1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UWindow2 Development Blog

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by [SAS]Solid Snake, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

2. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

Excellent progress.

For me, key to if i'll be using this or not day in day out is the server browser, and specifically friend tracking and the ability, post patch, to see who is playing on any server.

Because I guess you sett your settings the first week, and you rarely look at that again. But the default server browesr we suffer every day we play.

Have you had a chance to look at the beta patch changes, and will that functionality be possible for uWindows.

Thanks.

3. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

I like it so far. The text boxes didn't work for me, I can't edit them or even select them. Some rulers won't slide either. Hope there will be more releases in a near future.

4. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

I agree that the server browser and so forth is important, and I suppose many of you may be wondering why I didn't spend most of the month to write the server browser and other important features. It's actually because I wrote the system from the ground up. And I had to cram in a few of the windows as a last minute feature. So I fully agree that the server browser and so forth should be more than what it is now, it's simply that I ran out of time.

I focused on the preferences window because that window essentially has all of the important GUI widgets that most GUI's need.

Should be able to.

Thanks for trying it out! Some of the text boxes don't work because they've been set as read only, primiarly the ones used to display slider values. This was intentional, but I can see how it can be confusing now. I'll enable these in future. Which sliders in particular are you having problems with?

5. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Very nice, great news!
    I will download :)

6. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Some small feedback for the latest version:
    - a lot of the dialog windows miss the "Apply" and "Ok"/"Close" buttons, like Login, CD-Key or Preferences windows. On MS Windows it's very common thing and it's one of those things that you get used to much and absence of this is a bit... unsettling.
    - tab-key support to switch between window elements, if it's possible. it's another Windows-thing you get used to.
    - set console to tilde by default and move type somewhere else from Tab. F10 f.e.
    - when user opens console, focus is not being switched to console's input box
    - Keyboard config may not recognize certain keys for some reason, like Caps Lock or Middle Mouse in my case.
    - The Login failed message in case with wrong password does not fit the box on 1024x768

7. [FnG]Bawsy

[FnG]Bawsy New Member

Hi Solid!

First up - great work :) Will defo be used by me when the server browser is up and functional!

A problem though - mine looks nothing like yours! White background, and grey windows. Any reason why this would be? It just looks like a missing 'stylesheet' for want of a better term.

Cheers!

8. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

Particularly the ones in the dialog where you customize the player model. I tried to slide some of them, but I didn't find out how to alter them. On the other hand, there might have been only one allowed value for it.

I did miss the Goal Points, Number of Opponents, Bot Roaster and Mutator Configuration panels/dialogs as well as the in-game menu returning to the UWindows 2.0, not the original UI. Hope all that will come later on, but this sure looks promising. I'll stick with the regular UI for now, but once UWindows start to fully function I'll use it all the time instead. If this turns out to work perfect, I think Epic should include it in one of their patches or bonus packs.

The menus look a little plain, some textures could prove useful.

9. [SAS]Solid Snake

It is functional.

If you are getting the white port error, then make sure you have properly uninstalled the older versions I have released in the past. First uninstall the one you have now, and delete the files manually. This is mentioned on the website, http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/UWindow2 under Notes.

Some characters do not have any settings for them. To verify this, load up UT3 normally, and you'll notice some of the settings are set as 0/0.

As I stated in the read me, this version of UWindow2 is not intended to be complete.

10. [FnG]Bawsy

[FnG]Bawsy New Member

Sorry, meant fully functional ;)

11. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

For CD key, if you enter it wrong, it doesn't work when you correct it you have to exit and retry.

I can't seem to join a game - the options are greyd out. It's probably me failing to log in for some reason.

12. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Some problem: It's great that you got custom content recognized but you can for example launch custom DM maps in Warfare. :eek:
    Apart from that, you should add the "Rules" tab to the "Start Practice" section, after the "Map" tab, so we can adjust the bot skill, game time, etc., as well as a "Configure" button on the "Mutators" page. ;)
    I have not tried anything else though, but amazing job on making this possible :)

13. [SAS]Solid Snake

Thanks for the support! :D

We have opened up our Mantis project management page for the public here: http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/mantis/

The UWindow2 project is open to the public, so if you have any bugs, features or other issues to log then please do so here.

14. soulhunter123

soulhunter123 New Member

This isn't mentioned anywhere - does this require the latest UT3 patch? Or does it only work with version 1 of the game? Because mine just kept using the normal menu system, even though I installed UWindow2 and ran it from the shortcuts. I'm using the latest UT3 patch.

EDIT: I re-installed v1 of UT3 from the disc, and it still isn't working. I did delete all previous UT3-related files from all directories, so as far as I can tell I've done nothing wrong. When I start up UT3 using the uWindow shortcut, it just runs the normal menu system. Help! :p

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  15. [SAS]Solid Snake

It should work using version 1.1 and 1.2 as these two versions were my test platforms during development. These are the short cuts provided within the UWindow2 folder in the start menu?

Inside \UTGame\Logs, there is a file called Launch.log which will contain information about the last time you ran UT3. Run UWindow2, and send you log file to me at james.tan @ digitalconfectioners.com

16. Bersy

Bersy New Member

It also works with 1.3

but not 1.0

17. Mabz

Mabz New Member

Mine does that too.

18. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Again, UWindow2 does not work with v1.0 of UT3. You need at least Patch 1.1.

We've confirmed it works on 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3b1, but NOT on 1.0.

19. Acyd

Acyd New Member

First impressions:

Download took about 15 min for the file. Install went smooth. Upon starting the game, found that I had to sit through the intro movies I had set to be skipped. Game is obviously reading some other ini's than mine. Interface is very UT99. I had to re-enter my CD key. I realized I was going to have to do all my settings again when I noticed the FOV slider was not what I had it set to. Tried to rebind my weapon keys, for ten minutes I tried to get Alt Fire bound to Mouse3 and mini bound to ; key, vehicle horn to H key, a few others. I simply couldn't get it. Some keys would work, some I just could not bind.

It's already uninstalled.

I had, and still have, a lot of hope for this mod, let us know when it's done.:eek:

20. [SAS]Solid Snake

You had set these either by a shortcut or by setting the ini variable. Either set this in the UWindow2 shortcut or modify UWindow2's ini's.

Yes. This decision was made because a lot of people did not like having to override some of the default ini's or having to manually edit their own configuration files. Thus, I used a sub configuration directory, which will create new configuration files upon start up.

The CD Key was stored within the config files, where it should have been stored in the registry. It's annoying, thus when the new configuration files are created it isn't set.

I am looking at how I handle key binds. I probably did not do this in the correct manner to be honest and I will definately be looking into this.

Well, I appreciate that you spent some time to download and try UWindow2.

Definately.