1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UWindow2 Development Blog

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by [SAS]Solid Snake, Feb 3, 2008.

1. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

What was the problem that you were having? So that others can try the fix so that they can also try it out.

2. [SAS]Solid Snake

[screenshot]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95805&stc=1&d=1213448931[/screenshot]

Not much time to go, still got a lot of work to do.

3. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Looks fantastic, as usual :)

4. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Yeah its really starting to come along now, great stuff :)

5. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

I don't remember if this was already answered in one of the older posts, but since i'm seeing you're starting to write some of the menus the question came to me... are you handling text localisation in some way or another?

Would be nice to have an .ini with all the text used on the menu so that someone could translate it into other languages. I, for example, wouldn't mind to do the italian translation for the whole thing :)

6. [SAS]Solid Snake

Download Progress Release dated 16th June, 2008

It only occured to me that localization is actually required and I had not thought of it just yet. It is pretty low priority at this stage, but if I have time to fit it in, I will do so.

With the deadline closing in fast, I'm coding as fast as I can to finish things up. During my experiments with configs, it appears that Unreal Tournament 3 splits up certain options into two areas, system and user. It appears that most of the system specific things are things like resolution, fullscreen and so forth where as other smaller options such as gore level, post processing is stored in the user profile. This raises an interesting question, I originally wanted to remove the whole user profile thing which I've done. But with some of those settings stored in the user profile, it looks like I may need to bring it back. So I'm considering to make three different types of profiles. Default with basic options, Offline with all options and Online with all options.

The default behaviour is to not load any profiles, unless a profile is tagged to be loaded automatically (and has no password). Online profiles will never be automatically used in case the GameSpy server goes down. When you use the 'Find Internet Games' it will attempt to login then.

With eleven days to go, I've still got quite a lot of work ahead of me to do. Looks like it's crunch time for the last ten days or so.

[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95830&stc=1&d=1213544486[/SCREENSHOT]

• All of the menu options found in UT99 are slotted in
    • Main menu appears a lot like UT99 now
    • Still need to code the main menu properly. When opened they don't close unless you choose an option or click on the drop down button again. The menus also do not auto drop down when hovering over the focused main menu bar.
    • Tools drop down menu complete (only two functions, showing the console window and showing the log window)
    • Unreal Tournament 3 credits window complete
    • Video Panel semi complete [sliders are still not working at the moment]
    • Scroll bars are not functional at the moment (but the slider buttons and mouse wheel do work)
    • Smooth scrolling for both text and images
    • Practise Session/Botmatch has stayed the same
    • Game version and Engine version are displayed on the top right hand corner
    • Top right hand corner full screen toggle is not currently functioning
    • Console window is working, and can be used. Access is available as 'tilde' and using the Tools menu.

Any other bugs than the ones listed above, please let me know. More to come!

7. G.Lecter

G.Lecter Registered Tester

Awesome!, no problems this time, first attempt worked! :tup:
    Gave it a quick look and noticed some things, though you might be aware of them already:
    - The list of resolutions in the Preferences window needs a scrolling bar, it goes off the screen when you run the game at lower resolutions...
    - Hitting ESC during a match does show the old crap UI.
    - Window sizes are not remembered (resize a window, close it, open again and it's back to default size).
    - Maps are not shown in alphabetical order, and custom maps are not shown at all... :(
    - Gametype tab is not neccesary IMO, just place a dropping menu in the Map tab as in UT99.
    - The screenshot-loading screen looks disproporcionated, I dunno if it's intentional (I can post a screenshot if it isn't), but it doesn't look right IMO. Screen fading to black and Spinning Unreal logo on the left bottom corner, perhaps? ;)

Still a lot to do, good luck on the MSUC, though you don't really need it! :D

[Edit] I can do the Spanish localization if you decide to support it... :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  8. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

That's not how it behaved in Unreal Tournament.

9. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

Then I see room for improvement. ;)

10. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

I agree ;)

11. [SAS]Solid Snake

I'll try adding that, although I need proper detection of where it should go to get the best loction (position upwards etc).

To retain server / multiplayer compatiability I can't have any of my packages/objects running during matches or it will be deemed as a potential security cheat. So unfortunately, once you are in the game, you're stuck.

Yes, I have the config system done for uWindows2, but I have not added this to windows. Must do so for the next progress release.

Sorting of maps isn't something that has concerned me at this stage. Custom maps are still on the todo list. It's to do with the way map information is stored in UT3. It's a lot different to UT2004. I sort of whipped up the current detection method very quickly.

I could do that, and have considered so, but there is a lot of extra information about gametypes that can also go on the screen.

I agree, but yes, still more work to do!

Thanks for the comments.

12. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

Looks really damn good. Nice and simple!!

13. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Isn't there some way to bind a key that recalls/reloads UWindows once you need return to menu (even if you have to disconnect first from server)?

14. [SAS]Solid Snake

In game menu has to be the default, but if you do go back to the main menu, uWindows comes back.

15. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Can you make it work so long as you are playing locally/on a lan?

"security" and package issues aside, could you make the main menu UI come up during a game if you wanted to?

Finally, in the options window are you/are you planning to put in options that the normal UI doesnt have a control for? (i.e. motion blur, antialiasing/anisotropic filtering, etc)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  16. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

I wasn't aware such security was implemented or released. Did you decide not to implement it so you couldn't ever have this problem, or did you already ran into it?

Tbh, your work has much potential. If you would finish it at some point, it could be included in a bonus pack and then you wouldn't have to worry about it. :)

17. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

Whew, I'm late to this thread, and can't wait to try it out.

For me, the things I'd really want to see when I look for a server to join
    -Who else is playing
    -Where my friends are playing (without having to go all the way to the community submenus)

-Also an option to leave it on online would be good so I'd never have to see the horrible old UI again.

18. boogler

boogler Banned

nice work D: maybe when this is in it's final release epic can pay you and add this to a bonus pack...then maybe you can have the uWindows during gameplay since the mod would be approved by epic. Besides...there is no cheat protection in this game anyway ;)...and are you still gonna implement the option to switch between the menu styles of ut99/2003/2004/UT3 ?

19. [SAS]Solid Snake

Unknown at this point. I will have to test it out, but it depends how the main menu's are called. In UT2004 you had to override the game type to do it, and this of course poses a problem for online play.

I could, but its pretty low priority.

I'll see what I can do, but for the time being it's about trying to get more of the UI fleshed out and done. The amount of things you can do with uWindows2 right now is quite small. Right now you can start a botmatch (with a few options), configure your video settings, using the console command and see the credits. That's not very useful yet, so instead of sweating the small stuff, I need to complete the big picture first.

Thanks. Just need to finish as many of the GUI features as possible and then see if I can do the small things.

I simply don't know yet if it is possible to do without running into version mismatch errors or whatever else. I'll look at it if I have time.

Only if I have time. Right now, there is till much else to do.

Download Progress Release dated 17th of June, 2008

[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95843&stc=1&d=1213637606[/SCREENSHOT]

• Main menu now has the desired functionality as seen in UT99
    • The main menu lists now have proper list highlighting. Will have to add this to the other lists too.
    • Added Active / inactive action detection
    • Added UT99 sounds and sound playback as an action
    • Removed the old hard coded console summoning method, and replaced it with the flexible uWindows2 style window summoning method
    • Windows now remember their locations. Will not work as expected if you open multiple instances of the same window (the last closed will be the dimensions saved)
    • Upper right hand corner full screen / windowed toggle works
    • Completed the video panel within the preferences window. You are now able to configure the settings for UT3.
    • Default profile system used, thus you are not required to make a profile or log in/log out now. If you do not make a profile, one will be automatically generated for you and set as the system defaults. The profile is called 'Player'.
    • Audio panel within the preferences window has been laid out, but no functionality has been inserted just yet.

Still a lot more work to do.

20. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Every day brings a much needed sigh of relief. :)