1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UWindow2 Development Blog

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by [SAS]Solid Snake, Feb 3, 2008.

1. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Minor Version 060708 of UWindow2 has been released. You can find it here:

http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/UWindow2

Minor versions each have about eight to ten hours put into them, so don't expect lots and lots of changes / fixes. However, if the changes / fixes were what you were looking for, then the minor revision update may be for you. Major revisions are released on a monthly basis, as by then it could be about thirty two to forty hours of work in the release.

Minor revisions are released so that people can update if they wish to, and to stop fears of this project being dead.

Enjoy!

2. Tweakd

Tweakd Multiplayer notepad ftw!

Well now that the keybinds work and i can only play offline, i think it's time to have a look at this.

3. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Which are changes of this update? I'll be using this for sure once these three features are added:
    - Can't bind some keys.
    - No botmatch settings.
    - No custom gametypes shown in the list/server browser.

Also been messing with the localization files and noticed the size of buttons and menus does not adapt to their ammount of text... ;)

PS: Make the botmatch window look like this and win a big cookie! :D

Attached Files:

4. Tweakd

G.Lecter head there for the changes.

SolidSnake this is just amazing. I'm really stunned at the amount of work you have done and the quality of the mod in such a short amount of time!

Anyway down to business. I've noted a couple of annoyances which you may or may not know.

- You need to be able to edit the text boxes in preferences (and everywhere else). For example setting my mouse sens to 375 was a difficult task with the slider.

- You need a Music on/off function. Currently the slider only goes to 1 which means you cant completely mute the music (unless i missed something?)

- Custom Gametypes are not detected.

- And what G.Lector said. A competent botmatch setup would be nice.

Thats all i have atm. I'll be sure to let you know if i find more. Oh and the last thing i wanted to ask. Is there ANY way to allow me to keep my old config files? What exactly do i need to change in my old configs to allow UWindows2 to run?

5. [SAS]Solid Snake

Thanks.

Yes, I can agree with that. It is on the to do list for the next minor release.

Ok, in the next minor release, I'll allow the sound adjustments to go down to zero, to signify 'Off'.

I'll look into this. Majority of the time when custom content is not detected, this is usually due to a lot of things, notably two things:
    a) Incorrect placement of the game type
    b) UWindow2 runs in the 'Published' mode. Any gametype which requires you to run in the 'Unpublished' mode must won't be detected. You can change UWindow2 to run in the 'Unpublished' mode though.
    However, I admit I have not tested custom gametypes at this stage and will do so for the next minor release.

There is. To do so, just copy all the UT* config files within UTGame\Config into UTGame\Config\UWindow.

From there, inside:
    UTEditor.ini
    Code:
    [ModPackages]
    ModPackagesInPath=..\UTGame\Src
    ModOutputDir=..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script
    ModPackages=UWindow

UTEngine.ini
    Code:
    [URL]
    MapExt=ut3
    Map=EnvyEntry.ut3
    LocalMap=EnvyEntry.ut3
    TransitionMap=EnvyEntry.ut3
    EXEName=UTGame.exe
    DebugEXEName=DEBUG-UTGame.exe
    GameName=Unreal Tournament 3
    GameNameShort=UT3

UTGame.ini
    Code:
    [Engine.GameInfo]
    DefaultGame=UWindow.UW_Game
    DefaultServerGame=UWindow.UW_Game
    PlayerControllerClassName=UWindow.UW_Controller
    GameDifficulty=+1.0
    MaxPlayers=32

I think those were the changes I made.

6. Tweakd

Thanks got it working with my own inis. For some reason i still had to map out my keybinds in Uwindows2 but it wasn't really a big problem.

I think you should set all sliders from 0-~100. For example the Goal Score and Time need be 0-100.

Oh and i'm not sure how you set up the Player name and clan tag. Atm i cant log in to gamespy because im offline. The Player login part of UW2 doesnt seem to do anything when I fill in my name and click "Play Offline". Not sure if you know why.

Anyway i'll definitely be using this from now on. :D

EDIT : Just noticed that there is currently no way to watch demos. I realize you could use the console window but it would be MUCH better having a list of recorded matches to select from.

Finally im sure you have been asked and probably tried this before but is there any way to get UW2 to show midgame? If not by replacing the in game menu (if its simply not possible) then by firing the menu up in game. Similar to a few other muts that have in game menus. UTComp or Biavote for example.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. [SAS]Solid Snake

Looks quite nice. I may do in future. It's hard to please everybody though. Some people may like the way it is currently setup, as it is very much how both UT2004 and UT3 handled botmatches.

Keybinds are stored in your profile. I missed this last time around hence why it not working.

Hmm, I see. I copied the upper limit for the Time from UT3 as that allowed a maximum of hour long matches (or infinite). Goal score is hard to determine using a slider ... but in light of that, I think I'll just make these two options an edit box so you can just type in how much you want.

Yeah I know. A lot of windows that don't seem polished, aren't. And that's because I rushed them for the MSUC entry. Turned out that in order to get the server browser working, I had to allow profiles. In order for people to use the server browser I needed to validate CD Keys ... thus the rushed Profile and CD Key windows were born. Eventually these windows will be finished.

Quite. I have yet to add the other several windows yet. Eventually I'll get round to it.

I am thinking about what the best way to do this is. Most of the problem comes from the fact that this is completely replacing the menu system rather than just adding to it.

Tweakd, please use my Mantis project page, as it is really hard to keep track of the bug reports on forums.

8. oakz

oakz New Member

I tried first public release and i gotta say that its awesome. However i couldnt try that much but there is some minor thing that i couldnt like. This is about sliders. Editing something on Slider bars are difficult to control. You need to hold mouse button and control slider vertically otherwise you cant control slider. Since my English sucks i think i cant tell my problem clearly. It would be better if slider mouse control were like in Ut3. And i am sorry if you cant understand a thing from this. :)

9. [SAS]Solid Snake

I think I know what you mean. In UT3 it seems that when you click a slider and hold the mouse button the slider will keep responding to the mouse movement, until you let go of the mouse. In UWindow2, you have to keep the mouse cursor on the slider or it will stop responding.

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

10. Tweakd

Well its great to see that you are thinking about it. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you can get something working well at some point in the future after the main menu is complete.

Bah, good for nothing deadlines. =p

Will do!

11. Cox

Cox New Member

Snake, how bout sorting servers by ping, players, maps etc?

12. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

Me still waits:D

13. [SAS]Solid Snake

Sorting is not a particularly easy thing to do right now, and I am still thinking exactly how to do it.

14. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

What exactly are you thinking about? If it's the code I can't give you any ideas but if it's about a system to make it work I think just a simple sort by clicking the tab will work. For example click once on Map, it sorts alphabetically from A to Z, a second time it sorts from Z to A, and it cycles when you click again... Same type of sorting for Ping, Server name, etc. ;)

15. [SAS]Solid Snake

I certainly know how sorting works Darkdrium, after all, I also use Windows XP and the various applications that run on that OS. It's a matter of how write the code for it.

16. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

I would use pencil and paper, because you can use an eraser/rubber to correct your mistakes

17. Tweakd

18. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Hehe :D

Just trying to help Snake. :) I'll be waiting then.

19. [SAS]Solid Snake

Minor revision 140708 is released.

Available here at http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/UWindow2

Change log
    • Fixed scrolling panel bug where the scroll bar when dragged would not go to 100%.
    • Added profile logging in offline and profile logging out.
    • Desktop information that is shown in the top right hand corner now displays current profile.
    • Changed credit text into paragraphs.
    • Paragraph components will use \n as new line operators.
    • Images can now also have an aspect ratio of 1.f
    • Server browser will inform you if you are required to log in online, or if your CD key is invalid.
    • Edit box for the mouse sensitivity is now enabled. Not quite finished as it does not validate your input.
    • Fixed rendering viewport checks within UW_Component.
    • CD Key window will inform you if your current CD Key is valid or not.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  20. Bersy

Bersy New Member

Great work Snake, sounds like you nailed a few key things.