for your buck, especially since you can buy such a system second hand for around 200€ or new around 300-500€.
Though I don't think you'll ever be able to get a new V3...
3DFX is out of buissness since 2001 I believe. :(

Last edited:

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
I say go novatech.

They have really really cheap cards.

I wouldn't go cheap tho, about £100-£150 is a good price to pay for a card (a GOOD card).

Oh, and go ATi - there latest cards really own the Geforce ones :p

MP_MG

Dec 20, 2003
Damn Sex man I havn't seen you in a while, I moved out west (in Canada though) I brought my pc but I live on a farm and cant get internet connection, but I am moving into Calgary so I can get high speed, I will see you soon buddy :)

btw Sir Edmund, if you find an extra Glock 18 send me one ;)