UWindow2 Development Blog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
Very cool. I had been messing around with the last build a bit more and one of the things I was going to suggest was improving the performance, but it seems like you've already done that.

One question I had though... for the final release will UW2 run on its own config files or can I use my existing configs with just the new UI? The only reason I ask is that it would be a pain to reconfigure everything all over again when using UW2.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
I was thinking about custom factions, having a drop down menu would become handy if they have custom made genders (an hypothetical skaarj faction that instead of having male and female has 3 skaarj types that you could choose from that selection). But if that's not possibile then the toggle is indeed the best choice.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Not a question of possibility, but as a man of science (with a handy medical degree) the biological nature of a third gender makes little sense. Also I highly doubt anyone is going to go as far as to create a new gender. A new alien species, new faction are all possible. But typically people associate player models with either male or female (even the robots have a genderized voice).

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
A checkbox is usually something you use when there is a group of items that you can turn on or off independently (i.e. the group items are not mutually exclusive). When the items are mutually exclusive you use a radio item group.

Checkboxes are often (ab)used for boolean settings, while it's (for various) reason better to use 2 radio items for the true and false value.

In this case it would be better to have;
Instead of:
Female: [ ]

The latter is simply easier to implement than the former and more space efficient. The former is more user friendly and semantically correct (because it gives an exhaustive list of values for that category). It also adds the ability to provide context sensitive help to the individual options.

Last edited:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
What elmuerte says. And to add to that: it just makes more sense using a dropdown box. You don't turn on your property Female, you choose between Male or Female. :)

ihaulchems

May 26, 2008
Man you are awesome Snake Why arent you working for these guys to improve the next installment of UT.I'm gonne email epic and midway ...as if I am the inly one.I want you to get paid handsomely for this work. I would but I have 4 kids and besides your fixing there screw up.they should let you collaberate on the patches. Thanks..roger out.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
dropdown box isn't the prober UI element for only a very small amount of options, in case of 3 or 4 options or less you can better use radio buttons than a dropdown list (or in case there isn't a fixed set of options to choose from).