1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UWRC-Colorado (Screenshots)

Discussion in 'Editing' started by UltraNew-B, May 16, 2004.

1. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

Finally got the vehicles ingame and working. It was a matter of simply connecting player starts to the vehicle spawn points through the tags.

But, to my horror, upon playing for the first time, the vehicles are not scaled to unreal player model scale :rolleyes:, the unwheel vehicles are gigantic on my track (20% larger) compared to the scale I based the track and objects on (unreal player models). So, it will all have to redone !! :mad: .

In the meantime, here are some pics of what i have done so far. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ]

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  2. ProjectX

ProjectX Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps

DONT REDO IT!!! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT ALL ACTORS AND GO TOOLS -> SCALE MAP!!!!!!!!

(You think he noticed?)

3. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

lol, why the giant text?

anyway, tried that, thx for the tip, but i still have to redo all the terrain no matter what, it does scale all the actors no problem, but the terrain is all outta whack after doing so.

4. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

NOOO!!!! YOU DON'T NEED TO REDO THE TERRAIN!! JUST OPEN THE TERRAIN PROPERTIES AND CHECK OUT THE TERRAINSCALE PROPERTY AND ADJUST IT TO MATCH THE NEW SCALE!!! (JUST WORK OUT BASED ON PERCENTAGES YOU USED FOR THE ACTOR SCALE ADJUSTMENT)

5. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

Bloody nice looking map too by the way :D

6. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

OH MY GOD THANKS GUYS!! (learn something new everyday :lol: )

Thanks guys, that worked perfect shrimp, you saved me hours of work (and headaches), thank you very very very much!!!! :)

Normal production has resumed again!! :)

7. raydream

raydream New Member

get this map up for download and i'll have your babies ;)

8. ProjectX

Sorry was gonna add that in an edit, but sadly was called away...

9. The_Devils_Avarcardo

The_Devils_Avarcardo UnWheel Vehicle Modeller

The map is looking completely awesome, brill job m8 ;)

10. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

OK, small update, next post I make will be the release. :) Just have some some small tweaking to do yet, layout is now complete, you can see the newest track section in the first pic. This map is big, my fastest lap is 1:48 secs. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Diego1203

Diego1203 Member

Looks real nice. Is it just me or is there no sunlight in those pics, It looks like ambient lighting only. At any rate it looks good and I'd love to play it.

12. ProjectX

you got a point there, it looks pretty dark even with the ambient light, not to mention there's no shadows so add a sunlight actor in there! (I recommend around 96-128 for brightness and a very pale yellow colour)

Also add a light, really far away from the main level (but not in the skybox) then set up a colour (put brightness to 0 tho) and set it as a corona. Put an impressively high radius on the light (i.e. 8192) and add a corona skin. Then in the corona properties set the max size to something like 100000 and you get a really nice glaring sun effect without it messing up your lighting levels.

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  13. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

This unfortunatly is one of the big downfalls of the ut2k4 engine, the default static mesh lighting (vertex lighting) is really, really poor. This can be remedied by making baking light maps onto the meshes, but even then, it still won't generate proper shadows on the ground. So, unless the level is made ENTIRELY in 3D MAX, we're stuck with sub-par lighting. :(

There is a sunlight actor already along with a low ambient light. It's an overcast sky, sun is not shining indeed, it's behind clouds, hence no shadows. Screenshots are darker than actual level.

The issue I am having atm pertains to the track section static meshes I made, if the sections are not perfectly aligned, the car hits the protruding road meshes collision hull and flys into the air, really annoying. If anyone has a quick solution to this, don't be shy :)

14. ProjectX

If it's an overcast sky you're planning for you'll have to change the skybox, there is far too much blue sky showing through for that kind of directive.

Oh and if you want this to become any more than a community mapping effort then you'll have to remove all corporate signs on the map (the image is blurred from distance but there looks to be a Shell insignia on one of the stands, if not then just ignore what I said)

15. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

I can make a grey sky no prob. The Sign names, they say "Sholl" and "Good Yar" :)

16. ProjectX

Oh right, we usually use "good game" but I think you'll have to change the logo for Sholl they protect the pictures as well.

17. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

OK, sky has been altered to grey sky, and logos have been modified.

18. maurice

maurice New Member

Yea, isn't that vertex lighting a pain eh? Setting bUnlit seems to be the best alternative.

I had exactly the same problem with cars catching on mis-aligned static meshes. Turn *all* collisions off and let the engine do vertex collision - that fixes it (at a performance cost, of course). Believe me, I spent weeks on this problem, there's no other solution. If you're want, open my ONS-SwissRace map and look at the settings of the mesh road sections. I wouldn't worry too much about little mis-aligments, it's impossible to get it pixel perfect due to the way the engine renders perspective (For example, I've seen road joints show up on some Gforce cards when viewed from 20'000+).

19. ProjectX

Please tell me you neve use unlit! unlit is worse than having poor lighting! It's no lighting! It's like playing Doom1

20. UltraNew-B

UltraNew-B UnWheel Team

Thanks a bunch Maurice, that fixed it up nicely. :)
    The map is now complete.

Since I have no place to upload a 6.5 Mb File, I have to unfortunatly, resort to FilePlanet :(. I have submitted it to FilePlanet, as soon as I get a link from them, I'll post it for you guys to download.